TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Cranky old novice
9,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<caveat>This thread discusses something not directly related to TiVo. If this bothers you please ignore it</caveat>
It's called "IMDb Freedive", works only on Fire TV devices, and currently provides 400+ movies and about 150 TV series:
IMDb Freedive is Amazon's new free ad-supported Movie and TV streaming service
A quote from the linked web page:
... the common opinion seems to be that Freedive's free catalog is generally better than rival free services like Tubi and The Roku Channel.
I watched the first few minutes of "The Illusionist" (2006) and "The Ides of March" and it seemed to work as described.

·
Cranky old novice
9,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Sr Legacy Member
866 Posts
Wait! .... when the heck did Amazon buy IMDb?

p.s. Good lord, 1998!!
I didn't know this either, but it does explain why their x-ray features are so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Pluto TV is free to download on the Fire TV and the channels are integrated into the Fire TVs live channels.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Since we are discussing channels on FireTV, are there any subscription services that can get me NBC, CBS and ABC feeds on a FireTV? Does location of the FireTV matter if there is no local affliliate for any of them? (Mountains of SW Colorado and several hundred miles from nearest broadcast station). I would like to do away with my DISH and stream on the FireTV. Someday hope to stream from my Tivo in Houston again as well.

·
Sr Legacy Member
866 Posts
Since we are discussing channels on FireTV, are there any subscription services that can get me NBC, CBS and ABC feeds on a FireTV? Does location of the FireTV matter if there is no local affliliate for any of them? (Mountains of SW Colorado and several hundred miles from nearest broadcast station). I would like to do away with my DISH and stream on the FireTV. Someday hope to stream from my Tivo in Houston again as well.
SlingTV, DirectTvNow, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Cranky old novice
9,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can see which channels are provided by PlayStation Vue here:
Local Live Streaming Channels | PlayStation Vue
Enter your zip code and select one of the plans. My area is Dayton OH, not exactly a major metropolis, but all plans include ABC, CBS and Fox local affiliates and something called "NBC on demand". I free-trialed the "Core" plan last summer and I think these offerings are better than they were then and don't remember what the NBC On Demand was.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can see which channels are provided by PlayStation Vue here:
Local Live Streaming Channels | PlayStation Vue
Enter your zip code and select one of the plans. My area is Dayton OH, not exactly a major metropolis, but all plans include ABC, CBS and Fox local affiliates and something called "NBC on demand". I free-trialed the "Core" plan last summer and I think these offerings are better than they were then and don't remember what the NBC On Demand was.
No CBS affiliate here in North Myrtle Beach, SC.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
NBC On Demand shows some old NBC content usually available 24hrs delayed for a subscription price. We have tried it and its not at all what we are looking for. Useless for current news.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Well thanks for the help. Looked into the specifics for PSV, Sling and DTVnow. Sling offers no locals for our location. PSV offers NBC and CBS from New Mexico for $45 a month. DTV offers all 3 from New Mexico for $40 a month. Hmm, both are more expensive that what DISH is charging now (35), not to mention my limited bandwidth and data cap (300GB) it would use up. Guess we are not there yet. Appreciate the help though.

Reactions: OrangeCrush

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Well thanks for the help. Looked into the specifics for PSV, Sling and DTVnow. Sling offers no locals for our location. PSV offers NBC and CBS from New Mexico for $45 a month. DTV offers all 3 from New Mexico for $40 a month. Hmm, both are more expensive that what DISH is charging now (35), not to mention my limited bandwidth and data cap (300GB) it would use up. Guess we are not there yet. Appreciate the help though.
You're gonna have a hard time finding a TV package with the major local broadcast networks that sells for less than $35 (what you're currently paying DISH). Check with your internet provider and see if there's anything they offer. Comcast, for instance, offers a $20 service called Xfinity Instant TV that can be added to one's broadband. It's basically just your locals and can only be streamed on Roku and Samsung smart TVs.

If your main goal is just to watch the channels you currently get from DISH on your Fire TV, you could install the DISH Anywhere app for Fire TV.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
You're gonna have a hard time finding a TV package with the major local broadcast networks that sells for less than $35 (what you're currently paying DISH). Check with your internet provider and see if there's anything they offer. Comcast, for instance, offers a $20 service called Xfinity Instant TV that can be added to one's broadband. It's basically just your locals and can only be streamed on Roku and Samsung smart TVs.

If your main goal is just to watch the channels you currently get from DISH on your Fire TV, you could install the DISH Anywhere app for Fire TV.
Thanks. ISP is CenturyLink, no OTT streaming services. Looks like DISH will keep us a while longer....if they are around a while longer. Perhaps one day when Tivo gets the AmazonFireTV app working again, I can stream the channels from our main home in Houston.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Thanks. ISP is CenturyLink, no OTT streaming services. Looks like DISH will keep us a while longer....if they are around a while longer. Perhaps one day when Tivo gets the AmazonFireTV app working again, I can stream the channels from our main home in Houston.
CenturyLink does have their own IPTV service called Prism TV, which has a package called Basic for $29.99. But I read awhile back that they've basically deprecated Prism TV. It's still running for existing customers but I don't think they're taking new sign-ups any more. They'll probably just become a reseller of DirecTV Now and/or other similar OTT streaming cable TV services. I think of a lot of the small-to-midsize internet providers will eventually get out of operating their own TV service. Everything is eventually moving to OTT, it seems.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.