TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1607 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an All Season Thread for any species of Ninja Warrior.

American Ninja Warrior, Team Ninja Warrior, All Star Ninja Warrior or USA vs The World Ninja Warrior. Or any others they may come up with.

Spoilers allowed up to any episode that has aired in the US (NBC or Esquire).

American Ninja Warrior returns for its 7th season this Monday, May 25 2015, on NBC. 8E/7C each Monday.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cities:
There will be 6 cities plus the Finals to be once again held in Las Vegas.

VENICE:
3/13/15 Regional Qualifying
3/14/15 Regional Final

HOUSTON:
3/28/15 Regional Qualifying
3/29/15 Regional Final

KANSAS CITY, MO:

4/17/15 Regional Qualifying
4/18/15 Regional Final

ORLANDO:
5/10/15 Regional Qualifying
5/11/15 Regional Final

PITTSBURGH:
5/22/15 Regional Qualifying
5/23/15 Regional Final

SAN PEDRO:
6/5/15 Regional Qualifying
6/6/15 Regional Final

Changes:
In the qualifying round only the top 30 competitors will move on to the city finals.
In the city finals round only the top 15 competitors will move on to Vegas.
There will be 6 wildcard spots. The competitors that finished in 16th place will be moving on to Vegas.
The grand prize was moved up to 1 million dollars instead of half of a million dollars.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to the Houston trials. The logistics were a total clusterpuck, but it was fun to watch. I had a guaranteed admission ticket (registered far in advance), and it turned out so did several hundred (thousand?) others who never made it in. It was held at 1AM, in the parking lot of a very large event center, and there were mobs trying to get in. I was able to watch from the backside of the course, but never made it in to the bleachers. Still fun though.

Kacy Catanzaro competed at this one. She lives in San Antonio, so this was the closest qualifier. She may have competed at others too. Many of the top athletes compete at several of these qualifiers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Many of the top athletes compete at several of these qualifiers.
That doesn't sound right. Nobody should have more than 1 shot at the course, as that sort of defeats part of the whole design of it.

What I do know is many of the rookies travel from city to city hoping for a chance to run the qualifying course. If they don't make it in one city, then they try in the next. But in the end, they get at most one shot at the course.

·
Registered
19,702 Posts
That doesn't sound right. Nobody should have more than 1 shot at the course, as that sort of defeats part of the whole design of it.

What I do know is many of the rookies travel from city to city hoping for a chance to run the qualifying course. If they don't make it in one city, then they try in the next. But in the end, they get at most one shot at the course.
If the courses were exactly the same, I would agree, but all the qualifying courses are different. So I say it's actually unfair if they are not allowed to try multiple courses.

·
Registered
26,124 Posts
Changes:
In the qualifying round only the top 30 competitors will move on to the city finals.
In the city finals round only the top 15 competitors will move on to Vegas.
There will be 6 wildcard spots. The competitors that finished in 16th place will be moving on to Vegas.
The grand prize was moved up to 1 million dollars instead of half of a million dollars.
Can you clarify what the rules used to be?

I went to the Houston trials. The logistics were a total clusterpuck, but it was fun to watch. I had a guaranteed admission ticket (registered far in advance), and it turned out so did several hundred (thousand?) others who never made it in. It was held at 1AM, in the parking lot of a very large event center, and there were mobs trying to get in. I was able to watch from the backside of the course, but never made it in to the bleachers. Still fun though.
Wait, you mean they were literally competing in the middle of the night? In previous years, I thought you'd often see them start late afternoon and go into the dark.

(I'm a very late night person, but doing something like that at 1AM seems very extreme.)

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you clarify what the rules used to be?

Wait, you mean they were literally competing in the middle of the night? In previous years, I thought you'd often see them start late afternoon and go into the dark.

(I'm a very late night person, but doing something like that at 1AM seems very extreme.)
Have no idea what the rules were before, all that info came from wiki.

And yes, we were told to be there by 12:30, for a 1am start. And to expect to stay until 6am. I've attached a screen scrape of my ticket...

We were also told to wear brightly colored clothes, and absolutely no white.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,702 Posts

Kacy Catanzaro competed at this one. She lives in San Antonio, so this was the closest qualifier. She may have competed at others too. Many of the top athletes compete at several of these qualifiers.

Are you spoiling that Kacy didn't finish the course?

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you spoiling that Kacy didn't finish the course?
Actually... I didn't see her run. There were two nights of competition, and I only stayed from about 11pm to 3am, of the first night. I also had a ticket to the second night, but after the fiasco of night one, I didn't return.

Not only were there hundreds of us waiting to be admitted, the people running it were extremely cavalier about the entire affair. They didn't even attempt to act like they cared. No explanation given as to why we were not admitted, no response when people asked how long they should wait.

I found out later that they admit people in waves. But they don't require people to leave. So if an earlier group doesn't leave (or enough of them don't leave), the next group just waits and waits. By the time I gave up at 3am, there were thousands waiting. And I guess when they have all the crowd they need and more, they don't care how they treat that crowd. I may get pissed and never show up again, but there will be 100 people to take my place.

·
Registered
19,702 Posts
Actually... I didn't see her run. There were two nights of competition, and I only stayed from about 11pm to 3am, of the first night. I also had a ticket to the second night, but after the fiasco of night one, I didn't return.

Not only were there hundreds of us waiting to be admitted, the people running it were extremely cavalier about the entire affair. They didn't even attempt to act like they cared. No explanation given as to why we were not admitted, no response when people asked how long they should wait.

I found out later that they admit people in waves. But they don't require people to leave. So if an earlier group doesn't leave (or enough of them don't leave), the next group just waits and waits. By the time I gave up at 3am, there were thousands waiting. And I guess when they have all the crowd they need and more, they don't care how they treat that crowd. I may get pissed and never show up again, but there will be 100 people to take my place.
That sucks, I'm sorry about your experience, but I'm glad you clarified about Kacy, I was trying to "read into" what you said. I'm glad that I am not spoiled. ;)

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That sucks, I'm sorry about your experience, but I'm glad you clarified about Kacy, I was trying to "read into" what you said. I'm glad that I am not spoiled. ;)
Spoiler alert: The producers let anyone they want into the finals.

Actually, I'm reading in between the lines, but it sounds like using the wildcard spots, they can let anyone they want compete under the bright lights of the Vegas finals. I can't blame them, it makes for good TV to have the biggest names in the finals.

For example, I saw in Monday's show that Rob Moravsky's (sp?) brother, the "Adonis", failed pretty quickly. As popular as he is, might we see him again in Vegas?

I have no knowledge, and so no spoilers. But who knows...

·
Registered
19,702 Posts
Spoiler alert: The producers let anyone they want into the finals.

Actually, I'm reading in between the lines, but it sounds like using the wildcard spots, they can let anyone they want compete under the bright lights of the Vegas finals. I can't blame them, it makes for good TV to have the biggest names in the finals.

For example, I saw in Monday's show that Rob Moravsky's (sp?) brother, the "Adonis", failed pretty quickly. As popular as he is, might we see him again in Vegas?

I have no knowledge, and so no spoilers. But who knows...
Yeah I mean I'm sure she will make it, but to counter your point there was one guy they didn't advance with a wildcard spot last year who had previously gone very far.

I was surprised they didn't give him a wildcard spot. The person's name escapes me though. I think he did compete in the USA vs the World though.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its all about the story behind a person and the show's ratings.
Except for those of us who use FF to watch the entire two hour show in about 30 minutes. :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yeah I mean I'm sure she will make it, but to counter your point there was one guy they didn't advance with a wildcard spot last year who had previously gone very far.
Quite a few actually, but Brian Orosco and Brent Steffensen were probably the 2 biggest names I can recall.

1 - 20 of 1607 Posts