TiVo Community Forum banner

Anybody interested in a Star Trek:TNG Rewatching?

6806 Views 117 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  gchance
I watched "Encounter at Farpoint" last night. It was actually a lot better than I remember it being (although I also watched "Justice" the other night...Season 1 still sucks, for the most part). I know that we've done a Babylon 5 rewatch, so that we could comment on the episodes as we saw them. Anyone interested in doing the same for TNG?
1 - 20 of 118 Posts
I'll take a pasadena..I have some paint I want to watch dry..but thanks for axin' !

:)
I watched "Encounter at Farpoint" last night. It was actually a lot better than I remember it being (although I also watched "Justice" the other night...Season 1 still sucks, for the most part). I know that we've done a Babylon 5 rewatch, so that we could comment on the episodes as we saw them. Anyone interested in doing the same for TNG?
I'm your Huckleberry.

EAF was better than the first time, but only, I think, because we remember what the characters became. From an character development point of view it's pretty interesting
I'll take a pasadena..I have some paint I want to watch dry..but thanks for axin' !

:)
Make that two...
I'm in. One thread per episode?
Please, no. This forum is already congested....
I figure just one episode per week, we discuss in this thread (not a new thread per episode). I'll try to bump the thread every weekend for the next episode. And if I wind up just talking to myself, I'll call it quits.

We should probably have some ground rules. I'm interested in being able to discuss each episode both on it's own, how it relates to previous episodes, and how it relates to future episodes. Because of that, I say that spoilers should be allowed. Also, I say we watch as Netflix classifies the episodes--ie, Encounter at Farpoint is listed as one ep on Netflix. I'm guessing some of the season ending cliffhangers are probably listed as two, and we'll watch those over two weeks.

So, anybody that's in--go watch Encounter at Farpoint and discuss! I'll post my thoughts later--I should probably do some work today at some point.
See less See more
I'll do it if we have a thread per episode, I've got to stay pure to the "anti-season thread" camp.
I started watching TNG about a month ago and am somewhere in season 4. I won't be rerewatching any episodes, but hopefully the episodes will be fresh enough when others watch them.

I've also watched half of the first season of Voyager and Enterprise. I plan to watch all the Star Trek stuff. DS9 as well when that shows up.
One episode per week will take 3 years and 5 months.

I will do it if we can have a thread per episode. That way everyone can watch at their own pace. And anyone who wants to start say a month from now can still participate.
Does Netflix have the streaming rights for 3 years and 5 months? You'll be SOL if they lose the rights 2 years from now. :)
I'm in, though I'm afraid I'll fall behind at some point.

I'd also recommend reading Wil Wheaton's reviews after watching each episode from the first half of season 1. http://www.aoltv.com/bloggers/wil-wheaton/ I don't know if he did any others.
If you're up to it, you can just virtually "rewatch" via http://www.st-minutiae.com/academy/literature329/

I watch early episodes once in a while on TNT or whatever they're on. Season 1 is pretty painful to watch, but the later ones are really good. - EP 163 (Parallels) I like, but there's also the occasional weird one like EP 165 (Sub Rosa) aka the weird ghost one.
I am in. I watched them back originally, and up to ep 7-8 on Netflix. Agree with having spoilers and one thread per episode.
I'm in. I started rewatching TNG when they were first on Netflix, but stopped after a time. A couple Saturdays I watched 2 or 3 at once. I made it up to episode 9 (The Battle).

Up until we get later in the series, spoilers aren't near as much of an issue, since the reset button is typically pressed. Picard's still the captain, Troi & Crusher are still hot, Wesley's still Wesley.

If we do separate threads, I don't want to be the one who posts them. That was tough with Babylon 5. :)

Greg
I'll do it if we have a thread per episode, I've got to stay pure to the "anti-season thread" camp.
This wouldn't be a "Thread for a season", though. This would be a general discussion of a show, with most people discussing a specific episode at the same time. The trappings of a season thread wouldn't apply.
If you only do one thread, the only people who are going to be able to participate are the ones who are on the same one episode per week schedule. Those who have watched further episodes will have to wait for the thread to catch up and those who fall behind will not be able to read the thread because they will be reading what happened in the episodes they have yet to see. Impractical.

The only way that everyone can read and comment on each episode as they watch it is to have a thread for every episode.
I started watching TNG about a month ago and am somewhere in season 4. I won't be rerewatching any episodes, but hopefully the episodes will be fresh enough when others watch them.

I've also watched half of the first season of Voyager and Enterprise. I plan to watch all the Star Trek stuff. DS9 as well when that shows up.
I did the same as Hoffer on his mentioning. I'm also in Season 4 and Seasons 1-3 are pretty fresh so I'm in.
Please, no. This forum is already congested....
I figure just one episode per week, we discuss in this thread (not a new thread per episode). I'll try to bump the thread every weekend for the next episode. And if I wind up just talking to myself, I'll call it quits.
One episode per week will take 3 years and 5 months.

I will do it if we can have a thread per episode. That way everyone can watch at their own pace. And anyone who wants to start say a month from now can still participate.
This wouldn't be a "Thread for a season", though. This would be a general discussion of a show, with most people discussing a specific episode at the same time. The trappings of a season thread wouldn't apply.
If you only do one thread, the only people who are going to be able to participate are the ones who are on the same one episode per week schedule. Those who have watched further episodes will have to wait for the thread to catch up and those who fall behind will not be able to read the thread because they will be reading what happened in the episodes they have yet to see. Impractical.

The only way that everyone can read and comment on each episode as they watch it is to have a thread for every episode.

I can see where this is going! :D :D
See less See more
I'm actually going to be watching these shortly... Getting the young-ins exposed to Trek.. currently in Season 3 of TOS .. everything (movies included) will be viewed in air-date order ...

That being said.. we're definitely going to be doing more than 1 TNG/week .. I'd actually hope to get in 4-5 ... So, either we'll catch up to you if you start going now ... or we'll be flying by you as you go too slow.

Suggestion .. discuss them 1 season at a time .. and maybe do it over a month's period.
1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.