TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 19 of 27 Posts

·
I'm Feeling Blue
303 Posts
This is based on the new Alexa Video Skill API and you can get some idea of the potential functionality from that link.

The Video Skill API exposes a variety of functionality including:
  • Searching and playing content
  • Playback controls such as pause and rewind
  • Launching an app or GUI shortcut
  • Recording video content
  • Channel navigation
  • Video catalog ingestion
I'm particularly looking forward to ingesting my video catalog. ;)

·
I'm Feeling Blue
303 Posts
I need/want the responsiveness of a remote for all my in-show actions.
In general I agree, although there are times when I'm in the kitchen or another part of the house when it would be handy to pause/resume or change channels. This will be a convenience, but is unlikely to become my primary means of interacting with my TiVo.

·
I'm Feeling Blue
303 Posts
See Smart Home and TiVo-Alexa How To:

Alexa can do many of the things you usually do with your TiVo remote.

Alexa commands
Here are some things you can try:

• "Alexa, pause"
  • "Alexa, fast forward." To fast forward at higher speeds, say "Alexa fast forward again."
  • "Alexa, previous" is like pressing the Instant Replay button (jumps back 8 seconds).
  • "Alexa, skip" or "Alexa, next" will skip a commercial break on SkipMode-enabled shows.
  • "Alexa, change the channel to <channel number>."
  • "Alexa, watch <channel name>" (e.g., CBS or ESPN). You must set up your Zip code in the Alexa app to enable this command. (Go to Settings, choose your device, then verify the Zip code under 'Device Location.')
  • "Alexa, go to Guide."
  • "Alexa, go to Home" opens the TiVo Home screen.
  • "Alexa, launch <app name>." Available apps include Prime Video, Netflix, HBO GO, Hulu, YouTube, iHeartRadio, Pandora, Vudu, MLB.TV, Plex, and more.

Note that commands like "Pause" or "Play" are also used in other Alexa skills (e.g. music skills). To use them, you may need to add "on TiVo" when you issue the command (for example, "Alexa, play on TiVo.")

Unfortunately, no search :( (although at the bottom of the first page linked it does say "More to Come.")

·
I'm Feeling Blue
303 Posts
Working well for me here on Roamio Pro and two Minis. No issues with my Alexa hearing me over the surround sound system. It will be a convenience for me when I'm across the room, in the kitchen, or otherwise away from the remote, but the slight delay in response means it will never replace the remote when I'm sitting in front the television.

·
I'm Feeling Blue
303 Posts
What kind of feedback does it give?
When you change channels it says, "Tuning to ESPN (or whatever) on TiVo." A bit annoying particularly since my Alexa-enabled Sonos Ones tend to be set to a higher volume for music than the standard echo.

I have all my Alexa-enabled devices set to brief mode so that for the vast majority of command, I only hear a soft acknowledgement tone. It doesn't even provide that on play, pause or skip, but that's fine the visual feedback is enough for me.

Not a huge issue as I'm not going to be changing channels constantly via Alexa anyway.

1 - 19 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.