TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my better half on-board with HDTV. We're currently using two DirecTiVos (lifetime sub) on an old 35" analog screen. We started with one DirecTiVo, but found we couldn't share 107 hours of recording time. We can't get HD off the dish without moving or cutting down trees. Plus, I've yet to hear much good about the HD DirecTiVo.

I see that the new DirecTV10 satellite is due to begin operations in September, and will occupy the 103°W slot. I know this isn't the DirecTiVo forum, but does anyone know if a round dish pointed at 101°W will get the 103°W signal? It's part of my whole dilemma, but I'll ask over there if need be.

My plan had been to wait for HDTV 1080 screen prices to get reasonable, then buy a couple of Series 3 HDTiVos and upgrade their storage. I'd switch to Comcast cable (the only alternative here--FIOS is internet-only) and drop DirecTV.

Now, with all the SDV talk here, I'm stuck not knowing what to do. I don't want to spend $1500 on two new TiVos and upgrades that may be partially obsolete when I buy them, and which will grow more obsolete over the next three years or so. But I also can't see settling for the feature-challenged Comcast DVR.

It seems like I have no options until this SDV thing is settled and TiVo (hopefully) releases a bidirectional, HD-compatible device. Have I got that about right?

Is there any way I can get HDTV now, and TiVo too, without throwing away money on a temporary setup?

Thanks!

-T

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Justin Thyme said:
Except it really is Tivo lite. No internet IPTV, no transfering video to laptops or ipods, no multi room viewing, no Yahoo features, no upgrading your machine up to to 2 Terabytes. No playing video from P2P networks.

But otherwise- just the same.

So there will be plenty to step up to when moving to a standalone Tivo.
The only item I care about in that list is upgrading the storage. You said 2T is out... Can I get it to 750G or 1T? Where can I go to find this out? I'll be checking out dbstalk.com based on another discussion in another section--any others you'd recommend?

Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.