TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

· oldweakandpathetic
17,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it doesn't rate a thread, but we're watching the Amazing Race after Survivor every Wed and enjoying it for the most part. There are some interesting teams, especially IMO the "Long Lost Twins." I'm sure there's a whole body of science behind twins raised apart, but I like watching them.

When Phill announced there would be no non-elimination legs I figured that would mean some double length legs and so now I see that's right. Since they started with 12 teams there will probably be a couple of these. So, basically it's a non-elim leg that everyone knows about in advance. Whatever.

The yodeling thing last week went on way too long. This week was fun. Go Team Twins!

· The Question
10,726 Posts
And once again, people who get on the AR and don't learn how to drive a manual.
Or how to navigate using a map?!? How can you not know that? I would think that if I got on TAR, I'd go to an unfamiliar city and pick a random spot on the map and try navigating to it...

That's as bad a people who go on Survivor and don't know how to start a fire --- that is something that can literally keep you in the game in the case of a tie-breaker...

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,603 Posts
Still my favorite of the Game Show/adventure reality shows, for the same reasons as always, going to places I've never been and watching teams deal with local culture. I wonder if this season will be very Europe centric due to it filmed before Covid subsided. Also noticed they had a chartered plane this time around. I too like the separated at birth twins. Only team that I don't really like is the motivational speaker team. The woman grates on my last nerve. I just wanted to tell her to STFU when she's trying to "motivate" her husband/bf (I can't remember). If I was him, I would have wanted to punch her in the face SO bad. She WASN'T helping.

· Hinky
26,338 Posts
I wanted to see more context for that cheese episode - but it seems season 14 is not available for free, and I'm not curious enough to pay for it.

Was it set up for the backpack things to fail - they looked very flimsy? And it also seemed like the locals were having a very good time laughing - like they set it up for hilarity to ensue.

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,976 Posts
My wife and I were congratulating ourselves on forcing both our kids to learn to drive on a stick shift (my daughter still owns one). But then we realized that we weren't sure our kids knew how to use a socket wrench and how to flip the tighten/loosen selection, and they were home so we paused the show and brought them down to the basement to show them... they just rolled their eyes and went along :) . Not that either of them have expressed even the slightest interest in going on TAR but...

That wrench was trickier: instead of a little lever which would seem to be much more obvious, it looked like you had to turn a ring around the edge. We didn't get a good look so I couldn't tell if there were markings etc.

· Registered
9,189 Posts
I wanted to see more context for that cheese episode - but it seems season 14 is not available for free, and I'm not curious enough to pay for it.

Was it set up for the backpack things to fail - they looked very flimsy? And it also seemed like the locals were having a very good time laughing - like they set it up for hilarity to ensue.
I remember watching that ep live. My wife and I cried to tears. Youtube had the entire challenge posted (not sure if it has been removed).

Like you said, the locals reactions are hilarious.

I don't remember the story of the backpack things, but I don't think they were designed esp to fail for the show.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,603 Posts
My wife and I were congratulating ourselves on forcing both our kids to learn to drive on a stick shift (my daughter still owns one). But then we realized that we weren't sure our kids knew how to use a socket wrench and how to flip the tighten/loosen selection, and they were home so we paused the show and brought them down to the basement to show them... they just rolled their eyes and went along :) . Not that either of them have expressed even the slightest interest in going on TAR but...

That wrench was trickier: instead of a little lever which would seem to be much more obvious, it looked like you had to turn a ring around the edge. We didn't get a good look so I couldn't tell if there were markings etc.
I'm 60 something year old and I STILL have no idea how to drive a stick. It's not just the kids. And in the US there are VERY few cars that even come with the option to get a stick any more. So for the most part, it's a useless skill, unless you travel somewhere where sticks are prevalent. With that said, there's enough precedent that learning a stick would be an important skill to have if you're going on TAR, so I'd learn how. As far as a socket wrench, I was bewildered that Claire had no idea how to use one, until I realized that my daughter (and maybe even my wife) would have no idea how to use one either, having had no need to learn how. Not saying they shouldn't but they've never needed to.

· Lets go Bengals!!!!!
2,120 Posts
I'm 60 something year old and I STILL have no idea how to drive a stick. It's not just the kids. And in the US there are VERY few cars that even come with the option to get a stick any more. So for the most part, it's a useless skill, unless you travel somewhere where sticks are prevalent. With that said, there's enough precedent that learning a stick would be an important skill to have if you're going on TAR, so I'd learn how. As far as a socket wrench, I was bewildered that Claire had no idea how to use one, until I realized that my daughter (and maybe even my wife) would have no idea how to use one either, having had no need to learn how. Not saying they shouldn't but they've never needed to.
I’m 48 and haven’t driven a stick since I learned to drive at 15. Could I still? Maybe. Am I glad I don’t need to? Definitely.

· Librocubicularist
23,459 Posts
I never learned to drive stick growing up. Neither of my parents know how and the driving school I went to only had automatics.

I bought a car in 2002 that I didn't know how to drive because the dealer could only find ones in the eastern US in manual in the color I wanted. I tried to learn to drive that thing for 4 years, but what really ended up happening is that I slowly never went anywhere because I was afraid to drive it. I was so happy to get rid of it for an automatic in 2006.

I wouldn't have known the socket wrench thing, either.

The motivational speaker couple is VERY annoying. I kept coming in here to check if anyone had started a thread the first week so I could complain about them, but I was too lazy to start the thread myself. :)

· Registered
1,909 Posts
Yeah, the woman in the motivational speaker couple and the man in the Miami team are both super-annoying in their own ways. She seems like one of those people who thinks they're something special and can help others while never having actually done anything herself. She's basically a self-appointed Manic Pixie Dream Girl. He is cranked to 150% on the enthusiasm scale for everything they do.

· Registered
2,489 Posts
The motivational speaker couple is VERY annoying. I kept coming in here to check if anyone had started a thread the first week so I could complain about them, but I was too lazy to start the thread myself. :)
They needed to go like 2 episodes ago. I feel bad for the poor children who have to sit through on of their presentations.

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,976 Posts
It is harder to find new cars with manual transmissions now but really that's only been in the last 5-6 years or so. Before that you could get manual transmissions on a lot of cars and they were often less expensive. I personally like driving them, it's more fun to shift the gears yourself. My daughter likes hers because no one ever asks to borrow her car!

Agreed on Dom she is very very annoying. That kind of "encouragement" makes me absolutely bonkers. One of the first things my wife and I had to work out when we started dating was that she can't tell me to "relax" when something is going wrong: that sends me to 11 for some reason. And Dom basically says "relax" but she takes about 35 words to do it. shudder.

However it could be she's really good at her job. She has an hour or whatever to connect with kids, maybe that works great. But I couldn't live with it 24/7.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,603 Posts
It is harder to find new cars with manual transmissions now but really that's only been in the last 5-6 years or so. Before that you could get manual transmissions on a lot of cars and they were often less expensive. I personally like driving them, it's more fun to shift the gears yourself. My daughter likes hers because no one ever asks to borrow her car!

Agreed on Dom she is very very annoying. That kind of "encouragement" makes me absolutely bonkers. One of the first things my wife and I had to work out when we started dating was that she can't tell me to "relax" when something is going wrong: that sends me to 11 for some reason. And Dom basically says "relax" but she takes about 35 words to do it. shudder.

However it could be she's really good at her job. She has an hour or whatever to connect with kids, maybe that works great. But I couldn't live with it 24/7.
From what I can tell about her, she uses all of those "new fangled" words and phrases that drive me up a wall. "Find your inner strengths" "Use your words" those type of expressions just stress me more, they feel phony and fake, and like you would get me madder. But that's me. I guess it works for some people.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts