TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,108 Posts
Though it's nice to have the DVD's, you can catch all of the eps, in order for the most part, on FX.

I thought season 2 is really when the series really began to shine. I liked it far better than season 5 (I thought the big bad on Season 5 was kinda lame).

·
Premium Member
23,108 Posts
Originally posted by ccwf
"The Wish" and "Doppelgängland" are two of my favorites. It would have been wonderful to see more building on that continuity.
I loved those eps. :)

Some of my faves were (from no particular seasonal order)
Nightmares
Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered
The Zeppo (or any other Xander-centric ep)
Hush
Once more With Feeling (I still sing some of the songs to myself)
Prophecy Girl

Season 2 was probably my favorite overall, now that I think about it. So many great moments. The show hit its stride with the characters and relationships. And it still had that exciting "new show" smell. :)

·
Premium Member
23,108 Posts
This has probably been discussed before, but last night I watched "Once More with Feeling" on Netflix and noticed a whole lot of stuff cut out. Basically Netflix has the edited version of it that aired on repeats. The first airing was an extended version. The edits don't cripple the episode, but a first time viewer doesn't get the full Whedon experience.

I wish there was an easy way to complain to Netflix about this.

BTW, Hulu has the unedited extended version.

·
Premium Member
23,108 Posts
Except the widescreen presentation screws up all kinds of things. My earlier link had several technical examples; Whedon himself gave some very compelling dramatic examples (e.g., in The Body there's a scene where the widescreen image completely destroys the emotion of the moment) back when the DVDs first came out, but I can't find a link to it with all the articles that have been done in light of the new HD butcherings.

They knew exactly what the image would look like on TV, and they very carefully arranged things to fit within that image. AFAIC, widescreen presentation of a 4:3 image is as bad as a pan-and-scan presentation of a widescreen image. OAR rules!
Disagree about the "destroys the emotional moment." Watched "The Body" in WS and it was still very compelling. Some of the time during the original run I felt at times the framing was TOO claustrophobic. And watching it on a WS I find the pillarboxing distracting at times.

And it's not a "butchering." There are some problems here and there (and can be cherry picked to make the conversion seem much worse), but the vast majority of it is fine.

·
Premium Member
23,108 Posts
I've heard all about that stuff, and I've done my own watching and evaluation and it hardly bothers me at all. it's not like I'm jumping to conclusions and don't know what I'm talking about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.