TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Tivo Evangelist
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Number crunchin'
Joined
·
38,307 Posts
I don't suppose you can control two different TiVos with this remote?
 

·
Astute User
Joined
·
17,877 Posts
Yes, you can, but you have to send it in for upgrades, or if you are so inclined, add the appropriate hardware and upgrade it yourself.
 

·
Just hangin'
Joined
·
30,961 Posts
I control two DVRs with the an unmodicifed 6131. The trick is that the two dont use the same remote code set, one is a T60 and the other is a DSR6000. The T60 uses the CBL/SAT button and the DSR used the PVR button. I know this doesn't help anyone anymore, but thought I'd mention it anyway. :)
 

·
Number crunchin'
Joined
·
38,307 Posts
Edmund said:
No, but the newer oFA remotes can, they're the urc-8820 and 10820. They have setup codes for alternate remote addresses 1-4. These remotes are under $20 on-line.
Excellent. I may have to get one of those. :up:
 

·
Remote Czar
Joined
·
6,888 Posts
JimSpence said:
I control two DVRs with the an unmodicifed 6131. The trick is that the two dont use the same remote code set, one is a T60 and the other is a DSR6000. The T60 uses the CBL/SAT button and the DSR used the PVR button. I know this doesn't help anyone anymore, but thought I'd mention it anyway. :)
The question is what are you going to do when the R15's come out? :)
 

·
Astute User
Joined
·
17,877 Posts
I'd build and upgrade and add it to my JP1 remote. But since I don't have DirecTV, it is of no consequence to me.
 

·
Remote Czar
Joined
·
6,888 Posts


The middle remote is the 6131N, on the right is 8820. Thats where the similarity stops. The 8820's code library, learning, and macros on device keys sets it apart from the 6131N. The only tivo code in ther 6131N is for address "0", the 8820 has codes addresses 1-4.

The 6131N has codes for 60 dvd brands, the 8820 has codes for 141!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
As a stock remote, the 8820 is clearly superior to either version of the 6131. However, the 8820 is not JP1 compatible and cannot be made JP1 compatible. The 6131s can be made to be JP1 compatible, and that is their appeal, in addition to having TiVo labelled buttons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Does anybody know where I can still get a "real" URC-6131 remote, (not a URC-6131n), preferably online, at a reasonable price?

The other sources mentioned in this thread for the 6131 seem to be out of date or only have the 6131n.

Also, I am considering the URC-8910, which does not explicitly have PVR-oriented functionality/layouts, and the URC-8820 mentioned in this thread. Does anyone have any opinions?

The 8820 is about $14 online, The 8910 is about $21 (at amazon).

I am not looking to do any complicated programming, just to control my theater system set up which includes a TIVO series 2, Dish Networks 8111 satellite receiver, Onkyo home theater system, Toshiba VCR and Panasonic DVD player (and maybe even my Sony CD changer). (why use the same brand twice?)


Thanks in advance.
 

·
run of the mill TCFer
Joined
·
31,665 Posts
Edmund said:
No, but the newer oFA remotes can, they're the urc-8820 and 10820. They have setup codes for alternate remote addresses 1-4. These remotes are under $20 on-line.
Yes, indeed. Edmund helped educate me on this remote, and I got it for $17.96 (which includes shipping) from buy.com.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
classicsat said:
Yes, you can, but you have to send it in for upgrades, or if you are so inclined, add the appropriate hardware and upgrade it yourself.
I bought a Universal remote that they said needed an upgrade to work with my TIVO. I said OK, how do I send it in, etc. They kept stonewalling and never answered the question, after several e-mails. Finally, I gave up, and returned the remote to the store.
 

·
Toboggan noggin
Joined
·
13,250 Posts
Edmund said:


The middle remote is the 6131N, on the right is 8820. Thats where the similarity stops. The 8820's code library, learning, and macros on device keys sets it apart from the 6131N. The only tivo code in ther 6131N is for address "0", the 8820 has codes addresses 1-4.

The 6131N has codes for 60 dvd brands, the 8820 has codes for 141!!
Does the 8820 have the correct codes for the Pioneer DVD-R Tivos?
 

·
Toboggan noggin
Joined
·
13,250 Posts
Edmund said:
The code is DVD 0631, I know this is the code because it has the same effect on all my tivos as a tivo remote set to addreess "0" does. :(
So in essence, it's the same code as the 6131. Which works for the tivo stuff, but doesn't do anything for the dvd functionality.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top