TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I thought it is time for a new Buffy thread. I belong to the rare species that has never watched Buffy when it aired on T.V. Primarily based on talk here I decided to give it a try on DVD. Heck, after reading that some people still have a SP on their Tivo even though there won't be any more new episodes, I figured there is a good chance I'll get sucked into this show. I don't think I'm quite there yet but I'm starting to enjoy the characters and the storylines.

Here is where I am right now in the series, followed by a few questions:

-- I just finished watching Inca Mummy Girl (episode 4 of season two) where we get introduced to a lead guitarist named Oz. I will be watching episodes 5-8 later this week.

-- questions:

1) Is it just me (or does it change later?) who feels that Cordelia's transition from outcast (from the core group point's of view) to member of the group is somewhat random and sloppy? It seems Cordelia all of a sudden happens to be near the action even though she doesn't exactly want to have anything to do with the "losers." I just don't understand how she becomes part of the group later. Even though I never watched the show before, it is hard to fail to notice that she is going to be a major character.

2) In your opinion, should I start watching Angel in the order it aired on T.V. (in relation to Buffy's original air dates, that is), meaning I start watching the first season of Angel when I start watching the fourth season of Buffy? Or should I watch all seven seasons of Buffy before I jump into Angel?

3) Since a lot of people seem to like season 2 so much, what are your favorite episodes or scenes from that season? Please keep in mind that I'm still in the beginning of the season, so spoiler tags are appreciated for matters concerning the later episodes of season two.

I hope this thread will bring back memories for some of you and provide incentives for newbies to give this show a try!

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
wow, based on the replies and number of views, Buffy has still quite a following here...

I wish I had made more progress (Frodo and his fellows got in the way) but I just saw Halloween last night. I liked it a lot better than an average Monster of the week episode (like say, Reptile Boy)...

I have to admit that I nodded off during School Hard (again, Frodo gets the blame) but Fox is showing it again this Saturday (12/27)...I guess I'll have to pay closer attention to Spike and his gang when I watch it again...thanks DreadPirateRob, I am looking forward to the next episodes after Halloween...

and Scooterboy, while I'm not sure yet about SMG's acting skills, she sure looks attractive to me (how many outfits per day does she wear?)

thanks everybody for using the spoilertags since I "haven't even gotten to the good stuff yet" (to quote DreadPirateRob)...

last, I know I'll sound like a complete moron asking this (but it won't matter much at this point): what the heck is UMF?
:D

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I think I'm really starting to like this...just saw 'What's my line'...two parts, two hours (o.k., 84 min.), two slayers, two and a half love stories (don't know about Xander and Cordelia yet)...favorite line: "hey, that's me favorite shirt...it's me only shirt!"....:D

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
just saw a few episodes that I really liked. for example, John Ritter as Buffy's Mom's boyfriend, Buffy turning 17, and Oz turning into a werewolf...I have to say, the show keeps surprising me...I also loved how Xander helped Larry to come out of the closet...:D

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I finally finished watching Season 2 and I have to say I am now officially sucked into this show...I have a few questions about the very end but I don't want to ruin it for me and hear any spoilers from season 3 and on...maybe I just didn't get it and you can answer it without revealing anything...but if these things get answered in the next season then just tell me that and I'll be happy to find out myself...

1) why did she kill Angel after Willow's magic worked and he turned "good" again?

2) why did Angel's "death" at the end stop the power of the demon and the world didn't end?

3) am I just not getting it? :D

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
wow AJRitz, you are marching along relentlessly...I am taking in the first season of Alias before diving back into Buffy's circle in season 3....but I'm glad I have something to look forward to...

btw, I think some people are taking Xander's character too seriously...I always just viewed him as a goofball...but then I've only seen two seasons so far....

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
well, after more than 6 months of a Buffy hiatus, I am happy to report that I started watching season 3 today. with this kind of pace I don't have to worry about finishing season 6 before season 7 comes out on dvd. especially since I want to watch Angel in conjunction with Buffy, starting with the next season...

after watching the first episode ("Anne"), I wonder if we will se that girl Lilly again in the future...

the only other comment about this episode is that the continuity department srewed up a bit since Buffy is wearing different shoes in two chronologically closely tied scenes at the end...:)

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Just watched Band Candy and really enjoyed it...seeing Giles, Buffy's Mom, and Snyder acting this way was a treat...I'm not sure I cared much for the babies sacrifice thing but it was a very funny episode...one of my favorites so far...

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
finally started watching Buffy Season 4 last week. so far things do not seem to have changed much because of the move to college. and since I'm watching the first season of Angel at the same time, I get my Cordelia and Angel fix as well. I have to say that I really like Angel (the show) a lot more than I thought I would. I especially like Doyle...and the female cop...she is sooo hot... :)

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Jeeters said:
"Hush" is coming up. One of the best episodes ever. Gotta love the overhead projector bit.
I just watched the episode where Oz goes animale with one of his species and then leaves ;) ...good episode IMO...

then I started watching "The Initiative" and the DVD plays the episode with the commentary even when selecting the "regular" 'play episode. :confused: it doesn't matter which option I choose, it automatically plays the episode with the commentary. as if the "normal" episode wasn't even on the DVD. :mad: did anybody else experience this? I'm referring to a Netflix DVD....

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Droobiemus said:
Is there an "audio" button on your DVD player's remote? Try hitting that a few times to see if it gets rid of the commentary... :)
well, whadda ya know? there IS an audio button on the remote...:) and it sure solved the mystery...thanks!

watched "The Initiative" and "Pangs" last night. what a bunch of horse hooey (as Willow would put it) with this whole secret agent thing. the TA and his professor are actually government agents capturing vampires and demons? :confused: I don't know about that storyline. but maybe it will work. but, more importantly, "Pangs" was a terrific episode. I was really laughing out loud a few times and Spike was just great. :D maybe it's because Turkey Day is my favorite holiday...it sure was one of my favorite episodes so far...now back to watching Angel... :)

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
SparkleMotion said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsche
I especially like Doyle...and the female cop...

Um...that's cool. Good luck with that. :D
ah, now I understand...I watched "Hero" last night (I am taking my time with these DVDs :D ). too bad about Doyle. but I still have hope to see the hot female cop return... :up:

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
AJRitz said:
Heh - wow. A synchronicity moment. I just started my annual Buffy/Angel re-watch last week. I watched three eps today. Season One will be done tomorrow, assuming I still feel this crappy in the morning and take another sick day.
yeah, I remember we were *even* once (way back in this thread) on the Buffy watching timeline but things have turned out quite funny. while I am still on my first run of the shows (Buffy Season 4 and Angel Season 1 at the moment) you have managed to watch all 12 seasons several times by now... :D

but it also means I still have some of the best Buffy (and Angel) ahead of me.
and in time, I will finally find out what all the OMWF fuss is about... :D

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
I watched "Who are you?" (S04E15) last night and thought that Buffy looks really skinny in that episode (maybe because she's really Faith... :D ). especially in the scene where she practices some "clever and cool" lines in front of the mirror. anybody else thought that?

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
as opposed to most people here, I still have plenty of "new" Buffy (and Angel) episodes ahead of me. I just watched "Primeval" (S04E21) and I really loved it. I think I'm actually glad that this whole "Initiative" business is (apparently) over. I never warmed to the idea (the government knowing about the underworld) in the first place but the last few episodes have been rather good in taking it in a few unexpected directions.

btw, did anybody here go to WorldCon in Anaheim last weekend? my wife (a big George RR Martin fan) dragged me along and I sat in a couple of panels. one of them was with Tim Minear, Loni Peristere, and Jane Espenson. they were a bit full of themselves but not too much. it was Q&A session and at the end, Tim and Loni showed the first 5 minutes of a pilot called "Drive" that they are currently pitching to Fox. the whole sequence (a multiple car chase) consisted of a single cut. it was really impressive.

·
Immer vor der Glotze
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
peitsche said:
btw, did anybody here go to WorldCon in Anaheim last weekend? my wife (a big George RR Martin fan) dragged me along and I sat in a couple of panels. one of them was with Tim Minear, Loni Peristere, and Jane Espenson. they were a bit full of themselves but not too much. it was Q&A session and at the end, Tim and Loni showed the first 5 minutes of a pilot called "Drive" that they are currently pitching to Fox. the whole sequence (a multiple car chase) consisted of a single cut. it was really impressive.
WorldCon? anybody? I thought maybe a few locals would go, given the general Sci-Fi, Whedon interests at TCF...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.