TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 100 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Interesting first start but the skill needs a lot of refinement.

1) "Alexa, watch TNT" - for some reason, changing channels w/ the TiVo skill is slower than it is with the Harmony skill. Also, it shouldn't say "tuning to CNN on TiVo"
2) "Alexa, watch HBO" - doesn't work; somehow, it can't find HBO
3) "Alexa, skip" - doesm't work for me
4) "Alexa, play" - works at time but for some seems like Alexa switches focus to Spotify very quickly for me. That's on Alexa not this skill though
5) "Alexa, rewind" - doesn't work. Only "Alexa, previous" works. Can you add a rewind also especially since there's fast forward?

Good first try though

·
Old AVS Forum Member
990 Posts
So it says it's activated on my TiVo, but every code I put in to link with Alexa says "Code is either incorrect or expired" ????
I can't even get connected. I just get "The was a problem linking devices, you'll need to try again." when I try to get my code. I rebooted my TiVo to see if that would fix it. Why can't it ever be easy??? SMH!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I can't even get connected. I just get "The was a problem linking devices, you'll need to try again." when I try to get my code. I rebooted my TiVo to see if that would fix it. Why can't it ever be easy??? SMH!
Same. I got that on my bolt yesterday starting around noon. Tired a dozen or more times threwout the day and night but it kept giving me that error :( my minis and roamio still say coming soon so I couldnt try it with those boxes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It sounds like from what I'm reading here is if i have one echo dot and 4 tivo mini's in one room I can control each of them by using the name of the box I used when I activated the mini? Is this correct or can I only marry the echo dot to one mini?

·
I'm Feeling Blue
303 Posts
Working well for me here on Roamio Pro and two Minis. No issues with my Alexa hearing me over the surround sound system. It will be a convenience for me when I'm across the room, in the kitchen, or otherwise away from the remote, but the slight delay in response means it will never replace the remote when I'm sitting in front the television.

·
Registered
232 Posts
This was my first concern. I was bummed to see the friendly name approach, since it means controlling more than one TiVo would require specifying the TiVo's name in every command:

"Alexa, skip" :)

"Alexa, skip on TiVo Family Room" :(

Ugh. I was hoping the TiVo could be paired with specific echo devices (e.g., if I say "Alexa, skip" in the family room near the dot, then skip on the family room TiVo; if I say the same thing in the master bedroom to the echo spot, then skip on the bedroom's TiVo mini). Unfortunately, reviewing Amazon's API docs, it doesn't look like skills are given any information about which device heard the command... so, TiVo would have no way of knowing where you are when you issue the command. Bummer.

Looks likely we'll only be using this nifty new skill in the family room.
Wow...can you imagine, some of us as kids actually had to get up from the floor to change the channel on our tv!.
Then remotes came around and you had to point it just right at a certain spot on the tv. Then came the RF remotes, just pick it up no pointing. Now no germs involved, no looking for that black thing in the seat cushion...just open your mouth and Walla! I guess next would be mind control?!? Mmmm...lol

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Wow...can you imagine, some of us as kids actually had to get up from the floor to change the channel on our tv!.
Then remotes came around and you had to point it just right at a certain spot on the tv. Then came the RF remotes, just pick it up no pointing. Now no germs involved, no looking for that black thing in the seat cushion...just open your mouth and Walla! I guess next would be mind control?!? Mmmm...lol
You forgot that interim stage when remotes were, egads, wired to the box. ;)

And perhaps, before moving to mind control, we could have an always-on video sensor as part of a device, watching for hand or eye gestures to control the device. :)

·
UHD Addict
24,275 Posts
That's odd, as I constantly hear that the Echo listens and hears so well.
They do. my four Gen 2 echos and 3 Echo Minis do a great job responding. Even when there is a lot of extraneous noise. And My Gen 1 Echos worked just as well. Although I traded them in when I got my Gen 2 Echos.

I was hoping the Echo app was ready on my Mini Vox so I could try it out last night. But it still showed up as coming soon.

·
Banned
1,642 Posts
Just tried the Alexa control yesterday. I was not impressed. Worked some times. trying to go to Netflix, kept going to the firetv. Was a big disappointment.
That what you get for using the enemy product with Amazon Alexa, she is viscous if you are not faithful to her. She sounds Chinese sometimes if you notice.

BTW, the thread title should be changed, its no longer coming soon.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks everyone for posting your findings so far. We are keeping an eye on things here as well as looking at phone support calls. Moving from beta testing to production usually uncovers some dynamic issues with load balancing across multiple data centers, etc. Please keep reporting your issues here and I'll try to post updates as I get them.

·
tivo_xml developer
2,538 Posts
Thanks everyone for posting your findings so far. We are keeping an eye on things here as well as looking at phone support calls. Moving from beta testing to production usually uncovers some dynamic issues with load balancing across multiple data centers, etc. Please keep reporting your issues here and I'll try to post updates as I get them.
I was able to link several Amazon devices (Echo, minis, apps) to two of my four tivos (one is a roamio, one is a mini, and the two that I left unlinked are Premieres that are not located near any Alexas). No problems with any of the skill setup/linking parts. I tried to use several phrases I thought would work ("Alexa change Living Room TiVo to Fox", "Alexa go to menu", etc.) and none worked. What did work was pause/play. I tried skip as well (even though I was in live tv mode and knew I wouldn't be able to skip) and that failed as well. This was all around 6:30-7:15 am EST this morning before I went into work. I'll bang on it a bunch this evening, as I have some free time, and report back. Also, happy to share TSN/Alexa account login privately, if that would be useful.

81 - 100 of 402 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.