TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 148 Posts

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,603 Posts
Moving on to the Oct 26th episode, so the one couple was sent home due to Covid (and how are the other teams now not compromised? I'd think it's quite possible another team might wind up with Covid as well now). Thus the leg was exactly what they said they wouldn't have, a non-elimination leg. The wording around that fact was kind of interesting. They kept saying things like, in this case, it's not so bad to finish last going into the next leg, something like that.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,603 Posts
It wasn't a non-elimination leg. There was an elimination, they just knew who it was going to be from the start of the leg.

They were scheduled to go from 8 teams to 7 on this leg, and they did.
That's semantics. For all intents and purposes, it was a non-elimination leg, because at the end of the leg, nobody got eliminated. Technically you are correct though it was more like TWO teams got eliminated at the LAST leg.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,079 Posts
That's semantics. For all intents and purposes, it was a non-elimination leg, because at the end of the leg, nobody got eliminated. Technically you are correct though it was more like TWO teams got eliminated at the LAST leg.
What did you want them to do? Phil had already made a big deal at the starting line about there not being any non-elimination legs. They have the route and destinations all planned out as to what episode will take place where. They have the exact amount of teams to fit the schedule. And then a team becomes unable to continue. At that point, the producers have to make a decision: Do we edit out all the stuff about non-elimination, run this leg as non-elim, and then have it be the only one all season? Or do we just tell everyone up front that Team X can't continue, so since we've already told everyone there will be an elimination for every leg, that counts as the elimination for this leg.

Actually, I guess a third option they could have done is had a short bit at the beginning with the eliminated team explaining to the viewers what happened, and then cut to the race with the rest of the teams have a traditional staggered start so they don't actually know that a team has been eliminated. And then when the last team arrives at the mat, Phil tells them they're the last to arrive, but actually Team X had a positive Covid test and had to be removed from the race, so you're actually still in it!

Did anyone notice that when Phil was doing the video call with the two eliminated racers, and they edited it to look like Phil was talking to both of them at the same time, they were actually sitting in the same place with the same picture in the background from the same angle, so it appears Phil had separate conversations with each of them using the same device, and then they edited it together to make it look like a three-way call.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,079 Posts
I was surprised at the wheels on those push carts they built. I get that Jordan is a poorer country, but good wheels for that type of cart would not be that expensive and seems like the most obvious place to spend the money when building one of those, so I'd be surprised if that's the type of wheel that is actually used today by Jordanians.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,603 Posts
What did you want them to do? Phil had already made a big deal at the starting line about there not being any non-elimination legs. They have the route and destinations all planned out as to what episode will take place where. They have the exact amount of teams to fit the schedule. And then a team becomes unable to continue. At that point, the producers have to make a decision: Do we edit out all the stuff about non-elimination, run this leg as non-elim, and then have it be the only one all season? Or do we just tell everyone up front that Team X can't continue, so since we've already told everyone there will be an elimination for every leg, that counts as the elimination for this leg.

Actually, I guess a third option they could have done is had a short bit at the beginning with the eliminated team explaining to the viewers what happened, and then cut to the race with the rest of the teams have a traditional staggered start so they don't actually know that a team has been eliminated. And then when the last team arrives at the mat, Phil tells them they're the last to arrive, but actually Team X had a positive Covid test and had to be removed from the race, so you're actually still in it!

Did anyone notice that when Phil was doing the video call with the two eliminated racers, and they edited it to look like Phil was talking to both of them at the same time, they were actually sitting in the same place with the same picture in the background from the same angle, so it appears Phil had separate conversations with each of them using the same device, and then they edited it together to make it look like a three-way call.
The obvious choice was to tell them it's a two part leg. They've used two part legs many times before. So when teams got to the mat, just say, keep racing, it's a two part leg!

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,079 Posts
The obvious choice was to tell them it's a two part leg. They've used two part legs many times before. So when teams got to the mat, just say, keep racing, it's a two part leg!
Yeah, they could have done that. But usually that entails the racers ripping the clue right at the mat and continuing the leg right then. My guess is the logistics of the next leg didn't allow for them to pretend like it was a continued leg because they probably will all get on the same chartered flight and then start the next leg the next day in a new country. Those "keep racing" legs almost always happen when the two legs are in the same city, or the teams are driving themselves to a nearby city (like with the Verona/Florence Megaleg they just did.

· Librocubicularist
23,459 Posts

I thought it was just a hotel room so of course it would look the same.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,079 Posts
I thought it was just a hotel room so of course it would look the same.
I agree it was a hotel room. I'm just saying it looks like the same hotel room but since they're both shot from the same angle, they were shot at separate times, not simultaneously. But I suppose it's possible that they put them in separate rooms for quarantine purposes and both rooms have identical art on the wall.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,079 Posts
They were clearly different rooms. Will's room had a door visible over his left shoulder and Abby's room didn't.
Now that I look again, you’re right. Two different rooms that just have the exact same art hanging in the same place on the wall.
Forehead Nose Face Head Chin

· Palindromer
19,891 Posts
What did you want them to do?
I agree…. They really only have three options (all mentioned already in this thread):

1. Consider the team dropping out to be the elimination of that leg
2. Bring another team back (probably the last ones eliminated)
3. Position the leg as a two parter

Or… The studio could keep their literal promise of having no elimination leg, and fulfill the schedule with a recap episode the week before the finale… (I actually just thought of this option as I was typing this post). Not ideal, but if it’s important to stay with the literal promise made at the beginning of the season, that would be the way to do it…

61 - 80 of 148 Posts