TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have our Bolt hooked up to our TV in our master bedroom, where we watch most television. Is there anyway to watch what I have recorded on our Bolt in another room? I have (own) the little mini Tivo which we used in our previous house. But I can't get ethernet to it now in the new home.

I suspect I know the answer to this but hoping there is a way.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,599 Posts
Yes, you can. They can transfer show between them, If they were connected over MoCa or ethernet, they can also stream. Streaming is like watching the living room Tivo from the bedroom. You just need to make sure System Information has the line "TivoToGo: a,a,a." Call Tivo if its not.

Reactions: matonanjin

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
We have our Bolt hooked up to our TV in our master bedroom, where we watch most television. Is there anyway to watch what I have recorded on our Bolt in another room? I have (own) the little mini Tivo which we used in our previous house. But I can't get ethernet to it now in the new home.

If you have coax near your router and near the Mini, you can set a MoCA network. You will need a MoCA adapter at your router (if it's not MoCA capable), and either use the Bolt as a MoCA host or use another MoCA adapter at the Mini.

I may be wrong about where you need MoCA adapters.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you can. They can transfer show between them, If they were connected over MoCa or ethernet, they can also stream. Streaming is like watching the living room Tivo from the bedroom. You just need to make sure System Information has the line "TivoToGo: a,a,a." Call Tivo if its not.
If you have coax near your router and near the Mini, you can set a MoCA network. You will need a MoCA adapter at your router (if it's not MoCA capable), and either use the Bolt as a MoCA host or use another MoCA adapter at the Mini.

I may be wrong about where you need MoCA adapters.
I have absolutely no clue, not the faintest, what you guys said.

What's "MoCa"?

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,599 Posts
MoCa = Ethernet over coax.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I have absolutely no clue, not the faintest, what you guys said.

What's "MoCa"?
It's a fairly simple setup if you have coax near where you want the mini and where your router is. Just need a couple moca adapters. There are many on amazon. It's slightly more complicated if you have an over the air antenna signal running on the coax.

·
TDL shepherd
17,527 Posts
We have our Bolt hooked up to our TV in our master bedroom, where we watch most television. Is there anyway to watch what I have recorded on our Bolt in another room?
Certainly. Absent direct Ethernet access, you have a few options, depending on circumstances…
  • MoCA (networking over coax) [supported]
  • TiVo Wi-Fi 5 USB adapter [supported only for a Mini VOX/LUX model when running TE4]
  • DIY Wi-FI bridge [unsupported by TiVo]
  • Powerline (networking over power lines) [unsupported by TiVo]

The preferred fallback to Ethernet is using MoCA, which is a networking protocol allowing use of coax lines for networking — with all TiVo Mini’s having built-in MoCA connectivity, and most modern TiVo DVRs capable of functioning as the network access point for their Mini’s. (4-tuner Premieres, 6-tuner Roamios, and all BOLT and EDGE models except the OTA-only versions have built-in MoCA bridging and connectivity.) Stand-alone MoCA adapters can be used, where necessary, to extend the MoCA network (network over coax) to additional coax-connected locations — also a popular technique for improving Wi-FI coverage.

Whether MoCA is possible for your Mini depends on if there’s a coax outlet at or sufficiently near the Mini location, and if that outlet is or can be interconnected to the coax outlets at your BOLT and router location(s).

if you have a coax outlet at the Mini location, we can dig deeper into just how to set up the MoCA network to get it all working.

I have (own) the little mini Tivo which we used in our previous house.
Should MoCA not be possible, which model TiVo Mini you have and what version of TiVo software it’s running would dictate your options for a wireless connection.

If it’s a TiVo Mini VOX/LUX (A95 Mini) running the TE4 software (v21.*), then you could use the fully-supported TiVo Mini Wi-FI 5 USB adapter to attempt a wireless connection to your network and BOLT. Otherwise (or if you’d prefer), you’d simply need to find a suitable wireless bridge device to make the Wi-Fi link on behalf of the Mini. (Results are dependent on wireless coverage and quality of the wireless access point.)

If none of the above work, you can always try Powerline.

·
TDL shepherd
17,527 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Comtrend-GCA-6000KIT-Powerline-1200Mbps-Ethernet/dp/B01MRV4WA1/

It's a fairly simple setup if you have coax near where you want the mini and where your router is. Just need a couple moca adapters. There are many on amazon. It's slightly more complicated if you have an over the air antenna signal running on the coax.
That’s not a MoCA device, so incompatible with the built-in MoCA hardware of TiVo’s. Being G.hn, it’s also possibly not compatible with the OP’s TV signal.

If any standalone MoCA adapters are needed, here’s a mostly up-to-date list of known MoCA adapters.

·
Registered
200 Posts

A few weeks ago I setup a TiVo mini in my sister’s house. She does not have Ethernet available in her bedroom. I used an old Ethernet to wireless adapter on the mini and it works fine. She has access to their Bolt and watches recorded shows. I had the adapter from many years ago. Not sure if they are still available.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've used the ethernet adapters that plug into your outlet and will carry the signal across your home electrical wires. You will need 3 total (1 at the Bolt, 1 at your router & 1 at the Mini) it worked pretty good but I ended up upgrading to a TiVo Bridge which is basically a Moca adapter which provided a faster connection on the coax cable tlrunning through my house. (this provided quicker transfer rates between the 2 bolts I have in the house.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Everybody that has responded here and offered help and suggestions, please do not think for a millisecond that my lack of responding for days reflects disinterest or lack of appreciation.

I do appreciate all helpful suggestions. I do intend to study these same posts and try and figure out how to set up my Tivo in the other room, which is our family room. Without boring you with details health (pain) issues limit the amount of time I have to participate in daily activities. I must often budget limited time to such things as taking the trash out and running grandkids to swim and Tae Kwon Do practice and such things as 'net surfing get left out.

There is no question I will be back here next week bugging you with follow up questions. I do appreciate all your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts