TiVo Community Forum banner
1581 - 1600 of 1607 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,581 ·
And we're off to the Finals, next Monday night.

The ninjas made this last night of the semis (almost) look easy. Twelve buzzers (a record), and if you didn't make it to #9 Split Decision fairly quickly, you were out. First semis ever where making Obstacle #8 quickly wasn't enough to move on. Or conversely, first time ever making to #9 wasn't enough to move on.

Big names that missed the cut: Taylor Amann, Flip Rodriguez, Roo Yori, Ethan Swanson. Jamie Rahn was #15 (made it).

Hey ANW, do me a favor... don't waste time showing me how Tik-Tok stars, and social media influencers, Josh Richards & Griffin Johnson did. One fell on the steps (!), the other on #2. Even Akbar mentioned they don't have any experience or training. I know it's all about the eyeballs, but I don't think any regular viewers give a shut.

I'm guessing we won't be seeing the Drop Zone after tonight. :weary:
And I guessed wrong. While I don't think there were any major lacerations like last week, there were several more ninjas who wacked themselves on this obstacle. Why on earth would they use it a second time?

·
randomize
4,975 Posts
Hey ANW, do me a favor... don't waste time showing me how Tik-Tok stars, and social media influencers, Josh Richards & Griffin Johnson did. One fell on the steps (!), the other on #2.
Did they compete in the qualifiers? I don't remember seeing either one, and with how quickly they went out I would be very surprised if they actually qualified. It feels more like they were simply invited here to "compete" as a publicity move.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,584 ·
Did they compete in the qualifiers? I don't remember seeing either one, and with how quickly they went out I would be very surprised if they actually qualified. It feels more like they were simply invited here to "compete" as a publicity move.
You are correct, publicity. Technically, they called them "exhibition" runs.

They didn't change the course for any of the semi-finals, did they? My guess is they did this all at once, but did them in groups based on their qualifying group.
The courses were different each time. Minor changes, usually one on the front half, and one in the back half, from episode to episode. And they reused them, so one obstacle might appear in S1, then S3. And of course many of them were the same for all four. I'll see if I can find a chart...

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,585 ·
Made a quickie spreadsheet, but then I couldn't find a way to insert it. Here's a screen scrape of a worksheet...

Font Material property Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Registered
18,282 Posts
I don't get why Moravsky decided to take the short cut? Did he want the best time that badly? Seems like he had a lot of time to finish Stage 1 via the longer route.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,589 ·
I don't get why Moravsky decided to take the short cut? Did he want the best time that badly? Seems like he had a lot of time to finish Stage 1 via the longer route.
I think you're asking the same question he is. My guess is he saw how hung up people got on the last obstacle. That was a significant change from the previous Stage One final obstacle, going from a pure swinging handle, to one with a hook (Fly Hooks). Cost several ninjas a lot of time. He's good on the trampoline, so he figured it was worth it.

·
randomize
4,975 Posts
Yeah, there were some bad decisions by folks. Joe and Lucas going for the shortcut when it seemed they didn't need to. And a few that were short on time that chickened out at the last second. Why? You aren't going to finish the "normal" way, so you might as well go for the shortcut no matter whether it seems like you will miss or not.

And what about Adam just barely finishing in time. I didn't think he had a chance once he hit that net.

·
UHDTV Snob
13,395 Posts
Watched last night as Hulu for some reason did not have the episode the next day as usual.

Agree about Moravsky. He had enough time IMO. And wasted his safety pass. I was also surprised Rayl made it. He was taking his time and was lucky to make the buzzer. Biggest surprised for me was Amir Malik. And how early he went. Not surprised how many fall on the spider walk.

Oh and btw, had no idea Vance Walker has cerebral palsy. That kid is amazing! I could see him winning it all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Glad to see Jesse Labreck finally beat Stage 1, with time to spare. It looked like she bulked up this year but her stamina looks good as well.

The High Road split decision looked too risky but there were some spectacular one-handed grabs last night where i thought they were going to be too late.

I liked how hard they made Stage 2 this year (in terms of time limit as well). Considering even Vance Walker needed the Safety Pass, it doesn't look like we'll see a lot of people make it to Stage 3, which is how I think it should be.

·
Now with more GB
3,507 Posts
One thing I noticed:
In the past, this show has been notorious for mentioning if anybody made it to Stage 4, but this time, Matt & Akbar kept saying, "If anyone makes it past Stage 3," which makes me think that nobody will. I assume the $100,000 "Last Man Standing" prize for making it the farthest in Stage 3 is still there.

·
randomize
4,975 Posts
Glad to see Jesse Labreck finally beat Stage 1, with time to spare. It looked like she bulked up this year but her stamina looks good as well.

The High Road split decision looked too risky but there were some spectacular one-handed grabs last night where i thought they were going to be too late.

I liked how hard they made Stage 2 this year (in terms of time limit as well). Considering even Vance Walker needed the Safety Pass, it doesn't look like we'll see a lot of people make it to Stage 3, which is how I think it should be.
Yeah, it seems heavily weighted to grip and arm strength. Especially putting that last backwards leap/grab at the very end.

·
UHDTV Snob
13,395 Posts
Two shockers for me this week...Meagan Martin and the classy ninja on Stage 2. So glad to see LeBreck complete Stage 1.

·
randomize
4,975 Posts
Wow, Kaden is going to be a beast for YEARS to come. So smooth on everything except the rope climb. He'll learn to use his legs as well.

·
Now with more GB
3,507 Posts
One thing I noticed:
In the past, this show has been notorious for mentioning if anybody made it to Stage 4, but this time, Matt & Akbar kept saying, "If anyone makes it past Stage 3," which makes me think that nobody will. I assume the $100,000 "Last Man Standing" prize for making it the farthest in Stage 3 is still there.
Well, color me surprised - they had somebody reach Mount Green Mountain (er, Mount Midoriyama) without saying "Someone will reach Stage 4 tonight!" in advance even once.

Also, if you watched the opening carefully, they revealed where the finals took place - on the other side of the Las Vegas Strip from the Luxor, just south of the Tropicana property. Google Maps shows it as pretty much just an empty lot. I wonder who owns it.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,598 ·
The Finals have used that lot for several years. They've shown it before.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, I didn't expect anyone to make it through Stage 3 so that was a nice surprise.

The Eyeglass Alley in Stage 3 was a nice addition -- very difficult and required some technique in addition to pure strength. I think they got the difficulty just right in all stages, except possibly for the blind grab in the Falling Shelves (seemed too easy to make a small, but costly mistake).

·
Thrice as nice
10,806 Posts
Joe (the weatherman) seemed pretty off again, falling on the first obstacle. Maybe he didn't realize the steps got smaller as they went on? I always liked him, though this seems like a tough year for him even though he did make it to Stage 2 (with using a safety pass).

1581 - 1600 of 1607 Posts