3,029 Posts
TiVoPony, where art thou?

Great find pete.

·
Bill Knapp
1,437 Posts
supasta said:
TiVoPony, where art thou?
He will be by shortly to tell us all about it. Then he'll complain that we're too fast. :D

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Found it! It is done through SwivelSearch, as previously suspected!
Buying On Box

Go to Find Programs -> TiVoCast -> Amazon Unbox to browse top sellers and new releases. Or go to Find Programs -> Swivel Search to search for a specific title.
A separate app would have been a much better idea (ala Doug's app) in order to view available titles. Only being able to search for specific titles really limits the possibilities by not being able to browse whats available, new releases, weekend specials, etc.

ETA: Well, nothing available at current. Titles are listed via Swivel, but it tells you that the download must be done from Amazon.com

·
TMBG Fan
1,052 Posts
TivoCast is now called "Download TV & Movies" on my box in Find Programs. That's what grabbed my attention that something was different. Unbox is the first option in the TivoCast section.

BTW, the purchase worked fine for me. I had to reset my 5 digit PIN (I don't remember having one when I started Unbox :confused: ), and I had to enter my email address, Amazon account password, and Tivo account password in order to change the PIN. Everything worked smoothly. Afterwards, I was able to rent "The Dark Crystal" for 2.99.

EDIT: I checked Swivel and found that buy/renting from Swivel available for only some of the movies/shows. I searched Spiderman and found both the cartoon show and the 2 movies. All of them were available for purchase. I then searched for 24, and it said I need to buy the episodes from Amazon.com.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
bpurcell said:
TivoCast is now called "Download TV & Movies" on my box in Find Programs. That's what grabbed my attention that something was different. Unbox is the first option in the TivoCast section.
Interestingly it's still called TiVoCast on my TiVo, and UnBox is the first TiVoCast option. I'd agree that isn't nearly as useful as the website, but it's a start. Now if we could get full DVD quality with 5.1 surround from Amazon I'd probably be willing to spend $4 to rent a movie.

·
I'm back!
34,372 Posts
Downloadable content has a unique icon in the Swivel Search results list.

I was offered the ability to purchase Spiderman for $9.00. But no rental option.

I then searched for Flags of Our Fathers and was offered the ability to rent for $3.99 (I just rented it last week so I knew this was on the TiVo rental list). But no purchase option.

Swiveling on Clint Eastwood in FOOF took me to Pale Rider, which I can either rent for $2.99 or purchase for $9.99

Selecting "Rent this movie..." takes me to a window where I'm supposed to enter my "5-digit purchase PIN" that I entered when I linked my Amazon.com account to my TiVo account. :confused: I suppose I did that.

Luckily, there is an option for "I forgot my PIN" where I now go through a multi-step verification process (amazon email & password, tivo.com account password) to reset my PIN.

I have now rented a movie via the TiVo. :up: :)

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
Now if they could do a showcase on the weekend 99 cebt rentals that would boost use considerably

·
Registered
466 Posts
It's been awhile since I tried unbox, are the widescreen movies still presented with black bars on all four sides? (Yes I know you can zoom, that's not my point) Also is the audio still not 5.1?

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
This should be a good source of income for them. Combined with the Swivel search, it looks like it will be a very simple way to find and download what you want.

Will it work with the Swivel Search right away, or just with the separate interface shown above?

And I agree that there needs to be some kind of showcase a la the 99 cent specials and similar.

But I'm glad it's here!

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
pdhenry said:
See above - I initiated a rental via Swivel this morning.
D'oh! Thanks. Nice!

I'm pretty sure they'll get a bunch of money from me now, just because I'm so lazy and easily tempted...

·
Banned
5,556 Posts
MickeS said:
This should be a good source of income for them.
I expect it will provide some revenue, but I don't think it will be much relative to the overall enterprise for some time to come.

Maybe later today I will have more of an opinion.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts