TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not ready to fully Erase my Hard Drive, but I do want to free up space in a hurry.
I don't want to go to ebay and buy an already setup replacement drive either, I have my own HDDs.
They just don't have the Tivo Software on them for the 746500.

So i was wondering if anybody has tried this:

I have one of those HDD cloners that will clone without needed to be connected to a PC.
Can I use that to clone the current HDD and start using the cloned drive in the Tivo and Erase whatever I want on the new Cloned drive.

Then someday when I want to re-insert the original HDD can I expect it to work with all the original recordings I had on there the day I took it out?

or will the drive reformat if I try to re-insert it later on and I lose my shows?

has anyone tried this, will cloning the drive this way work?
Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That should work on a Premiere. Note: It won't work on a Bolt.
Curious, why would it not work on a BOLT? will it work on a Romio also? I have a Romio I was thinking about pulling the original HDD for a little while, replacing it with an empty drive for now.

someday later when I have the time I would re-insert the original HDD and using an external device that can record 720p via the Component Output, to send that video signal to a PC from the device via USB.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,425 Posts
Unless its running v21/Hydra/TE4, (Premiere will not), and the shows are not copy-protected, they can be downloaded to a computer/PC. You would use programs like KMTTG, PyTivo. KMTTG is a download only program with extra features. PyTivo also allows you to copy shows back to Tivo through its Shows list.

You would also be able to edit/remove commercials after they have been downloaded to a computer. VideoReDo is the recommended Windows program to use.

Swapping drives frequently may impact the hard drive to fail sooner than expected. The power on and off, handling of the drive, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless its running v21/Hydra/TE4, (Premiere will not), and the shows are not copy-protected, they can be downloaded to a computer/PC. You would use programs like KMTTG, PyTivo. KMTTG is a download only program with extra features. PyTivo also allows you to copy shows back to Tivo through its Shows list.

You would also be able to edit/remove commercials after they have been downloaded to a computer. VideoReDo is the recommended Windows program to use.

Swapping drives frequently may impact the hard drive to fail sooner than expected. The power on and off, handling of the drive, etc.
that's the problem. The shows i want to copy to the PC are Copy Protected. The only way i can copy them in 720p to a PC is to use an external device that records from the Component output of the Tivo and sends the video from the device to the PC via usb. and the software on the pc will capture the video to a file in 720p.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,425 Posts
You may run into Macrovision as the copy protection but its only a possibility.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Curious, why would it not work on a BOLT? will it work on a Romio also? I have a Romio I was thinking about pulling the original HDD for a little while, replacing it with an empty drive for now.
It will work on a Roamio, but on Bolts they moved the SQLite database partition from the hard drive to flash memory on the motherboard. Once the database and the files on the hard drive get out of sync it treats the drive as foreign and reformats it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried this I kept getting an error. when trying to expand the drive. ultimately it would not boot. To clarify it did work for me, the clone function worked exactly as it is suppose to made an exact copy of the smaller drive. And that worked in the Tivo. The only problem for me is that when trying the function apmfix /dev/sda I would get an error "Partition structure is not as expected. Too many or few partitions. Number of blocks in partition map is 14 and was expecting 16. unable to coalesce. processing of drive is incomplete. after that i still tried installing the drive in the tivo. However Tivo thought that there was a external drive that was removed and wanted to reformat. this is where It got caught in an endless reboot between blue startup screen and just a minute. In the end I ended up getting a new image from ggieseke and following all the instructions. no errors etc. I canot say for sure that it was the cloning station but it is very likely the problem when used this way.
WD green 2tb
Unitek USB 3.0 to SATA dual bay external docking station with offline clone function

again im up and running thanks gg! for th img and more.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,425 Posts
All I can say is when you clone a drive that has issues, then the issues would copy over as well.

·
125 Posts
I tried this I kept getting an error. when trying to expand the drive. ultimately it would not boot. To clarify it did work for me, the clone function worked exactly as it is suppose to made an exact copy of the smaller drive.
Making a clone of a failed or failing Premiere drive is only done as a recovery, as you end up with almost an exact copy of a failed or failing drive. Of course, you may not have realized your drive was in poor condition, hence your issues. This is useful though as a temporary measure to transfer off what you can before reimaging a replacement drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.