TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of posts on here dealing with this same sort of issue and seems like I'm only scratching the surface of what's available- so I'm going to keep reading but I figured in the mean time it wouldn't hurt to post my specific problem just in case one of you guru's sees my question and can quickly help me out.

Tivo Series 2 540040 (40hr), just acquired and setup for use, worked fine.

I used Hinsdale method (www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9.html) for swapping to a 320GB WD.

I downloaded PTVUpgrade LBA48 CD v4.01 from www.ptvupgrade.com

Following instructions, I used

mfsbackup -f 9999 -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb

to backup my original Tivo 40GB drive (which was on primary slave) to my DOS drive. No issues. I've seen some references to -1so in place of -6so. What's the difference and does it matter for me?

I then put my brand new 320GB drive on hdb and restored as follows:

mfsrestore -s 127 -bzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb

I have since learned that 127 is the swap file size in MB and I need more than 127 for a 320 GB drive (is 200 enough?). Also learned that I need to use something called tpip when specifying more than 127. Is tpip included on PTV LBA48 boot CD? I haven't gotten to point of trying yet. And what is the proper command line options switches, etc for using this?

Also, I saw somewhere the use of xzpi rather than bzpi. What is each for and which should I be using?

After restore, put 320 drive in Tivo and worked fine (still reporting 40 hrs as I had not done the mfsadd command yet).

Put new drive back in PC and did:

mfsadd -x /dev/hdb

results showed old capacity 40hrs, new capacit 366hrs, increase of 326hrs, no problems.

I put drive in tivo and get the powering up, few more minutes, green screen, reboot loop. Is the swap file size and tpip thing the only problem I have (and what do I need to do to fix) or could I be having other problems? Seems like I also saw use of a -r4 switch (can't remember if it was on backup or restore)... what's that for?

thanks for any direction you can provide, msu-dawg

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Rule of thumb on swap size is half the GB so you should use 160 instead of 127.

The -x in the restore command expands the drive just like mfsadd -x does eliminating that extra step.

Unclear on how you have drives hooked up. The mfsbackup need to go to the DOS drive which needs to remain for restore.

Don't worry about -1so or -6so makes no difference.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

I put my 320 drive back in computer (as hdb) and booted to CD. At command prompt I typed tpip --version and reported back version 1.1

Now I'm about to restore the original tivo.bak file (which is on root of hda.. a fat32 drive).

I saw on a post from sep 22 2005 where member "winders" sugests

mfsrestore -s 192 -bzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb

followed by mfsadd -x -r 3 /dev/hdb

followed by tpip --swapped -s /dev/hdb

member "slaponte" mentions that 160 is enough for a 320GB instead of using 192.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I redid my restore to my new 320gb WD using the command in my previous post, with the exception that I used 160 rather than 192 for the swap file size. I performed the expansion command exactly as above followed by the tpip command to fix the swap file size issue.

I put drive back in tivo and it booted up with no issues and reports 363 hours basic record time. Now if it will keep working without causing any problems I'll be happy!

Now to get the 300 hour Humax (that died after only a few weeks of use) sent back to tivo.com and i'll be doing really good!

thanks to all on this forum for the excellent information- I certainly wouldn't have been able to figure it out with your info.

msu-dawg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts