TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think, perhaps, you need to do some reading. You seem to be confusing the encoding rate with the decoding rate.
Your information was very interesting to me. It seems that I was incorrect. Thank you for posting this information. In my work, we do it differently, but that is really irrelevant. I appreciate you posting WHY I was wrong - you (Snathanb) understand the points being made on both sides, and responded accordingly.
Cheers. I may owe you a donut.

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just had this exact same quality issue with "The Live Of Others". :(

Now, an interesting and possibly significant detail: when I freeze the picture and step forward step-by-step, 3 "frames" (not sure if this is the term I should use here - don't know if it shows it frame by frame) are alright, then 2 bad "frames" with the "lag effect" showed in the pictures, then 3 good ones, then 2 bad, then 3 good, 2 bad and so on.

This leads me to believe that Dan203 was right above, with his suggestion that it has something to do with the frame rate conversion when the video file was created. I think I should ask and see if Amazon has any plans on fixing this...

Either way, be warned that "The lives of others" on Unbox have this defect.

EDIT: added the screenshots of the step-by-step forwarding here, note the 3:2 sequence. After this sequence, it started over again with 3 good ones and 2 bad and so on. Look at the wheel housing on the car, and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OK I know I'm probably talking to deaf ears here, but has anyone else experienced this issue now, besides me and Dan203?

It is a big problem for me, I can't watch any Unbox movies anymore (TV shows seem to be fine). Could anyone rent "The lives of others" and see if they see the same thing?

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Huh, I guess they must have removed it as a rental.

I just tried to watch "Across the Universe" though, and it was the same thing there, though not at all as pronounced. It's for rent at $0.99 this weekend, so if you or someone else would like to rent and see if you see the same, that would be nice...
http://www.amazon.com/Across-the-Un...ie=UTF8&s=digital-video&qid=1207967560&sr=1-2

There's a scene about 4 minutes into the movie where I took these pictures. If someone could pause and do the same check and see if you get the 3:2 pattern that would be nice...

·
Registered
13,369 Posts
I'll rent Across The Universe this weekend and see if we notice the issue. So far I've rented quite a few Unbox films and the only film I noticed poor quality on was Jet Li's Fearless, which was one of the first films I downloaded. In general I really prefer Unbox over Netflix DVD's, of which 1 in 3 seem to skip fairly badly these days.

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Mike:

It sounds like you think this is a 3:2 issue. I just wonder if there is a chance it could be specific to your TV model´s handling of 3:2?
If it is indeed an issue with that (which I have no idea if it is, other than the suspicions mentioned above), I must never have noticed it before. I tried all the different output modes on the TiVo, and the result was the same.

But it certainly is a possibility.

·
Now in HD
6,392 Posts
Details please. :) So you had the same issue? Were you able to freeze and see the same when FF'ing?
Yeah, I could freeze and see it every so many frames during motion scenes while FF'ing. Not quite sure why it was so noticable to the eye, but very distracting. Don't lots of movies have this double blur effect during motion?

Here is a crappy picture from my phone. Need to get a slingbox just for the screencapture ability!

That was not meant to be a four wheeler. ;)

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks greg and flip123! Good to hear once again that I'm not alone in having this issue.

I sent a PM to TiVoStephen asking him to look at this thread, but haven't gotten a response.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.