TiVo Community Forum banner
1921 - 1940 of 1953 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Yep. What mystifies me about that Tablo HDMI-connected model DVR is why they didn't build it atop Android TV so that it could be a full-on streamer, with access to the Google Play app store, in addition to being an OTA DVR. Could've been a do-it-all-in-one box.
I don't think it's the market, most people who are going to stream have been and have devices already. Streaming has become a mature market and devices are cheap.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I don't think it's the market, most people who are going to stream have been and have devices already. Streaming has become a mature market and devices are cheap.
Sure, but if you can combine everything in one device/remote/input, it's always better. I watch live and recorded OTA TV, along with all the various streaming apps, on my Apple TV 4K. Way better situation overall than when I used a TiVo Roamio OTA and an Apple TV separately.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
I'd say Google probably blinked and Disney got pretty much what they wanted.
Why do you say that? Peacock lost out in their negotiation.

·
I'm back!
34,351 Posts
For me anyway, all of the ABC channels show up at the bottom of both my custom channel list so people might have to do some re-sorting.

They also might not show up in your custom channel list unless you add them back.

I did some poking around last night that might have affected what I'm seeing. My experiences above.

·
FUBAR
4,839 Posts
I have some streaming I use, not Youtube, but none of the streaming I use or have tried can compare to having your own DVR.
The biggest difference is the ability to slow down playback, particularly with sports. Another DVR betterment is skipping commercials;
the jump forward 30 seconds or backward 10 seconds is much more precise and easier to do with a DVR. The list of recorded content
is in one place and easy to navigate on a DVR. On streaming I have to look around thru all kinds of icons and banners of stuff
they want me to watch or buy, eventually getting to my recorded content.
The Tivo playback experience will always be heads and shoulders above streaming, and is the main reason why I stay with cable. Easy comskip and quick play are invaluable.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Why do you say that? Peacock lost out in their negotiation.
Well, Disney has a stronger hand to play than NBCU, given the popularity of ESPN. And while NBCU didn't succeed in getting Peacock bundled in with YTTV, they almost certainly they got higher carriage rates for their existing channels.

I suspect YTTV was seeing lots of folks hit that cancel button during those 36 hours after they dropped the Disney nets. Folks wanting to see all those college football bowl games on those channels, plus everyone losing their local ABC station. What Google really wanted, based on the language in their press release, was "most favored nation" status, i.e. an agreement that their carriage rates for the Disney nets wouldn't be any higher than the lowest rates negotiated by other similar-sized MVPDs (which would include Hulu with Live TV). I don't think they got that.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
and yet YTTV has added the Crown Media Hallmark channels, restored the Disney networks and rates haven't gone up. I would call that a win for YoutubeTV

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
and yet YTTV has added the Crown Media Hallmark channels, restored the Disney networks and rates haven't gone up. I would call that a win for YoutubeTV
The rates currently being charged to customers hasn't gone up (yet). I guarantee you that the rates YTTV pays to Disney are going up.

They've added a lot of channels at various times and have seen their rate go from $35 to $40 to $50 to $65 (while also losing nearly all RSNs after the jump to $65). I suspect that that last price increase, combined with dropping those RSNs, made YTTV actually profitable and bought them a little breathing room, which allowed for the addition of the Hallmark and Sony (GSN, GetTV) nets here recently.

But I'll be pretty surprised if we don't see them follow Hulu Live's lead and bump the price up from $65 to $70 at some point in 2022. And as they've done with all earlier price hikes (and as Hulu Live just did with their $5 increase), I expect we'll see YTTV add some additional content to coincide with the rate increase. Most likely candidates to be added are Magnolia (new Discovery net launching in early Jan.) and/or the A+E nets (History, Lifetime, etc.). May also see them add a few more of those little fledgling channels that are available free via OTA and streaming, e.g. Newsy, Circle, Buzzr.

·
Cranky old novice
9,379 Posts
………….
But I'll be pretty surprised if we don't see them follow Hulu Live's lead and bump the price up from $65 to $70 at some point in 2022. ………..
After all that's only a 7.7% increase, probably about what inflation will be by the time they do it. :mad:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm in the process of cord cutting.

I purchased 2 lifetime 4 tuner Premiers from eBay (both with 2Gb) and 5 minis in 2014. One Premiere was a spare but later became a 'mini server' while the other one did all the recording. Now they're all boxed and I'm expecting to pass them along someday.

The plan is to change my Comcast service to Internet and all locals (basic TV) only, upon the next contract renewal, saving me about $70 / month. I watch all Comcast now using Roku or Fire TV using the Xfinity Stream app. It's a little clumsy but I only watch a few channels on it now and not very often.

The $70/month savings should make a big dent, or maybe even pay for, all the no commercial streaming apps I use. Much of what I watched on Comcast now come from Discovery+, Peacock Premium, or another app. These are channels I already buy, so in actuality, the $70 / month is pure savings. Since in most cases every episode is always available on demand without commercials, I have little need to DVR anymore.

The plan is to pay $25 / month to Philo if I decide normal TV is needed again. It offers what I could ever want to watch and has no wretched cable news channels.

The hardest part of the switch was the mental adjustment needed to watch TV in a new way .... no DVR or TV Guide. I also figure I'm saving about $4 / month in electricity - not a deal breaker but interesting. Cell phones only in the household, too.

·
Cranky old novice
9,379 Posts
I'm in the process of cord cutting.

I purchased 2 lifetime 4 tuner Premiers from eBay (both with 2Gb) and 5 minis in 2014. One Premiere was a spare but later became a 'mini server' while the other one did all the recording. Now they're all boxed and I'm expecting to pass them along someday.

The plan is to change my Comcast service to Internet and all locals (basic TV) only, upon the next contract renewal, saving me about $70 / month. I watch all Comcast now using Roku or Fire TV using the Xfinity Stream app. It's a little clumsy but I only watch a few channels on it now and not very often.

The $70/month savings should make a big dent, or maybe even pay for, all the no commercial streaming apps I use. Much of what I watched on Comcast now come from Discovery+, Peacock Premium, or another app. These are channels I already buy, so in actuality, the $70 / month is pure savings. Since in most cases every episode is always available on demand without commercials, I have little need to DVR anymore.

The plan is to pay $25 / month to Philo if I decide normal TV is needed again. It offers what I could ever want to watch and has no wretched cable news channels.

The hardest part of the switch was the mental adjustment needed to watch TV in a new way .... no DVR or TV Guide. I also figure I'm saving about $4 / month in electricity - not a deal breaker but interesting. Cell phones only in the household, too.
Understood, but for many people "no DVR or TV Guide" is a very hard pill to swallow! Another irritant is the lack of a single UI providing access to multiple streaming services. There have been some attempts at this but none very successful AFAIK. I cut the cable two years ago and don't plan to go back, so don't think I'm arguing against that. I just hope it eventually gets more simple to implement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Understood, but for many people "no DVR or TV Guide" is a very hard pill to swallow! Another irritant is the lack of a single UI providing access to multiple streaming services. There have been some attempts at this but none very successful AFAIK. I cut the cable two years ago and don't plan to go back, so don't think I'm arguing against that. I just hope it eventually gets more simple to implement.
I like the clean Roku interface. Fire TV and Android are more powerful, but also more cluttered. I found out it's pretty easy to keep on top of what show is in which place. Agree the Guide was hard to leave. That thing regulates people's lives. Philo provides a guide and for much less per month, but without locals.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Understood, but for many people "no DVR or TV Guide" is a very hard pill to swallow! Another irritant is the lack of a single UI providing access to multiple streaming services. There have been some attempts at this but none very successful AFAIK.
The Apple TV app on the Apple TV box (not other devices) is excellent. It integrates content from all the major streaming services (with the notable exception of Netflix) and gives you a single watchlist called Up Next that keeps up with where you're at in each series you're watching and also lets you save movies there for watching later. The app also includes lists of recommended content from across various apps, especially the ones you use. It's very slick.

Apple TV app

The next-best thing is probably the Google TV homescreen (found on the new Chromecast and a few recent model smart TVs), which has a Continue Watching row that tracks the series and movies you've begun watching but haven't finished, and a separate Watchlist row that you can add individual titles to to start on later. It has a lot of individualized recommendations of content from the major apps (although not from Netflix, who generally refuses to participate in universal cross-app UIs).

Google TV

·
Under Maintenance
26,506 Posts
The Apple TV app on the Apple TV box (not other devices) is excellent. It integrates content from all the major streaming services (with the notable exception of Netflix) and gives you a single watchlist called Up Next that keeps up with where you're at in each series you're watching and also lets you save movies there for watching later. The app also includes lists of recommended content from across various apps, especially the ones you use. It's very slick.

Apple TV app
I wouldn't say it's excellent, but it's better than anyone else has done so far. I'd love it if Apple would take it a step farther and give us a Grid or List version of Up Next which only includes shows we are tracking and the App they are on and not include every single thing we've clicked on recently, (yes I know you can delete them). Something similar to TiVo's Now Playing list would be excellent.

ETA: The Reelgood App is okay too but it requires too much user interaction in order to be accurate.

1921 - 1940 of 1953 Posts