TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the picture quality??

I assume it is Standard Def 4:3 and not Hi-Def widescreen.

So, it might be a waste of hard drive to download to an S3 or HD??

But, might be good for downloading and viewing with a S2??

mchiles

·
umop ap!sdn
113 Posts
I have, and I think the video quality is awful, even for things originally produced for TV.

Amazon does a very poor job transcoding. Stuff I have ripped from DVD looks much better.

Those that say that it looks as-good-or-better-than Best quality must not be sensitive to frame studders. I am, and I hate it.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
While the quality is not HD, I have purchased DVD's that are of much poorer quality. I Never noticed any "frame studders". So far I have downloaded and watched 2 movie rentals and a missed TV episode.

·
2 x Basic Roamio
130 Posts
HomeUser said:
While the quality is not HD, I have purchased DVD's that are of much poorer quality. I Never noticed any "frame studders". So far I have downloaded and watched 2 movie rentals and a missed TV episode.
The $0.99 movie specials can be compelling, regardless of the quality, for some purposes (like for the wife who can't tell HD from SD and the kids who destroy DVDs).

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Scopeman said:
The $0.99 movie specials can be compelling, regardless of the quality, for some purposes (like for the wife who can't tell HD from SD and the kids who destroy DVDs).
It is really great for missing TV shows too. The last episode TiVo had recorded of 24 season 2 had been delayed by a Football game and of course I did not discover that until the last day of a 3 weekend viewing marathon, Amazon Unbox saved the day :)

·
umop ap!sdn
113 Posts
HomeUser said:
The stuttering (which seems to be related to poor choice in pulldown method or output framerate) is most visible to me in scenes with high contrast and smooth camera pans, though I can see it almost all the time.

It is for a similar reason that I can't deal with DLP displays; My eyes see the rainbows :( and it looks jerky.

·
Tivonation Citizen
956 Posts
I downloaded 5-6 movies using the 99 cents special. The movies are widescreen with black letterbox on top and bottom, so you can use the S3's zoom mode to put it on a 16:9 TV. They are about equal to the best VCR quality, not DVD quality, but for 99 cents and the convenience, can't beat it. I canceled my blockbuster account because of it.

Edit: not really noticing any stuttering.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I think they're worth 99 cents, especially for movies with lots of dialog and little action. When objects on the screen move quickly, the entire screen looks like double or triple vision, or just blurry. Even my wife, who would be fine watching a TV that only has rabbit ears, asked me (unprompted) about the blurriness in "The Pursuit of Happyness".

If the Unbox movies that one purchases are the same quality as the rentals, I would NEVER EVER purchase one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.