TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with the recast? I have a Roamio OTA 1TB with Lifetime. I get severe pixilation on certain channels. When I do a signal strength I get 86. I have added a channel master amplifier with no improvement. no other splitters in line to Tivo. I have rarely have issues on a tv directly connected to OTA. I have read good reviews on recast and can place it as only device off antenna. Antenna is attic mounted less than 20 miles to stations all within 4 deg.

· Registered
13 Posts
I originally had the Tivo Bolt Vox and returned it earlier this year due to it running too hot (it would heat up my room a few degrees). I was excited when the Amazon Recast came out and pre-ordered it. I tried it for a couple of weeks and I did like how that I could place the recast box and antenna on the other side of the room for example to get better reception and didn't need to be tied to the TV via an hdmi cable. The things that I did not like and evidently made me return the recast were the following (in no particular order):

1. The OTA picture quality was ok for the most part but you can tell that it was not always great (I think it was 720p if I am correct). (Tivo OTA picture quality looks better)

2. Since I have a URC remote, I like having one remote to control everything. It took me awhile but I eventually was able to get some additional accessories to be able to control the FireTV but it was still a little cumbersome to use. (Tivo remote is simple and easy to replicate to the URC remote).

3. You need to purchase a FireTV device to be able to communicate with the Recast. The Recast will not work without it. (Getting a FireTV device does open up the possibilities of endless apps whereas you are limited with the Tivo built-in apps).

4. Overall to watch OTA channels on the Recast, it took a few clicks on the remote to get to the channels whereas the Tivo you just wake it up and you are on the last channel you viewed. Not so with the FireTV.

5. Never did this but it has crossed my mind of upgrading the Recast hard drive. I am sure it could be done but was afraid to open the unit since I wasn't too sure of keeping it.

After returning the FireTV and Recast, I decided to give the Tivo Bolt OTA another shot and have been pleased with the results. It runs much cooler and overall the software is well designed.

· Registered
3,372 Posts
You shouldn't be getting 86% on OTA...the AGC ought to be cutting that back to 72%.

I have done a few OTA setups with TiVo's in Houston. Most all of our towers are clustered together S/W of town. The area I'm usually doing the installations in can't hardly be 10 miles from the group, but still I would get some channels that didn't work.

I learned that I could get a pretty good group to work, but always had a few that wouldn't. I could turn the antenna a few degrees and those channels would work, but the 1st group wouldn't.

Eventually, I decided to use 2 different antennas, each optimized for 1 or the other direction, connected together via a normal 2-way splitter.

The antennas I used were fairly cheapo 'Leaf' type antennas.

This completely solved the issue of 'some bad channels' for these installations. No amp was used.

-KP

· Registered
27,658 Posts
You shouldn't be getting 86% on OTA...the AGC ought to be cutting that back to 72%.

I have done a few OTA setups with TiVo's in Houston. Most all of our towers are clustered together S/W of town. The area I'm usually doing the installations in can't hardly be 10 miles from the group, but still I would get some channels that didn't work.

I learned that I could get a pretty good group to work, but always had a few that wouldn't. I could turn the antenna a few degrees and those channels would work, but the 1st group wouldn't.

Eventually, I decided to use 2 different antennas, each optimized for 1 or the other direction, connected together via a normal 2-way splitter.

The antennas I used were fairly cheapo 'Leaf' type antennas.

This completely solved the issue of 'some bad channels' for these installations. No amp was used.

-KP
[slightly off-topic] And there isn't interference with a dual-antenna method like this? I have a few stubborn stations preferring their own antenna orientation. [/slightly off-topic]

· Registered
3,372 Posts
I can't say for sure what's going on, but I've come to think that a 'multi-path' issue might be being cancelled out by doing this.

Either way, they quit complaining about the signal pixelation. And every time I ask them about it, they report perfect operation.

-KP

4,428 Posts
Thank you, but I have read most of the online reviews, I want someone with experience switching from Tivo to recast
I have switched as have a few others in those existing threads. I'll tell you whatever you want to know there.

Your main concern seems to be the tuners. I've found them to be a little better than my Roamio OTA's. I had one channel in particular that was poor on the Tivo which works fine on Recast. But of course Recast has a more limited feature set over all, so you need to know your priorities and be willing to compromise.

· TiVo Fan
1,758 Posts
More functions? Could you explain that? (I thought that the Recast had fewer functions--e.g. no SkipMode (right now), no QuickMode.) Perhaps you are referring to Fire TV apps?
Apps. I can't stand Tivo's implementation of Apps, and the amount of them as well.

You're talking about Tivo functions, which wouldn't be the same on another product.

· Registered
27,658 Posts
Apps. I can't stand Tivo's implementation of Apps, and the amount of them as well.

You're talking about Tivo functions, which wouldn't be the same on another product.
Ah, apps explains matters, as I don't focus on them with my boxes.

Although I was using the TiVo names for the functionalities, I was talking about/meaning the underlying functionalities, not TiVo's own implementation of them. E.g. my understanding is that Amazon intends to bring commercial skipping, which TiVo brings with its SkipMode feature, to the Recast machine.

· Registered
3,212 Posts
I feel like the Tivo OTA is kinda over now that Fire TV Recast is out. Cheaper, smaller, more functions.
I think you can only have one Recast per Amazon account while you can have 12 Tivo devices per Tivo account.

· Registered
6,940 Posts
My opinion on this has not changed over the years. TiVo is primarily a DVR. There is no reason to buy one unless you want a DVR and when comparing it to other DVRs I would compare the DVR features. If ones primary desire is to use streaming apps I would buy a streaming app device (I like my Roku). If one wants both a DVR and a streaming app device I would start with a TiVo and add a stand alone streaming apps device if the TiVo did not meet my needs.

· Registered
177 Posts
My opinion on this has not changed over the years. TiVo is primarily a DVR. There is no reason to buy one unless you want a DVR and when comparing it to other DVRs I would compare the DVR features. If ones primary desire is to use streaming apps I would buy a streaming app device (I like my Roku). If one wants both a DVR and a streaming app device I would start with a TiVo and add a stand alone streaming apps device if the TiVo did not meet my needs.
We do this as cord cutters. The Bolt OTA gives us the broadcast network content we watch with all of the Tivo functionality we came to love when we had cable (DVR, OnePasses, Skip Mode, etc) and we rotate through OTT services on our Apple TV based on the content we want. Works for us very well!

· Registered
1,081 Posts
I feel like the Tivo OTA is kinda over now that Fire TV Recast is out. Cheaper, smaller, more functions.
It's a good answer for some people. Others prefer the performance of a set top box. It's tough to beat a Roamio/OTA for OTA, Netflix, Prime, and Plex.

We do this as cord cutters. The Bolt OTA gives us the broadcast network content we watch with all of the Tivo functionality we came to love when we had cable (DVR, OnePasses, Skip Mode, etc) and we rotate through OTT services on our Apple TV based on the content we want. Works for us very well!
@b_scott See?

4,428 Posts
Recast has been a godsend for my mom. I no longer get calls about how to switch inputs or which remote to use anymore. Yes, I gave her several universals over the years, but none ever clicked with her. Recast is the best way to get both OTA DVR and OTT.

· Registered
1,081 Posts
Recast has been a godsend for my mom. I no longer get calls about how to switch inputs or which remote to use anymore. Yes, I gave her several universals over the years, but none ever clicked with her. Recast is the best way to get both OTA DVR and OTT.
Glad she's happy, but how is the Recast better than a Roamio/OTA?

4,428 Posts
Glad she's happy, but how is the Recast better than a Roamio/OTA?
What I just said in my post. She gets OTA DVR and OTT. It's currently impossible to get any OTT service on Tivo. So that makes Recast better.

I also switched to Recast a while back. Yes, I miss Tivo a little (commercial skip and quick mode), but I also like having everything on one box. For me the trade offs are worth it. If the upcoming Tivo app works well, I may switch back. I'm not unplugging anything until then.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.