TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
West Coast citizen!
28,422 Posts
Having watched Season 4 of Buffy and Season 1 of Angel separately, I highly recommend watching them at the same time. I suggest doing the same for Season 5 of Buffy and Season 2 of Angel.

School Hard is almost my favorite of the Season 2 episodes. Go Fish and Becoming (part two) are honorable mentions.

·
West Coast citizen!
28,422 Posts
Oh, I forgot to add....

I never really cared for the Cordelia character during the second season of Buffy. She'll really blossom into a much more interesting (though not necessarily likeable) character as time passes on the show.

Season 2 was probably one of the weaker ones for me. It has its moments (School Hard is still one of my top 10 episodes), but it's certainly no Season 5 or Season 3.

·
West Coast citizen!
28,422 Posts
Originally posted by Medieval Guy
Interestingly, I found just the opposite. When she was just a shallow, brainless, self-absorbed twit, she was fine. But as they deepened the character, it only served to emphasize Carpenter's remarkable thespian limitations. The girl can't act.
And see, I thought that (warning, spoilers from Angel)...
Once her character moves out of BtVS/Sunnydale and into Angel/Los Angeles, she's given the chance to become a lot more diverse and faceted... especially by the third season of Angel. She was dreadful in the first season of Angel (moreso than she ever was in Buffy), but once Doyle is out of the show, she gets her chance to shine.

Of course, I'm only barely into the third season of Angel, so I can't speak for anything beyond that.

·
West Coast citizen!
28,422 Posts
Originally posted by scooterboy
Jeez, now you guys have me again wondering whether I should get into this show. Sounds very addictive.

I'm giving a friend Season 1 on DVD for Xmas - he's a huge fan and has been extolling the virtues of Buffydom to me since the first season. For some reason I just never gave it a shot. I've watched a minute or two while channel surfing but I suppose you need to know the characters to
really "get it".

Perhaps I'll borrow Season 1 from him after he unwraps it. :)
[UMF]If it helps, Amazon.com has a package with Seasons 1 - 4 on DVD for $118... free shipping included. At that price, even if you hate the show, you can still sell it used on eBay and just about get all your money back :D [/UMF]

·
West Coast citizen!
28,422 Posts
Taken from today's IMDB news. As far as Sarah Michelle Gellar making an appearance on Angel....

Sarah Michelle Gellar has further broken the hearts of Buffy The Vampire Slayer fans - she has turned down the chance to recreate her famous TV character in episodes of spin-off series Angel. Buffy creator Joss Whedon had offered the actress the chance to return to TV in 2004 to play Buffy in two special episodes of Angel, but she has turned him down. A disappointed Whedon says, "She feels it's not the right time."
My thought is, give it time. After the Scooby Doo movie franchise dies down, she'll come back.

·
West Coast citizen!
28,422 Posts
Originally posted by TampaThunder
If she's lucky he'll kill her off.
Yeah, but.... (warning, spoilers for anyone that hasn't finished Buffy)
She's already died twice. The only certainty about Buffy is that death isn't final, especially in Buffy's case.

:D

·
West Coast citizen!
28,422 Posts
cpalma, since you're talking about spoilers from this season of Angel, would you please add a
tag? Some of the latecomers to Angel (myself included) aren't watching the most recent season yet and don't want it spoiled.

·
West Coast citizen!
28,422 Posts
Originally posted by Agatha Mystery
I got the seasons 1-4 in the Amazon special a while back.
I'm trying desperately to resist the UMF for that right now. $118 is just a steal. I'm hoping they'll be under the Christmas tree from Santa this year.

If they show up in my Gold Box before then, though, I may not be able to resist anymore. :(

·
West Coast citizen!
28,422 Posts
SMG was great in Buffy. Her acting job in The Body is nothing short of riveting, and I consider it the pinacle of her performances in BtVS.

Everything outside of Buffy, though? Meh.

·
West Coast citizen!
28,422 Posts
Originally posted by whoknows55
I've only seen up to what FX broadcast yesterday morning, but am I the only one who thinks we need to see Spike as a British glam rocker?
James Marsters has his own band, actually. :)

From what I've heard from my Buffy Buddy who saw them in L.A. a few months ago, they're not that stellar.

·
West Coast citizen!
28,422 Posts
Originally posted by AJRitz
All I can say is that this is a remarkably well-constructed series, both in terms of individual episodes building a cohesive and integrated season and then each season building on the one before. Just wonderful television. The way I see it...
If that's the way you see it, Season 5 will absolutely knock your socks off. :)

·
West Coast citizen!
28,422 Posts
Skittles-
You're not helping with my impatience here . . .
If it makes you feel any better, I'm tapping my own foot, waiting impatiently for Uncle Sam to give me my tax refund so I can order all 5 of the Buffy boxed sets from Amazon. :D

Granted, I've already seen all the Buffy episodes, but work with me here

·
West Coast citizen!
28,422 Posts
Skittles - The friend who finally pushed me to watch Buffy was in town over the weekend. We were talking about the fact that my impressions the show are probably different from those of someone who was watching the episodes as they aired. I didn't have to suffer through the anticipation of the next show in a week (or in three months) and I didn't have to put up with promotional spots that tend to spoil surprises. I think it allowed me to enjoy the "filler" episodes more than someone who watched as they aired, because I could appreciate them for what they were without being disappointed that I'd have to wait another week for an episode with more "meat" to it - i.e. my appreciation for Beer Bad, an episode that many people hated.
I'm with you all the way on this.

I watched Buffy after it'd finished its initial airing, when a friend of mine (who's a huge Buffy/Angel fanatic) suggested I start watching it. I've found that some of my favorite episodes are the "one-off" offerings that don't directly tie into the overall story arc, particularly Beer Bad and A New Man. When I told my friend how much I'd enjoyed Beer Bad, he sort of scoffed at me as though I'd insulted him. :)

I probably had it a bit worse than you, because watching it on FX (rather than on DVD) meant waiting over weekends before I could watch the next episode. Still, it's better than waiting weeks/months between them. But, at the same time, those weekend breaks would always coincide with some of the cliffhanger episodes. :)

You, however, have it much worse. Once you finish the Season 5 boxed set, you're stuck either (A) waiting a month or two for FX to cycle the Season 6 reruns, or (B) waiting until May 25th for the Season 6 boxed set. And trust me, when you finish Season 5, you're going to be eagerly awaiting Season 6.

BTW, I thought that (as a whole) Season 4 was fairly weak. The whole Adam arc lost its steam about midway through, and felt forced by the end. The finale of that season sort of makes up for it, in a Twin Peaks-esque way. It has some excellent episodes (Hush, in particular), but from an overall standpoint it's lacking. Still, bad Buffy is better than a lot of things on TV. :D

·
West Coast citizen!
28,422 Posts
Also, if you have problems finding it, I have the full (unedited) version of the Season 6 musical, Once More With Feeling, in MPEG format. I've also got the 30 minute "Behind the Scenes" special on the making of the episode. Let me know if you need it. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.