TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· VM Tivo User
6,102 Posts
rondun said:
My only experience with tivo was in the US last year (where it seems everybody gets given one at birth - they've all got them)
A new Govt. scheme; get a Tivo or £250 in the bank for your first child. :D

I know UK tivo's are different, but they must be as intuitive, surely.
The US Series 1s are the same as ours, although I'm pretty sure that the basic functionality/screens of the later models won't have changed that much, surely?

Since she mainly records on LP I think the quality issue won't be a problem. Basic quality on the tivo might even be a slight improvement on video LP?
I would use MEDIUM quality over BASIC, even on a standard unit; though, to answer your question, yes, I think BASIC quality compares quite favourably with that of a VCR on LP.

I might use higher quality to record a movie - does best or high give a marked improvement in sound if you intend to listen through a surround amp, for example?
The QUALITY setting makes absolutely no difference to the audio; which is encoded at the same rate regarless.

· VM Tivo User
6,102 Posts
doubledrat said:
it does take a VERY long time, can't remember exactly how long though
It's because you have Sky. Even if it's just the FTA channels, Tivo still has to download and process all available data and as there's so many channels it can take a while :)

not sure if there's a backdoor or anything that can change it too
Not that I know of.

rondun said:
PS - My Mother's first impressions: Deeply upset that Tivo had to phone home and hadn't spoken to anybody in over a month!
LOL :D You're not Jewish are you?

(No offence. Was thinking of the old BT ads with Ms. Lipman ;))

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.