TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded the latest version of the Azureus client a few weeks back and I'd love to be able to download/purchase some of their commercial content if I could transfer the shows to TiVo. It looks like they use Microsoft DRM so I assume that it probably difficult/impossible to do this, but thought I'd see if anyone else has given this a shot. There are some music videos and BBC shows that I'd like to check out, but the 12" monitor and lack of speakers on the PC makes this less than appealing.

-Dylan

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know it's 2 years since you posted this but Vuze and Tivo now work brilliantly together - much more reliably that the Tivo desktop software IMHO and in my experience.

·
yes, I AM orangeboy!
4,090 Posts
Please elaborate on how they work together...

Thanks!
It appears that Vuze is an "all-in-one" application that fuses a torrent client, transcoder, and Tivo HME(?)/Tivo ToGo(?) together. In a nutshell, you search for the content you want to view and download it to your computer using the built in torrent client. You can then transcode a copy of the file for use with a Series 3 Tivo. A Vuze folder shows up in the Tivo's Now Playing List, which contains a list of transcoded file(s) ready for download to the Tivo.

I've used it a couple of times now without any problems. I'm sure there are more features that I haven't explored yet that some/others would find useful. If you want more technical info about it, the folks here can probably explain it better than I can!

HTH!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Click the "Learn More" button on the bottom of this page:

http://www.vuze.com/devices/index.html

Edit:

I had an older version of Vuze that didn't have Tivo support but it did work with the Xbox 360, I used it a few times and it worked well. I just upgraded and now I can see all 3 of my Tivos. One inconvenience is all 3 Tivos are named "Tivo". You can right click on the device and select "Properties" to see the name of the Tivo then rename the device but I don't know why they couldn't do that for us.

·
Jstrazz
19 Posts
It appears that Vuze is an "all-in-one" application that fuses a torrent client, transcoder, and Tivo HME(?)/Tivo ToGo(?) together. In a nutshell, you search for the content you want to view and download it to your computer using the built in torrent client. You can then transcode a copy of the file for use with a Series 3 Tivo. A Vuze folder shows up in the Tivo's Now Playing List, which contains a list of transcoded file(s) ready for download to the Tivo.

I've used it a couple of times now without any problems. I'm sure there are more features that I haven't explored yet that some/others would find useful. If you want more technical info about it, the folks here can probably explain it better than I can!

HTH!
I used Vuze for a few days, then I discovered that when I shut down my computer or the Vuze application, my wireless router quit working. I've had to unplug the router and plug it back in to get my network running again. I have since trashed it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't know Vuze had added Tivo to it's transcoding options - that's pretty cool. However, I'd be more impressed if it *streamed* video to the Tivo, instead of requiring a transfer.

The last time I used Vuze, about 6 months ago, it starting crashing and causing problems with IE. It was a pretty nice torrent client, though.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I downloaded the MSNBC Countdown podcast using Miro and dragged it to the Vuze window and Vuze converted it to the vob format. I thought Tivo could read m4v files, according to the Tivo Desktop Plus page. Do you need the Plus version to read them or does it also convert them?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use Vuze for downloading, but pyTivo for Tivo transfer. One big disadvantage of Vuze for transcoding is that it does that on your PC - so it's storing both the original AND transcoded copies, and you can't start transferring to Tivo until the transcoding is done.

I use pyTivo, and just set my pyTivo share folder to be by Vuze download folder, and pyTivo transcodes on-the-fly so you don't have the double storage, or the wait.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I use Vuze for downloading, but pyTivo for Tivo transfer. One big disadvantage of Vuze for transcoding is that it does that on your PC - so it's storing both the original AND transcoded copies, and you can't start transferring to Tivo until the transcoding is done.

I use pyTivo, and just set my pyTivo share folder to be by Vuze download folder, and pyTivo transcodes on-the-fly so you don't have the double storage, or the wait.
maybe they updated it but you can transfer while it is still transcoding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts