TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
3,096 Posts
There is an android app for tivo. Actually far mor functional than the ipad app.

Its called slingbox for android. Full remote control. Full scheduling and full streaming of tivo video. Been using it for over a year and am always amazed at how well it really works. Even on older 3G networks.

· Veteran TiVo User
2,813 Posts
There is an android app for tivo. Actually far more functional than the ipad app.

Its called slingbox for android. Full remote control. Full scheduling and full streaming of tivo video. Been using it for over a year and am always amazed at how well it really works. Even on older 3G networks.
That is not an app for TiVo control, it is an app for a hardware product called the "Slingbox". It is also one very expensive "app" ($30!!! In addition to having to purchase a Slingbox).

The iPad app is both free and requires no purchase of hardware. I believe that is what people are asking for, for Android.

There is a simple $.99 Android TiVo control app here: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.timhoeck.android.tivoremote&feature=search_result But it is hardly on the level of the ipad app.

· Hmmm...
299 Posts
I'd be 100% shocked if Tivo ever brought an Android app out. Sure, it could happen, but Tivo's attitude is very much "only do things that get us press and then completely forget about them."

Any press over an Android app would be minimal - along the lines of "Tivo ports iPad app to Android" blurbs. There doesn't appear to be much (any?) monetary reason for Tivo to do it - thus, since there's no $$$ or press reason to do it, Tivo won't.

Sadly, this means I won't see nifty remote software anytime soon, since my tablet runs Android! :(

· Registered
120 Posts
An android remote app would be cool. But what I want is a TiVo app that mimics the TiVo desktop software, will transfer shows from TiVo to my android tablet. And allow viewing them without having to spend hours trans-coding them before I leave the house.

Case in point, it took 2 hours to transfer 9 HD shows from my premiere and TiVo HD to my computer. But took another 10 hours to trans-code them so they were playable on my tablet.

· Registered
21 Posts
I would just be happy with a iPad like app!!!

transfering/transcofing/viewing there is no way to play the files but transcode them. I have a Android Galaxy Tablet I just got my tivo permiere yesterday and its nice box but doesn't play nice with android =(

· UHD Addict
23,291 Posts
That has more to do with the processing power of your PC.

· Well-Known Mumbler
Rooting for the antihero
11,745 Posts
Case in point, it took 2 hours to transfer 9 HD shows from my premiere and TiVo HD to my computer. But took another 10 hours to trans-code them so they were playable on my tablet.
The shows take so long to transfer mainly because they're huge. I think an app could be made that would view the recordings without having to transcode them. But you'd never be able to fit 9 HD shows on your tablet in the original format. Even one might be a stretch.

Possibly you could improve the transcoding time with some hardware-assisted encoding.

· I'm a 2-Tuner
281 Posts
If I was tech-savvy I would try to use the Slide remote to get the proper bluetooth pairing/commands figured out and make an adroid app that controls via bluetooth just like the slide remote.

I am not, however, tech savy. Oh, and as far as you know this idea is patent pending...

· Veteran TiVo User
2,813 Posts
If I was tech-savvy I would try to use the Slide remote to get the proper bluetooth pairing/commands figured out and make an adroid app that controls via bluetooth just like the slide remote.

I am not, however, tech savy. Oh, and as far as you know this idea is patent pending...
Hey, that is a neat idea :)
Of course, I think what people want is more of a full-control type app (browse listings, see what is recorded, add new recordings, etc), not just a remote. The ultimate would then be to allow streaming, but without transcoding, that isn't practical to small devices... besides, hell might freeze over before we see the Premiere natively stream to anything (other than MAYBE another TiVo).

· It'll be fine....
4,160 Posts
Yeah, my Xfinity app allows remote scheduling---I just wish I could do the same for my TiVo.
I can do remote scheduling from my ipad, my blackberry and frankly any internet connected computer... That functionality has been around for a long time.

What I would really like to be able to do is initiate transfers from TiVo A to TiVo B or from TiVo to PC from the iPad.

· It'll be fine....
4,160 Posts
Um, but not in an Android app. Isn't that the thread topic?
It wouldn't be that hard for one of the android devs to make a wrapper for the android platform... That is one of the reasons I haven't been tempted to try out the android - just not as many developers on the platform.

But I would recommend the TiVo mobile site - it will do what he is looking for. It is almost identical to my RIM app.

http://m.tivo.com/

· Veteran TiVo User
2,813 Posts
It wouldn't be that hard for one of the android devs to make a wrapper for the android platform... That is one of the reasons I haven't been tempted to try out the android - just not as many developers on the platform.
Android phones now outsell all other smartphones. It passed Apple late last year, and finally RIM this year. There is already no shortage of developers and many more are jumping on all the time.

Next up- tablets. Apple has a large lead, but even that is probably going to dissolve by the end of this year.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.