TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
mcharkowski said:
I don't understand why people around here keep telling others that 11g adapters don't make any real difference in speed. I went from a D-Link DWL-122(11B) where I was getting ~250k/s, to a D-Link DWL-G122(11G) and had my transfer rates just about double to ~475k/s. Granted, the whole network should be switched to G to achieve this performance, cuz as soon as you throw a B client on the network things will slow down.
I was going to start a whole new thread on this but this seems like a relevant place to post my results.

For years I've been running an old Linksys BEFW11S4 Ver 4 on 802.11b using WEP128 - just for the Tivos in the house. The laptops were running on a separate "G only" Linksys WRT54GS V1.1 with WPA.

Yesterday I got rid of the BEFW11S4 (it's on Ebay now) and created a "B only" network on a Linksys WRT54GS V2.0. (Both WRT54Gs are running firmware 4.70.6)

I never used MRV much due to the low transfer speeds. Much to my surprise, using an updated router really increased my throughput! On a show without any commercials (e.g. public television), I could start the transfer (recorded at medium speed), wait maybe 10 minutes, and never have to wait for further transfers!

[Edit to add medium speed detail]

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.