TiVo Community Forum banner
1901 - 1920 of 1953 Posts

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Trying to understand the YTTV GUI is probably more work than implementing Channels.
As someone who did the home grown DVR thing for years, I have to disagree. For me, understanding YTTV is far easier than buying and setting up an antenna, network tuner, NAS and setting up Channels. I can just imagine my 85 year old mother setting up such a system versus using YTTV.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
As someone who did the home grown DVR thing for years, I have to disagree. For me, understanding YTTV is far easier than buying and setting up an antenna, network tuner, NAS and setting up Channels. I can just imagine my 85 year old mother setting up such a system versus using YTTV.
First this would be a great opportunity for Best Buy's geek squad. Second the market is a little bigger than 85 year old grandmas. Third after I got my antenna installed I simply plugged it into my HdHomeRun box and Channels immediately saw it and provisioned all the channels available on the antenna. I did not have to do anything.

Lastly the geeks are the ones going down the NAS route and saving every show as if they want to compete with Netflix. Install a MacMini, install Channels server are both pretty much simple next/next/next operations.
Adding a source may take a few extra steps and setting up prioritization's may be a little much for the 85 year old grandma but I suspect the younger generation will have no problem. Lastly there are some pretty smart 85 year old grandmas out there.

Lastly once you have Channels installed you have no headache if you decide to change providers. You can hop around between Xfinity, YTTV, Sling, DirectTv Stream, ... and not have to redo you season passes or get a new box. Tell me who else can do that?

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
You've conveniently omitted the startup cost of an HDHomeRun.
One and done! Which can be mitigated by the ability to switch streaming providers to get their latest deals.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Not to mention millions of people can't get OTA signals, OTA is line of sight which rules out people with indoor antennas on the wrong side of a building (mostly renters). Outdoor antennas are not a option for many people.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Not to mention millions of people can't get OTA signals, OTA is line of sight which rules out people with indoor antennas on the wrong side of a building (mostly renters). Outdoor antennas are not a option for many people.
Its not always about antennas. The point is antennas are one solution and if it works go for it. You can get locals through lots of places: Xfinity, YTTV, Hulu, DTV Stream, Fumo, Sling, …

if 0ne of them goes (not a carriage dispute. You can sign up/switch for another for a month or permanently and not have to change your interface or season passes. Can TiVo do that? Can Xfinitys X1? It's one interface for all that allows you to pick and choose and does not charge more for additional TVs.

The one downside is that not every channel is available as a TVE channels but most are. In that case you can resort back to the original source if need be.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
First this would be a great opportunity for Best Buy's geek squad. Second the market is a little bigger than 85 year old grandmas. Third after I got my antenna installed I simply plugged it into my HdHomeRun box and Channels immediately saw it and provisioned all the channels available on the antenna. I did not have to do anything.

Lastly the geeks are the ones going down the NAS route and saving every show as if they want to compete with Netflix. Install a MacMini, install Channels server are both pretty much simple next/next/next operations.
Adding a source may take a few extra steps and setting up prioritization's may be a little much for the 85 year old grandma but I suspect the younger generation will have no problem. Lastly there are some pretty smart 85 year old grandmas out there.

Lastly once you have Channels installed you have no headache if you decide to change providers. You can hop around between Xfinity, YTTV, Sling, DirectTv Stream, ... and not have to redo you season passes or get a new box. Tell me who else can do that?
I'm glad to hear how easy it is. But it's still nowhere near as easy as launching the YTTV app. Also, if I already have a cloud DVR service like YTTV, why would I need a redundant DVR? (That's a rhetorical question we've beaten to death in other threads).

I'm glad you like Channels, but I will never want or need it; nor do I have any desire for more complexity or fees. Sorry. I'll stick with YTTV, and so will grandma since she shares my account and her antenna only picks up 2 channels, neither of which is ABC.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I'm glad to hear how easy it is. But it's still nowhere near as easy as launching the YTTV app. Also, if I already have a cloud DVR service like YTTV, why would I need a redundant DVR? (That's a rhetorical question we've beaten to death in other threads).

I'm glad you like Channels, but I will never want or need it; nor do I have any desire for more complexity or fees. Sorry. I'll stick with YTTV, and so will grandma since she shares my account and her antenna only picks up 2 channels, neither of which is ABC.
Yeah, I honestly can't imagine trying to do long-distance-phone IT support for my elderly parents if and when something inevitably went wrong with Channels DVR if I were to set that up for them.

Don't get me wrong, I think Channels DVR looks very slick and it's great for folks who are at least somewhat technically inclined. But it ain't for grandma.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Hmm, less than six hours to midnight ET when Disney-owned channels will go dark on YTTV unless a deal is struck (or negotiations are extended). I figured they would've come to a new agreement by now, and they may still before the day is done. If the article below is correct, the last time Disney was involved in a blackout was in 2010 when some Disney-owned ABC stations disappeared from Cablevision (now Altice) for 21 hours.

YouTube TV vs. Disney: 5 things to know about the possible blackout | TechHive

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Yeah, I honestly can't imagine trying to do long-distance-phone IT support for my elderly parents if and when something inevitably went wrong with Channels DVR if I were to set that up for them.

Don't get me wrong, I think Channels DVR looks very slick and it's great for folks who are at least somewhat technically inclined. But it ain't for grandma.
If tech isn't turnkey..people will not use it. For the most part Tivo's using OTA with a strong signal have been turnkey. Hook up the cables including the one straight into the TV, no mandatory streaming (headless units are NOT turnkey). The descendant of the old VCRs (time display flashing all zeros.. not included :D). I see recently Tablo has come around to a direct connection unit.
There are younger people too (some of hyper class 'A' s) will have zero patience for tech that needs to fiddled with.
Of course that's not us..:cool:

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
If tech isn't turnkey..people will not use it. For the most part Tivo's using OTA with a strong signal have been turnkey. Hook up the cables including the one straight into the TV, no mandatory streaming (headless units are NOT turnkey). The descendant of the old VCRs (time display flashing all zeros.. not included :D). I see recently Tablo has come around to a direct connection unit.
Yep. What mystifies me about that Tablo HDMI-connected model DVR is why they didn't build it atop Android TV so that it could be a full-on streamer, with access to the Google Play app store, in addition to being an OTA DVR. Could've been a do-it-all-in-one box.

·
Cynical old guy
1,876 Posts
I have some streaming I use, not Youtube, but none of the streaming I use or have tried can compare to having your own DVR.
The biggest difference is the ability to slow down playback, particularly with sports. Another DVR betterment is skipping commercials;
the jump forward 30 seconds or backward 10 seconds is much more precise and easier to do with a DVR. The list of recorded content
is in one place and easy to navigate on a DVR. On streaming I have to look around thru all kinds of icons and banners of stuff
they want me to watch or buy, eventually getting to my recorded content.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
YouTube just moved up a notch (in my book.) Lost ESPN and the price went down $15.00 a month. $49.95 now.
And if you subscribe to T-Mobile you get another $10 off so $39.95

Reactions: mdavej
1901 - 1920 of 1953 Posts