TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 402 Posts

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
No you shouldn't need a remote for this? Where did you get that?

Scott
It was an add-on Suggestion at the bottom of the DOT page. I will investigate some more. So you think this is the enhancement? Wish I would have bought one of those $199 All-In 500gb OTA's last xmas. If not to just ***** about Hydra in here...some good things, but more bad, I think from what I read...:( :D:D:D

Oh well! Thanks.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
It was an add-on Suggestion at the bottom of the DOT page. I will investigate some more. So you think this is the enhancement? Wish I would have bought one of those $199 All-In 500gb OTA's last xmas. If not to just ***** about Hydra in here...some good things, but more bad, I think from what I read...:( :D:D:D

Oh well! Thanks.
There's always BF this year . . . . ;)

·
I am Groot!
64,400 Posts
I use Alexa (with Harmony) to turn my system on and off, but using it while watching TV just doesn't interest me. I need/want the responsiveness of a remote for all my in-show actions. Plus it seems I would need the remote anyway to do 30-second skip, and when I'm watching TV I don't want to have to stop and think about which method to use for which action.

And I'm sure others will use and love this! Which is great for them, but it's just not at all for me.

·
I'm Feeling Blue
303 Posts
I need/want the responsiveness of a remote for all my in-show actions.
In general I agree, although there are times when I'm in the kitchen or another part of the house when it would be handy to pause/resume or change channels. This will be a convenience, but is unlikely to become my primary means of interacting with my TiVo.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hopefully this will support the VOX type commands where you can ask tivo "what's on tonight", or actually do searches by voice.
I have a feeling it will just be generic media commands like play, pause, skip, etc... I already use harmony for these types of commands.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
In general I agree, although there are times when I'm in the kitchen or another part of the house when it would be handy to pause/resume or change channels. This will be a convenience, but is unlikely to become my primary means of interacting with my TiVo.
I had been thinking the same thing: great for the kitchen, as your hands are occupied, and messy, preparing food and you are across the room. Less obvious while sitting on the couch or lying in bed. Although, new tech. always is fun to play with. :)

·
Funkadelic
4,705 Posts
I use Alexa (with Harmony) to turn my system on and off, but using it while watching TV just doesn't interest me. [...] And I'm sure others will use and love this! Which is great for them, but it's just not at all for me.
For launching apps or changing (live) channel by name, I'm in the love camp. Why click through the UI or remember all the channel numbers, which I don't. (Also a Harmony owner.) Ironically, Alexa control resurfaces a TiVo limitation tho - sure wish, wish they had CEC. TV could be off and on a different input, and I'd say Alexa, live TV and it'd all pop up without further interaction.

·
I am Groot!
64,400 Posts
For launching apps or changing (live) channel by name, I'm in the love camp. Why click through the UI or remember all the channel numbers, which I don't. (Also a Harmony owner.) Ironically, Alexa control resurfaces a TiVo limitation tho - sure wish, wish they had CEC. TV could be off and on a different input, and I'd say Alexa, live TV and it'd all pop up without further interaction.
Neither of which are factors for me, because I literally never watch live TV, and because I have a Harmony remote which takes care of all the AV device settings. And I only use apps through the TV itself, not TiVo, so I can take advantage of 4K.

·
I'm Feeling Blue
303 Posts
See Smart Home and TiVo-Alexa How To:

Alexa can do many of the things you usually do with your TiVo remote.

Alexa commands
Here are some things you can try:

• "Alexa, pause"
  • "Alexa, fast forward." To fast forward at higher speeds, say "Alexa fast forward again."
  • "Alexa, previous" is like pressing the Instant Replay button (jumps back 8 seconds).
  • "Alexa, skip" or "Alexa, next" will skip a commercial break on SkipMode-enabled shows.
  • "Alexa, change the channel to <channel number>."
  • "Alexa, watch <channel name>" (e.g., CBS or ESPN). You must set up your Zip code in the Alexa app to enable this command. (Go to Settings, choose your device, then verify the Zip code under 'Device Location.')
  • "Alexa, go to Guide."
  • "Alexa, go to Home" opens the TiVo Home screen.
  • "Alexa, launch <app name>." Available apps include Prime Video, Netflix, HBO GO, Hulu, YouTube, iHeartRadio, Pandora, Vudu, MLB.TV, Plex, and more.

Note that commands like "Pause" or "Play" are also used in other Alexa skills (e.g. music skills). To use them, you may need to add "on TiVo" when you issue the command (for example, "Alexa, play on TiVo.")

Unfortunately, no search :( (although at the bottom of the first page linked it does say "More to Come.")

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any idea how this works with multiple TiVo's on the same network?
This was my first concern. I was bummed to see the friendly name approach, since it means controlling more than one TiVo would require specifying the TiVo's name in every command:

"Alexa, skip" :)

"Alexa, skip on TiVo Family Room" :(

Ugh. I was hoping the TiVo could be paired with specific echo devices (e.g., if I say "Alexa, skip" in the family room near the dot, then skip on the family room TiVo; if I say the same thing in the master bedroom to the echo spot, then skip on the bedroom's TiVo mini). Unfortunately, reviewing Amazon's API docs, it doesn't look like skills are given any information about which device heard the command... so, TiVo would have no way of knowing where you are when you issue the command. Bummer.

Looks likely we'll only be using this nifty new skill in the family room.

21 - 40 of 402 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.