TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Honestly, I don't think they are actually using Dolby Vision here and the reason we can't mess with it is that the implementation isn't working properly. On a SDR TV, disabling Dolby Vision actually makes the picture better, colors get less saturated the moment you use the hidden menu item to turn it off. Furthermore, like, how is it even working? Why does the picture even change? How? Are you just saying Dolby Vision is a software thing now? What's up with this?

DOLBY VISION SHOULD NOT EVEN BE AN OPTION ON A NON-DOLBY VISION TV!

There's something really screwy going on with HDR related stuff on the Stream...and to me it's almost like they are forcing Dolby Vision because Dolby Vision isn't actually working properly so it's better to show it "on" without the option to disable to satisfy the advertising. It's not an automatically detected thing, that's for freaking sure.

I bet you this thing was partly rushed out the door to try and save it from the impending launch/announcement of the Google Android TV device. If they waited later, people would just use the Google device as it's rumored to basically eat Tivo's lunch in this arena. They probably figured it was better to get SOME marketshare on a product they were developing vs waiting until Google's offering gives consumers no reason to purchase the Tivo version. Undercut everyone for a month on price, hope people buy it, work out the bugs (if they care enough).

If Tivo can RAPIDLY fix the bugs, and actually bring the Tivo "experience" fully to this device they can compete. If they don't, it's a DOA product.
I'm starting to think the same thing. I just got my TS4Ks today finally. After hooking one up and it detecting my Dolby Vision capable display, it shows that it's on, but when I compare it to my AppleTV forced to Dolby Vision it's not even close to the quality I get with that. It doesn't even look like what it's supposed to being converted to DV. It looks like a horrible rendition of SDR. No wonder you guys don't like it being forced on. With the AppleTV it's a completely different story.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm starting to think the same thing. I just got my TS4Ks today finally. After hooking one up and it detecting my Dolby Vision capable display, it shows that it's on, but when I compare it to my AppleTV forced to Dolby Vision it's not even close to the quality I get with that. It doesn't even look like what it's supposed to being converted to DV. It looks like a horrible rendition of SDR. No wonder you guys don't like it being forced on. With the AppleTV it's a completely different story.
I found this on Zatz's site from user HarperVision regarding what appears to be the reasons why this is happening:

https://zatznotfunny.com/2020-05/tivo-stream-4k-issues/#comment-95552

"I've found that you need to disable Dolby Vision and make HDR the priority in the Android TV Settings menu and then your colors and picture will look correct, and in my case at least, better than the SDR version.

They messed up Dolby Vision somehow internally so it doesn't display properly. It appears that it doesn't support the Sony version of Dolby Vision, Profile 5 Low Latency Dolby Vision (LLDV). I have confirmed this with an HDFury Vertex2. When I force an EDID that uses LLDV exclusively such as the Sony A1 OLED, I get the dull lifeless image you describe and the Vertex2 reports no Dolby Vision being input, even though the Stream 4K says it's outputting DV. As soon as I select an EDID that supports the original RGB 8 bit Dolby Vision Version only, the LG C7 OLED, then the Vertex2 reports receiving that signal at its input and the image gets all pink and overblown, which is correct since my display doesn't support that version of DV and is supposed to appear that way when receiving this type of signal.

This is the same issue (lack of Sony profile 5/LLDV support) I saw with the TiVo Edge, causing me to return it."

·
Registered
405 Posts
I really don’t really understand this compliant with DV/HDR always on. I watched Chris Wallace this morning on my OLED in Dolby Vision and everything seemed to be converted and mapped correctly and the picture looked great. None of the colors or brightness are overblown here. Maybe when it’s only converted to HDR and not Dolby Vision is what your issue is, idk.

I do agree there should be the choice at least though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.