TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looked for the app on my Roamio Pro (TE3), but didn't see it.

Already having a Harmony set up with Alexa, I don't know how useful, some of the commands will be. I can see jumping to channels and apps being useful, but things like pause, it's easier to use the remote. Also Alexa works best when other people (like the TV) aren't talking.
I also have Harmony setup with Alexa. However, the ability to search for, play and record shows is what I'm looking forward to the most. Also, things like "what's on TV" or change to a sports game without knowing the channel would be very helpful e.g. the NBA playoffs.

"Alexa, pause" would be great vs "Alexa, pause {Harmony Activity}". BTW, Harmony should also be able to do just "Alexa, pause" without the activity name and it works fine in my bedroom with Roku. However, for some reason, doesn't work in living room w/ tivo.

Finally, it'd be nice to be able to navigate to channels I haven't set up as favorites in Harmony. I find myself occasionally having to go to such channels and having to search using TiVo for the channel.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's not clear that searching is coming (at least anytime soon). At CES, only Google Home was demoed to have searching and back then, PCMag reported that Alexa won't have it but Google would.
TiVo Adds Alexa, Google Assistant Control to its DVRs

Also, I asked if it was eventually coming in the Facebook IFTTT group and while David Shoop said it won't be in the 1.0 release, he also said he wasn't clear on the roadmap for it (which seems a pretty negative sign). Apparently, in Google Home, the mic is open so they can search. Anyways, doesn't look too positive in the searching front and so, this skill will offer only very marginal benefit over the Harmony skill (change to a channel without first making it a favorite and not mentioning the box name for 5 mins)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Most people should never encounter this problem. During setup, each Alexa device will be associated with a single TiVo device. In my case, I associated my Echo Show in the kitchen with my family room BOLT. And, I associated my Echo Dot with my bedroom TiVo MINI. At that point, I can just say "Alexa, tune to CBS" in either room and each Echo knows which TiVo to control. The nice thing about using "tune" as your first command is that in my case it grabs focus on the TiVo because there are no other skills that understand the command "tune". If I had been listening to music on the Echo and said "Alexa, pause" it would pause my music. To switch device focus, I would have had to say "Alexa, pause on TiVo" At that point, I can now say "Alexa, play" without needing to add "on TiVo" to the command. This is all handled by the Alexa Video Skills Kit (VSK). Amazon have also completely changed the rules around how long you maintain focus. I believe it is no longer a fixed time, but can retain focus for much longer periods of time if you have not shifted focus to another device.
@Tivo_Ted, any idea if search is in the works?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not yet. If you go back and watch our CES demos, you'll see that we were able to do this with Google Home. I can't promise any features or dates yet. Let's get this first skill going. ;)
@TiVo_Ted, yeah, I talked about the video in my earlier post and my fear was that Alexa voice searching wasn't on the roadmap. It's a bit interesting that you signed up as a partner for the new DVR capabilities even though it's not yet on the roadmap . Hopefully, it'd get there at some point.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Interesting first start but the skill needs a lot of refinement.

1) "Alexa, watch TNT" - for some reason, changing channels w/ the TiVo skill is slower than it is with the Harmony skill. Also, it shouldn't say "tuning to CNN on TiVo"
2) "Alexa, watch HBO" - doesn't work; somehow, it can't find HBO
3) "Alexa, skip" - doesm't work for me
4) "Alexa, play" - works at time but for some seems like Alexa switches focus to Spotify very quickly for me. That's on Alexa not this skill though
5) "Alexa, rewind" - doesn't work. Only "Alexa, previous" works. Can you add a rewind also especially since there's fast forward?

Good first try though

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ok, here's a low fidelity video of me using Alexa to control a TiVo MINI VOX
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Ted,

Do you expect the Alexa commands to get faster over time. It's a bit surprising that it takes so long to respond to commands. I've been using Alexa with Harmony and also use it with SmartThings and hue bulbs etc and those are a lot faster than with TiVo. I'm curious as it's such slower with TiVo. Seems almost the same speed as IFTTT.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I hear you guys but that's the price of innovation. If people were this concerned about privacy back then, phones would never have gotten off the ground because there would have been a chance of these guys eavesdropping on your intimate phone conversations. Sending letters through the mail, same story (could be intercepted). Webcams on laptops, same story. Satellites, they can track your whereabouts. GPS on phones... The list goes on and on.

The reality is tech moves forward and you decide whether you want to move with it (and bear the really small risks of you being negatively affected by the advancements) or you stay behind and ignore the advances. For me, I'm much more than willing to live with the low risks while enjoying the impressive benefits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.