TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) slingbox will stop forever in November. I have used for many years
2) Logitech has stopped selling the great Harmony universal remotes. I have used for 15 years
3) Caavo never did ship the 8 HDMI port unit they promised 2 years ago and the company seems to be going nowhere
4) the basic playon is no longer sold and they haven't had any support release notes since August 2020. This was plex before plex was invented and I still use it all the time to stream vids from my PC to my TV

and of course Tivo is becoming obsolete with the cable industry stopping the distribution of cable cards and the long term trend to go away from cable and to streaming . I have used since 2002.

·
Tivo Image Master
279 Posts
I agree fully. Here's what I'm using:
1) slingbox will stop forever in November. I have used for many years
If you pick up a simple FireTV stick, or cube (more expensive) you can watch anything you want anywhere in your house, except for Apple phones and tablets. Just install the stick/cube, install kodi, and bob's your uncle. Every two to five years or so you need to update the software unless you're into basic coding, but other than that you're golden. Best part? It's 100% free and you get every show ever released throughout history.
2) Logitech has stopped selling the great Harmony universal remotes. I have used for 15 years
If they die, you can take them to the local Iphone repair shop (not apple store) and they'll redo the soldering, even micro soldering, to get it running again.
3) Caavo never did ship the 8 HDMI port unit they promised 2 years ago and the company seems to be going nowhere
Can't help you here. I don't have a need for 8 hdmi ports.
4) the basic playon is no longer sold and they haven't had any support release notes since August 2020. This was plex before plex was invented and I still use it all the time to stream vids from my PC to my TV
It's 2022 and I'm still using Tivo Desktop and winAVI video converter to stream from my pc to my Roamio. Zero issues and rock solid. If you "upgraded" (downgraded) to the new Bolts you can't do this as they disabled streaming.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A few months ago I bought a Sofabaton U1 universal remote for $50 and recommend it for those who, like me, are frustrated with Logitech Harmony. It’s not as flexible (macros are much more limited) as the Harmony units, has excellent battery life and after getting used to it, I prefer it over all Harmonies but the Ultimate One, at 1/8th the cost. Battery life is excellent, it’s easy to use, but my favorite aspect is setup: all configuration is done over Bluetooth from a smartphone app, so changes take effect immediately. No batching all updates only to have the last sync step fail, forcing you to start from scratch. (The old My Harmony Mac app was famous for that.) The early versions of the app were crash prone, so I raised support tickets and, to my shock, each time I did that they released a new, fixed version within two weeks.
My biggest complaint is the narrow IR beam. You have to be pretty careful to point it directly at the receiver, so I ended up moving some of my smaller components closer to each other.

·
Proud Tivolutionary
17,404 Posts
Bummer. Fortunately (?), I stopped using my What is an original ("Classic") Slingbox? many years ago and then gave it away ever since it went into non-support.

I never had a Harmony remote nor a Caavo. Never even heard of PlayOn until now.

As for CableCARD, Comcast in my area still supports them but yeah, it does seem like they are going to go into decline/non-support at the whim of cable companies since there's no longer any mandate. :(

As for streaming from TiVo, I didn't upgrade the TiVo iOS app on my 2 iPads so I'm using an ancient version before the update that would invalidate all the downloads to them. But, the streaming from TiVo to iPads was so unreliable (usually requiring a reboot on the Bolt+ to fix it), it was just annoying and almost useless.

I recently upgraded my failing battery iPhone 8 to an iPhone SE 3rd gen so none of the recordings (downloads) carried over. :( I downloaded the latest version of TiVo's iOS app and it's completely useless. It crashes within 15 seconds of launch. Deleting and re-installing it doesn't help. It still crashes when launching. Have tried it at home wi-fi, work wi-fi, just over cellular, w/phone in airplane mode all to no avail. It crashes fastest if you turn on airplane mode, turn off wi-fi and Bluetooth.

Upgrading thru a few iOS versions hasn't helped either but only today did I try more combos of connectivity.

·
Cracker Soul
2,494 Posts
I've happily adopted Roku with FuboTV and Philo for 80% of our TV viewing but every time I'm fortunate enough to catch a sporting event on my OTA TiVo I miss the good old days of TiVo and crystal clear trickplay. There is nothing like the smooth fast forward, slow motion, or frame by frame features in any streaming product. Will anyone ever care enough to reproduce it again?

And don't get me started on remotes. TiVo perfected the remote with all the essential buttons in a perfect ergonomic layout. Now the emphasis seems to be on minimizing the number of buttons to the point where you everything has to be navigated on screen. Or through their listening device.

Argh. These kids today should get off my lawn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes Comcast still does support cable cards but they are the only ones. I don;t see how TIVO can survive with apps only. The recording feature isn't needed for the apps. I have 4 TIVOS 3 with lifetime subscriptions. I'm in the process of moving to an area where Comcast is not at. There are 3 competing cable companies but they do not have cable cards. Thanks to Obama signing to deregulate this. STELAR is largely focused on allowing satellite operators to stream out-of-market broadcast TV signals to rural areas, it also includes a provision ending the requirement for cable providers to offer set-tops with separable security. The so-called CableCARD rule, which went into effect in 2007, will now expire on December 31, 2015.

The reason for the number of baxes was daughter recorded her stuff and son recorded his stuff. Of coarse we recorded our stuff. We have always LOVED Tivo. I do believe this is why there support has suffered.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,761 Posts
Yes Comcast still does support cable cards but they are the only ones. I don;t see how TIVO can survive with apps only. The recording feature isn't needed for the apps. I have 4 TIVOS 3 with lifetime subscriptions. I'm in the process of moving to an area where Comcast is not at. There are 3 competing cable companies but they do not have cable cards. Thanks to Obama signing to deregulate this.
Among the many inaccuracies in your post, I will just point out this one: President Obama had nothing whatsoever to do with the end of the CableCARD mandate. That was an FCC rule that was discarded under the leadership of the Republican chairman, Ajit Pai (appointed to the FCC on the recommendation of Mitch McConnell and designated as chairman by Obama's successor in the White House). Pai is a telecommunications industry shill who worked tirelessly against consumer interests while on the FCC. If you want to assess political blame for the demise of CableCARD (as opposed to the technological reasons), look no further than the party whose major platform is to oppose all government regulation of industry.

·
Tivo Image Master
279 Posts
Among the many inaccuracies in your post, I will just point out this one: President Obama had nothing whatsoever to do with the end of the CableCARD mandate. That was an FCC rule that was discarded under the leadership of the Republican chairman, Ajit Pai (appointed to the FCC on the recommendation of Mitch McConnell and designated as chairman by Obama's successor in the White House). Pai is a telecommunications industry shill who worked tirelessly against consumer interests while on the FCC. If you want to assess political blame for the demise of CableCARD (as opposed to the technological reasons), look no further than the party whose major platform is to oppose all government regulation of industry.
Mitch mcConnell is not a republican. He's a swamp rat and he'll do whatever the swamp tells him to. As for the FCC, they operate at the direction of the president, whomever is in office at the time. They're all bad, Chiguy. Don't tote water for any of them.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,761 Posts
Mitch mcConnell is not a republican. He's a swamp rat and he'll do whatever the swamp tells him to. As for the FCC, they operate at the direction of the president, whomever is in office at the time. They're all bad, Chiguy. Don't tote water for any of them.
I am not toting water for anyone and am certainly no fan of our "open to the highest bidder" system of governance. Nonetheless, you can not justify painting all members of the FCC with the same cynical "they're all bad" brush. Those members who shill for industry--either by dint of their background or so as to grease the skids for return to a cushy corporate/lobbyist gig, or both (like Pai)--are not performing their sworn duties as a government watchdog.

In point of fact, there have been many recent FCC members (including former chairman Tom Wheeler and current chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel ) that have IMHO been fair-minded and have looked out for the interests of consumers as well as industry.

At any rate, CableCARD is a technology that will gradually be obviated by the growing prevalence of IP transmission, if not by OTT services. The mandate is probably not warranted anymore, much as I appreciated having it to rely on over the years.

·
Tivo Image Master
279 Posts
I am not toting water for anyone and am certainly no fan of our "open to the highest bidder" system of governance. Nonetheless, you can not justify painting all members of the FCC with the same cynical "they're all bad" brush. Those members who shill for industry--either by dint of their background or so as to grease the skids for return to a cushy corporate/lobbyist gig, or both (like Pai)--are not performing their sworn duties as a government watchdog.

In point of fact, there have been many recent FCC members (including former chairman Tom Wheeler and current chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel ) that have IMHO been fair-minded and have looked out for the interests of consumers as well as industry.

At any rate, CableCARD is a technology that will gradually be obviated by the growing prevalence of IP transmission, if not by OTT services. The mandate is probably not warranted anymore, much as I appreciated having it to rely on over the years.
It's my brush and I'll paint whomever I please with it, thank you.

All kidding aside, the constitutionality of the FCC et al is something up for discussion. Our country is run by unelected officials passing laws that no elected officials need support, and thus no way for the governed to react to change the laws. Whereas if Congress would do it's job and legislate directly we could vote as we see fit to support or revolt against various edicts. Much of the FCC's rulings over the last few years are to push consumerism and spur tax dollars forward.

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
All kidding aside, the constitutionality of the FCC et al is something up for discussion. Our country is run by unelected officials passing laws that no elected officials need support, and thus no way for the governed to react to change the laws. Whereas if Congress would do it's job and legislate directly we could vote as we see fit to support or revolt against various edicts. Much of the FCC's rulings over the last few years are to push consumerism and spur tax dollars forward.
I'd quibble with this. Congress all too often stays in complete gridlock, or just doesn't seem to care about certain issues. But they absolutely do have a way to react to changes in how administrative agencies interpret the laws. If Congress doesn't like what an agency is doing they can pass a law either forbidding that practice, mandating how the agency acts, or adjusting its scope of authority.

Their laws 100% override any regulatory policy or interpretation a government agency issues. It's only when Congress does not exercise that authority that the unelected officials in the agencies can do more or less as they please.

That said, I don't think we could practically get rid of the agencies. It would be nearly impossible for Congress to pass a law so perfect and so comprehensive that no technical experts in an administrative agency would be needed to develop regulations around how that law is put into practice; or that no guidance needed to be issues to clarify how the existing laws and rules should be applied to some unforeseen new situation. First because that level of foresight is basically impossible. But second because Congress aren't technical experts in the fields overseen by the various agencies - and so generally lack the expertise to turn their desired outcome into concrete regulatory steps. That's why they delegate the creation of regulations to implement their laws to the agencies which are supposed to be staffed by subject mater experts.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,761 Posts
All kidding aside, the constitutionality of the FCC et al is something up for discussion. Our country is run by unelected officials passing laws that no elected officials need support, and thus no way for the governed to react to change the laws.
I thought you said "all kidding aside," but then you stated that you think "unelected officials" (presumably meaning federal agencies) are "passing laws that no elected officials need support." Either you are joking or you are confused about how government works. It is the U.S. Congress (composed entirely of elected officials) that passes laws, not federal agencies. The Congress also is charged with oversight of those agencies (including appointments) and controls the budget appropriated for their operations. How well that oversight is exercised is another question entirely.

An effective and non-partisan FCC (and, no, there is no question about its constitutionality) would be a win/win/win for consumers, industry, and the national interest. And sometimes that means issuing unpopular decisions. I would like to see a permanent CableCARD mandate (along with sensible net neutrality rules), but as a democratic society we have the government we deserve.

Disclaimer: I am a retired U.S. Army professional who spent most of my 20-year career in the field of civil-military operations dealing with Congress and the federal bureaucracy. If anyone has the right to feel jaded about their modus operandi, it is I. :sick:

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I would like to see a permanent CableCARD mandate
Buggy whips FOREVER! ;)

Technology and industry march on. Nothing's permanent. But for you folks on Comcast cable, I suspect you'll be safe with your CableCARDs at least until they implement DOCSIS 4.0, when I'd say there's a good chance they take the network all-IP and dump QAM TV. But I bet we don't see Comcast even start widespread D4.0 upgrades until 2026.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts