TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
1,642 Posts
the SDR to HDR setting to off is awsome, I did that a long time ago to my airtv mini and all my old stuff looks so much better on my HDR compatible Samsung. On the tivo 4k It does not matter, since the HW acceleration and de-interlacing is broken for mpeg2

·
Registered
405 Posts
Honestly, I don't think they are actually using Dolby Vision here and the reason we can't mess with it is that the implementation isn't working properly. On a SDR TV, disabling Dolby Vision actually makes the picture better, colors get less saturated the moment you use the hidden menu item to turn it off. Furthermore, like, how is it even working? Why does the picture even change? How? Are you just saying Dolby Vision is a software thing now? What's up with this?

DOLBY VISION SHOULD NOT EVEN BE AN OPTION ON A NON-DOLBY VISION TV!

There's something really screwy going on with HDR related stuff on the Stream...and to me it's almost like they are forcing Dolby Vision because Dolby Vision isn't actually working properly so it's better to show it "on" without the option to disable to satisfy the advertising. It's not an automatically detected thing, that's for freaking sure.

I bet you this thing was partly rushed out the door to try and save it from the impending launch/announcement of the Google Android TV device. If they waited later, people would just use the Google device as it's rumored to basically eat Tivo's lunch in this arena. They probably figured it was better to get SOME marketshare on a product they were developing vs waiting until Google's offering gives consumers no reason to purchase the Tivo version. Undercut everyone for a month on price, hope people buy it, work out the bugs (if they care enough).

If Tivo can RAPIDLY fix the bugs, and actually bring the Tivo "experience" fully to this device they can compete. If they don't, it's a DOA product.
I'm starting to think the same thing. I just got my TS4Ks today finally. After hooking one up and it detecting my Dolby Vision capable display, it shows that it's on, but when I compare it to my AppleTV forced to Dolby Vision it's not even close to the quality I get with that. It doesn't even look like what it's supposed to being converted to DV. It looks like a horrible rendition of SDR. No wonder you guys don't like it being forced on. With the AppleTV it's a completely different story.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Here's a quick rundown of how to access the hidden menus in com.droidlogic.tv (the app that is the the "More" menu on the Stream 4k). You'll need to enable Android's Developer Mode to do this. They seem to do stuff, but your results may vary. Might fix issues others are having with random wake ups, HDR, other stuff.
  1. Enable Developer Mode by going to Device Preferences --> About --> Build and click it a few times until it tells you that you are a "Developer".
  2. Then go to Device Preferences --> Developer Options--> USB Debugging and enable this option.
  3. Go to Network & Internet --> Available Networks and click your connected WiFi network to see what your Stream's IP address currently is.
  4. Download and install adblink
  5. In adblink enter your Stream's IP address in the "Ad Hoc IP" field.
  6. Click "Connect". You'll be prompted to accept the connection on the Stream itself - accept it and also remember the device if prompted.
  7. Once adblink reports that you are connected click "ADB Shell"
  8. Copy and paste the following commands in the terminal window to launch the associated menu item on the Stream itself:

CEC Settings
am start -n com.droidlogic.tv.settings/com.droidlogic.tv.settings.HdmiCecActivity

HDMI Self Adaptation/Refresh Rate Switching
am start -n com.droidlogic.tv.settings/com.droidlogic.tv.settings.PlaybackActivity

Dolby Vision On/Off
am start -n com.droidlogic.tv.settings/com.droidlogic.tv.settings.display.dolbyvision.DolbyVisionSettingActivity

Dolby Vision Graphics/Video Priority
am start -n com.droidlogic.tv.settings/com.droidlogic.tv.settings.display.dolbyvision.GraphicsPrioritySettingActivity

HDR to SDR
am start -n com.droidlogic.tv.settings/com.droidlogic.tv.settings.display.hdr.HdrSettingActivity

SDR to HDR
am start -n com.droidlogic.tv.settings/com.droidlogic.tv.settings.display.sdr.SdrSettingActivity

View attachment 48967 View attachment 48968 View attachment 48969 View attachment 48970
To be perfectly honest, you are my hero as of this moment. The CEC was causing me to pull the 4K from my system.

Well, though you are still in my mind a hero, unfortunately, turning off CeC on the Stream through the Developer Options disables any sound to be sent via my Samsung TV to my Sonos Beam via the hdmi/arc. Tivo is just going to have to fix their CeC issue before I can have the Stream in my system.

·
UHD Addict
24,177 Posts
I'll def have to try some of these! Will any of these allow auto switching to/from Dolby Vision? The FireTV 4k stick was delivered set to all DV all the time, but was able to be changed to only engage DV for DV content.

In general I'm disappointed in the lack of access to the native Android TV settings - so many of them show up on the Stream, but are grayed out in the menu :-( Guess I'm spoiled by my Shield TV, which is almost pure native Android TV...
i remember having to return my first FireTV 4k stick since it wasn't close to ready for prime time. But a couple months later they had fixed many things. Now I own three of the Fire Tv 4K sticks. I hope TiVo doesn't take that long because the price is a promotion. And will go up to $70. With the FireTv Stick 4K I actually paid less when I bought them a few months later.

Reactions: Where As

·
UHD Addict
24,177 Posts
I'm starting to think the same thing. I just got my TS4Ks today finally. After hooking one up and it detecting my Dolby Vision capable display, it shows that it's on, but when I compare it to my AppleTV forced to Dolby Vision it's not even close to the quality I get with that. It doesn't even look like what it's supposed to being converted to DV. It looks like a horrible rendition of SDR. No wonder you guys don't like it being forced on. With the AppleTV it's a completely different story.
My two ATV 4K boxes look just as bad with forced DV or HDR10. Plus it's still way too bright.
I don't like any device using forced HDR. i was so glad when apple fixed their forced HDr issue. I then bought a second one. But with all my other streaming devices, my ATV 4K boxes are my least used streamers. But then I'm not an Apple person anyway. But some things have only been in HDR or Atmos on the ATv 4K. Which is the reason I first purchased one.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I found this on Zatz's site from user HarperVision regarding what appears to be the reasons why this is happening:

https://zatznotfunny.com/2020-05/tivo-stream-4k-issues/#comment-95552

"I've found that you need to disable Dolby Vision and make HDR the priority in the Android TV Settings menu and then your colors and picture will look correct, and in my case at least, better than the SDR version.

They messed up Dolby Vision somehow internally so it doesn't display properly. It appears that it doesn't support the Sony version of Dolby Vision, Profile 5 Low Latency Dolby Vision (LLDV). I have confirmed this with an HDFury Vertex2. When I force an EDID that uses LLDV exclusively such as the Sony A1 OLED, I get the dull lifeless image you describe and the Vertex2 reports no Dolby Vision being input, even though the Stream 4K says it's outputting DV. As soon as I select an EDID that supports the original RGB 8 bit Dolby Vision Version only, the LG C7 OLED, then the Vertex2 reports receiving that signal at its input and the image gets all pink and overblown, which is correct since my display doesn't support that version of DV and is supposed to appear that way when receiving this type of signal.

This is the same issue (lack of Sony profile 5/LLDV support) I saw with the TiVo Edge, causing me to return it."

·
Registered
405 Posts
I really don’t really understand this compliant with DV/HDR always on. I watched Chris Wallace this morning on my OLED in Dolby Vision and everything seemed to be converted and mapped correctly and the picture looked great. None of the colors or brightness are overblown here. Maybe when it’s only converted to HDR and not Dolby Vision is what your issue is, idk.

I do agree there should be the choice at least though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1st thanks so much for sharing this pfcfast2. I've successfully followed your instuctions to use adbLink. However I'm not getting the results I was hoping for. I have an LG 4K TV with Dolby Vision. I've been using YouTube to test. I turned SDR to HDR off but no matter the stream always converts HD stuff to HDR or Dolby Vision. Is this what others are seeing? I tested with the Black Widow trailer which says it's Dolby Vision and that looks good. But I don't want things getting converted as everything I've read says that results in worse picture.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm building an app that kinda allows you to access all this stuff via the Stream itself and do some other stuff. It will remove the requirement for developer mode and things. I think it's the best way to do this, and can just be downloaded from the Play Store vs having to do all the steps manually.
There is no need to do the any steps manually or even mess around with ADB.

After seeing your findings (thanks for the initial clues!), I just downloaded an Android shortcut manager like this one. Once installed (need to sideload app), you have to launch it from settings->apps->all apps.

Scroll down to "Droid Settings" and you will find all the shortcuts you listed on the first post. Unfortunately, you can't pin these shortcuts directly to the home screen on this version of Android (I just get an error when I try from the context menu (long press in Activity Manager)).

Another problem here is that settings like disabling the broken Dolby Vision (which causes washed out colors / raised blacks even on an SDR TV) revert back to their original value when you power off the TV. Possibly will also happen on any HDMI handshake.

In its current state, this device is simply unusable to anyone who cares about picture quality. Tivo needs to find more qualified testers and/or developers before they release this type of product in the future. (if any employees are reading this, please send me a private message).

When I have more time, I will do a more in-depth analysis of the video output using my HDMI analysis hardware similar to what I did many years ago when Tivo broke interlaced output on one of the software updates.

Edit: Had some time to analyze the video output of this device. See the other thread.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I can't even find the device setting on this damned thing. I can find the TiVo App settings and GooglePlay settings, but I cannot get it to bring up network settings or other device settings. Never seen such an opaque product in my life.

Edited to add: Had to shut it off and boot back up to get to the main menu. Only way I could find.

·
Legend
380 Posts
I can't even find the device setting on this damned thing. I can find the TiVo App settings and GooglePlay settings, but I cannot get it to bring up network settings or other device settings. Never seen such an opaque product in my life.

Edited to add: Had to shut it off and boot back up to get to the main menu. Only way I could find.
It's the gear icon, top right corner on home screen...

·
Super Moderator
59,673 Posts

The home button is the little circle below the back button

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's the gear icon, top right corner on home screen...
Yeah -that screen had disappeared and i only had access to the TiVo app and the google apps listing page (press and hold Google App button), not the main page accessed through the remote. When I just that that button, I got nothing but a black screen and sleep mode on the TV (closest thing to turning off before disabling CEC). Had to power cycle to get it back. I've turned off CEC now and it's working much better. Very helpful thread!

·
Registered
195 Posts
There is no need to do the any steps manually or even mess around with ADB.

After seeing your findings (thanks for the initial clues!), I just downloaded an Android shortcut manager like this one. Once installed, you have to launch it from settings->apps->all apps.

Scroll down to "Droid Settings" and you will find all the shortcuts you listed on the first post. Unfortunately, you can't pin these shortcuts directly to the home screen on this version of Android (I just get an error when I try from the context menu (long press in Activity Manager)).

Another problem here is that settings like disabling the broken Dolby Vision (which causes washed out colors / raised blacks even on an SDR TV) revert back to their original value when you power off the TV. Possibly will also happen on any HDMI handshake.

In its current state, this device is simply unusable to anyone who cares about picture quality. Tivo needs to find more qualified testers and/or developers before they release this type of product in the future. (if any employees are reading this, please send me a private message).

When I have more time, I will do a more in-depth analysis of the video output using my HDMI analysis hardware similar to what I did many years ago when Tivo broke interlaced output on one of the software updates.

Edit: Had some time to analyze the video output of this device. See the other thread.
I have that Android shortcut manager on my phone and don't see the app in the play store on the stream. Did you have to sideload?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.