TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had Comcast install their HD DVR this weekend and I got the feeling that we are getting close to having a DVR with Tivo sw for Comcast. Anyone know the latest on this? mid to late '06 is what I have found so far, but that was in blogs written last year...

·
Registered
698 Posts
I am not sure myself. but the rumor is it will be a software upgrade for one of Comcast's current HD DVR's. It is supposed to be out by the end of the year.

·
Registered
117 Posts
tazzmission said:
I am not sure myself. but the rumor is it will be a software upgrade for one of Comcast's current HD DVR's. It is supposed to be out by the end of the year.
The day they release it, I'm switching. Better PQ, local sports in HD, and I can keep Tivo for the foreseeable future.

·
Reed & Juliet's CPA
10,158 Posts
For the OP - Keep in mind that there are two different things that are upcoming from TiVo

1) Series 3 ... which is the new HD CableCard TiVo.

2) Software upgrade on the current Comcast HD PVRs.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Cruzan said:
The day they release it, I'm switching. Better PQ, local sports in HD, and I can keep Tivo for the foreseeable future.
I might be doing the same. Will see...

Series III is looking like the best option for me. But price might be an issue...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheerdude said:
For the OP - Keep in mind that there are two different things that are upcoming from TiVo

1) Series 3 ... which is the new HD CableCard TiVo.

2) Software upgrade on the current Comcast HD PVRs.
Do you know if Comcast will be offering the Cablecard Tivo? Well, hopefully the SW of my Comcast DVR arrives before I go back to DTV...

·
has gone his way...
11,164 Posts
mnylen said:
Do you know if Comcast will be offering the Cablecard Tivo? Well, hopefully the SW of my Comcast DVR arrives before I go back to DTV...
By Law... Comcast has to offer a CableCard

The CableCard TiVo (aka the T3) will most likely be sold by TiVo, Inc..

·
Also wants a pony
599 Posts
rmark39 said:
Has anyone heard anything about the timeframe for the Series 3 release?
The official word from TiVo for Series3 was "this year". Anything more granular than that is speculation. I've seen rumors as early as summer, and as late as 4Q... I'd place my bet on August/September - in stores in time for Christmas...

Jeff

·
has gone his way...
11,164 Posts
rmark39 said:
Has anyone heard anything about the timeframe for the Series 3 release?
Just ball park figures of "Later this year... " from the 2006 CES

Most are "guessing" that means Holiday Season 2006 at the earliest.

·
has gone his way...
11,164 Posts
phodg said:
Any idea of a likely price point ?
I don't think I have even seen a rumored $$$ amount... other then Expensive.
At least none with a good reasoning behind it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
wow, i can't believe i am actually contemplating leaving Direct. Comcast is not in my area, but I do have Fios and if the Series 3 becomes a reality, I would have another choice.

I didn't like the screenshots too much on the FIOS DVR, but if I go by the UTV experience, MS is capable of updating their software frequently to bring it up to snuff.

·
Directv Joyrider
88 Posts
I, too, have grown pretty unsatisfied with Directv (picture quality in HD is crap compared to my mother-in-law's Comcast HD). And what once was a huge bargain isn't that much better than Comcast.

As soon as the Tivo III comes out with Cablecard, I'll switch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Me too, I am waiting for the Tivo version Comcast DVR for HD... still using the AT&Tivo Series 2 on my Mitsubishi WD-52525 52" DLP. Damn TIvo/comcast taking too long for HD support

·
Registered
162 Posts
Does anyone know if the TiVo3 with cable card is going to use that absolutely ****ty TV Guide version of the grid guide? So far that's what you see in all the cable card units and I refuse to buy anything with that piece of junk guide on it.
Thanks!

·
Seasoned gas passer
12,970 Posts
DDayDawg said:
Does anyone know if the TiVo3 with cable card is going to use that absolutely ****ty TV Guide version of the grid guide? So far that's what you see in all the cable card units and I refuse to buy anything with that piece of junk guide on it.
Thanks!
I would highly doubt TiVo would succumb to that piece of cow dung. I had a Sony DHG unit (actually went through three defective units), and TVGOS is just plain awful. Happy to say I returned the last of those units several weeks ago and am socking away the $$ for the SA Series 3.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts