TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have seen cradles for phones that let you use a land line phone to make calls. Its usefully to take advantage of all those n/w minutes you get. You might look into something like that. I am not sure if the line quality will be enough for data transfer. You might just want to get broadband if its available and a network adapter for the TiVo

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
I read a couple years back of one guy who said he got his TiVo to dial out via a cell phone, but frankly it seemed like a lot work, and not really worth it unless it is your only option. As others have said if you have broadband internet (cable or DSL) you can get an adapter for your TiVo cheaply and have it connect for guide data that way, as a bonus you also get access to a bunch of other features that TiVo has been rolling out over the last couple of years that only work for people who have their TiVo hooked up to a network. Let us know if you need more information.

-Dylan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for not flaming me guys. Soon after I posted I realized I hadn't read enough of the forum. Thanks for the info as well. Broadband does seems like it might be the way for me. Currently I have an HDR212.If anyone could point me out to a starting point I would like to get it on a network.

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
This thread should be useful in getting your Series 1 to work over broadband. The Turbonet route is probably the easiest in the long run, but is a bit expensive at first, especially if you want to go the wireless route.

-Dylan

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It should be easy but :

1. You have to have a cell phone capable of data services (most are)
2. You have to sign up for data services for your cell phone. This may be expensive.
3. You need to find a serial data cable for your phone, and almost all are now USB.

You would then configure your Tivo to treat the cell phone just like an external modem. Without flow control on the serial port, I wouldn't go faster than 9600. Most cell phones that support serial should support that baud rate. Phone numbers are:

*99***1# for GSM/GPRS (assuming it's configured as connection #1 in for mobile phone).
#777 for CDMA

There are, of course, many things that could go wrong with this setup. But I know in theory it should work.

Most people just give up and do PPP over serial or sell their Series 1 and get a Series 2. Turbonet is expensive.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts