TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 402 Posts

·
TDL shepherd
17,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Related Info...

STATUS NOTE: FYI... The Alexa skill is currently experiencing a partial outage, per @TiVo_Ted (18May 2:13pm):
FYI, we appear to have a partial outage with Alexa. We are investigating root cause, but account linking and Alexa control is totally unavailable for some customers. I will post more as soon as I know what's happening.
Some appear affected, others not.

-----
edits:
(17May) added "Channels by Name" link; added TiVo pages (h/t @Megamind)
(19May) added TiVo Support FAQ (h/t @tonyquan)

·
Cat God
17,901 Posts
Looked for the app on my Roamio Pro (TE3), but didn’t see it.

Already having a Harmony set up with Alexa, I don’t know how useful, some of the commands will be. I can see jumping to channels and apps being useful, but things like pause, it’s easier to use the remote. Also Alexa works best when other people (like the TV) aren’t talking.

·
I'm Feeling Blue
303 Posts
This is based on the new Alexa Video Skill API and you can get some idea of the potential functionality from that link.

The Video Skill API exposes a variety of functionality including:
  • Searching and playing content
  • Playback controls such as pause and rewind
  • Launching an app or GUI shortcut
  • Recording video content
  • Channel navigation
  • Video catalog ingestion
I'm particularly looking forward to ingesting my video catalog. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looked for the app on my Roamio Pro (TE3), but didn't see it.

Already having a Harmony set up with Alexa, I don't know how useful, some of the commands will be. I can see jumping to channels and apps being useful, but things like pause, it's easier to use the remote. Also Alexa works best when other people (like the TV) aren't talking.
I also have Harmony setup with Alexa. However, the ability to search for, play and record shows is what I'm looking forward to the most. Also, things like "what's on TV" or change to a sports game without knowing the channel would be very helpful e.g. the NBA playoffs.

"Alexa, pause" would be great vs "Alexa, pause {Harmony Activity}". BTW, Harmony should also be able to do just "Alexa, pause" without the activity name and it works fine in my bedroom with Roku. However, for some reason, doesn't work in living room w/ tivo.

Finally, it'd be nice to be able to navigate to channels I haven't set up as favorites in Harmony. I find myself occasionally having to go to such channels and having to search using TiVo for the channel.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Looked for the app on my Roamio Pro (TE3), but didn't see it.

Already having a Harmony set up with Alexa, I don't know how useful, some of the commands will be. I can see jumping to channels and apps being useful, but things like pause, it's easier to use the remote. Also Alexa works best when other people (like the TV) aren't talking.
the app is not launched coming soon

·
Registered
405 Posts
"Alexa, pause" would be great vs "Alexa, pause {Harmony Activity}". BTW, Harmony should also be able to do just "Alexa, pause" without the activity name and it works fine in my bedroom with Roku. However, for some reason, doesn't work in living room w/ tivo.
I believe for pause or play it will be the longer form in most cases. Pause and Play are overloaded for multiple skills (like music). If you recently used a skill like TiVo, Alexa will remember that for something like 5 minutes. Otherwise you will have to say "Alexa play on TiVo".

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
So call me dumb, but does this mean that all you have to do is buy one of these Dot's for $39 and you can tell a TE3 what to do? Their explanation on the Amazon site is not very clearly explained.

Oh, it seems it needs a $29 remote...?

1 - 20 of 402 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.