TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
This was my first concern. I was bummed to see the friendly name approach, since it means controlling more than one TiVo would require specifying the TiVo's name in every command:

"Alexa, skip" :)

"Alexa, skip on TiVo Family Room" :(

Ugh. I was hoping the TiVo could be paired with specific echo devices (e.g., if I say "Alexa, skip" in the family room near the dot, then skip on the family room TiVo; if I say the same thing in the master bedroom to the echo spot, then skip on the bedroom's TiVo mini). Unfortunately, reviewing Amazon's API docs, it doesn't look like skills are given any information about which device heard the command... so, TiVo would have no way of knowing where you are when you issue the command. Bummer.

Looks likely we'll only be using this nifty new skill in the family room.
Most people should never encounter this problem. During setup, each Alexa device will be associated with a single TiVo device. In my case, I associated my Echo Show in the kitchen with my family room BOLT. And, I associated my Echo Dot with my bedroom TiVo MINI. At that point, I can just say "Alexa, tune to CBS" in either room and each Echo knows which TiVo to control. The nice thing about using "tune" as your first command is that in my case it grabs focus on the TiVo because there are no other skills that understand the command "tune". If I had been listening to music on the Echo and said "Alexa, pause" it would pause my music. To switch device focus, I would have had to say "Alexa, pause on TiVo" At that point, I can now say "Alexa, play" without needing to add "on TiVo" to the command. This is all handled by the Alexa Video Skills Kit (VSK). Amazon have also completely changed the rules around how long you maintain focus. I believe it is no longer a fixed time, but can retain focus for much longer periods of time if you have not shifted focus to another device.

·
Registered
521 Posts
@TiVo_Ted, yeah, I talked about the video in my earlier post and my fear was that Alexa voice searching wasn't on the roadmap. It's a bit interesting that you signed up as a partner for the new DVR capabilities even though it's not yet on the roadmap . Hopefully, it'd get there at some point.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ironically, we had most of the integration with Alexa done last year and threw it all away when Amazon announced the VSK. After this initial release, I believe the next features coming are Record Show and Playback Show. I'm not sure about the timing for those yet.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks everyone for posting your findings so far. We are keeping an eye on things here as well as looking at phone support calls. Moving from beta testing to production usually uncovers some dynamic issues with load balancing across multiple data centers, etc. Please keep reporting your issues here and I'll try to post updates as I get them.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have an echo and an echo dot. I also have a "smash mute" big tv mute button. I have to use this whenever I want the echo to do anything or else I have to shout loud enough for the echo to understand over the tv. So, I doubt this will replace my 2 well placed tivo remotes.

However, there are a few things I would like to be able to do more easily, and would like for the alexa app. Such things as standby or channel strength test would be nice to do in one command.

But those things could also be setup by a user if there were some sort of macro commands or a bookmark/shortcut ability.

Even better, would be if the tivo worked a bit like my house automation app for the echo.

I have 5 IOT devices (using tp-link smart switches and bulbs) and there's an app called kasa that lets me setup these devices, put them in named groups, setup any combination of device on/off's in a single command and then get the echo to do them. For example, I can say, "Alexa, turn off my devices" and all 5 turn off.

I would hope that the tivo would eventually be able to have an echo app that worked like that. Then one could do lots more things than you can with just a remote.

It's a good start though.
IFTTT

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi everyone, we discovered a couple of Alexa pairing issues today that we are working on:
1. The system that generates pairing codes was using 0 (zero) and O (letter). We're eliminating that.
2. The code checker was case sensitive. If the code was AK123 and you entered ak123, it would fail. We are fixing this.
3. If you have more than one TiVo box on your account that are using the same friendly name (like "Family Room") the system cannot pair. This is even true if you have a box on your account which is no longer active. To test this, try changing the friendly name of your box to "Man Cave", "Kitchen", etc. to see if that fixes things. We are working on a fix for this as well.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I found a few other commands that don't work in addition to "Watch <channel name>".

Alexa, go to Guide." and "Alexa, go to Home" don't do anything either. Saying those commands result in Alexa saying "I'm not sure". Adding "on box name doesn't work either.

Again this may be because I'm using an Echo Show. On the Echo Show "Watch" is already a command as is "go home".

I managed to get "change channel to <channel name>" to work once, but now that too gives a message that it "couldn't find that on Tivo". That or "something went wrong" or "Tivo is having trouble". My zip code is set up correctly.
If you're using an Echo Show or Spot, try "Alexa, change channel to CBS" or "Alexa, tune to CBS". Those both work for me. Echo Show definitely intercepts the watch keyword sometimes, but it's inconsistent.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ok, I think I’ve got an answer for what happened. Our activation server was maxing out at nearly 1,000 activations per hour. We had to restart the virtual machine and lost a few hundred customer account links to Amazon in the process. If you were setup and running, but then things stopped working, can you please try disabling your TiVo connections in the Alexa app, disable & delete the TiVo skill? Then, reinstall the TiVo skill and get a new pairing code from the Alexa app on your TiVo. Sorry for this, but we think everything is back up and working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
521 Posts
P.S. You can see that I’m using an Echo Show. It turns out that Echo devices with screens (Show & Spot) can get confused by the “watch” keyword. Sometimes they want to play the video on their own screen. Need to follow-up with Amazon on that one. If that happens to you too, you can always add “on TiVo” at the end to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.