TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

· 4 8 15 16 23 42
13,634 Posts
I finally gave this show a chance after seeing people going nuts over it in this thread. After a single episode my wife wanted to bail, but we watched four.

Does it get any better? I understand the point behind the show, and my wife is frustrated for the right reasons (not the humor, the situation they're all working under). That said, it seems like they're trying REALLY hard to be The Office. The clueless boss, the character archetypes, a boyfriend who isn't treating the girl right with the flipped-on-its-head of who has a crush on whom.

It might get better, I just have a hard time being required to watch an entire season of a show before it gets good.

Or maybe it's just not for me. :)

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Yeah, for me it's kind of a cross between The Office and a sprinkling of Parks & Recreation. Not as laugh-out-loud funny as either of those shows, but it does have its moments. I enjoy almost all of the characters, with the exception being the principal Ava even though they've toned her obnoxiousness down from a 9.5 to like a 7.4 out of 10.

It has somewhat improved over the course of its run. I wouldn't say it made a quantum leap like The Office (US) did between Season 1 and 2.

· Registered
12,707 Posts
I finally gave this show a chance after seeing people going nuts over it in this thread. After a single episode my wife wanted to bail, but we watched four.

Does it get any better? I understand the point behind the show, and my wife is frustrated for the right reasons (not the humor, the situation they're all working under). That said, it seems like they're trying REALLY hard to be The Office. The clueless boss, the character archetypes, a boyfriend who isn't treating the girl right with the flipped-on-its-head of who has a crush on whom.

It might get better, I just have a hard time being required to watch an entire season of a show before it gets good.

Wow. Comparing Ava to Michael Scott is so far off. Michael had a good heart. He was just clueless by accident. Ava is arrogant and wants to be clueless about things around her. Michael loved his office and his job. Ava sees herself as above it all and treats it like a scam.

So, no, you don’t get the show. It isn’t for you.

· Registered
4,310 Posts
Thank you.

When I see it compared to "The Office" I can understand why it's not working for me. At the same time, I've really liked Steve Carell in movies.

Sheryl Lee Ralph is what will keep me coming back, but Ava just isn't my kind of character.

· Registered
4,310 Posts
I chose the episode I watched last night based on the summary. When I was in first grade with had out bathroom right in the classroom, like Barbara. I don't understand how that happened if they were all doing the less time-consuming activity. The more time-consuming activity would have resulted in longer waits.

My next one will be the one where the principal actually tries teaching.

· Registered
4,310 Posts
Well, that one was worth seeing. She did pretty much what I expected and then had to give in and actually start doing what she was told.

She asked if anyone else was going to attempt to be principal and the look on Mr. Eddie's face reminded us that is actually his goal.

I hadn't realized her last name was Coleman but that's the name of one of the writers.

· Registered
4,310 Posts
I've still got two hours to go but so far I have seen Tyler, Quinta and the show win Golden Globes. I was surprised at how far it went over but I record the 11:00 news on the NBC affiliate anyway. So I watched the ending to make sure.

It was clear how good Tyler was when he played young Chris Rock on "Everybody Hates Chris".

· Registered
4,310 Posts
Sheryl Lee and Janelle lost in their categories. I would say blame the fact they had to compete with dramatic actors but Tyler still won.

· Excellent.
23,877 Posts
Orlando Jones is perfect as Tyler James Williams’ dad.
I thought so, too. Great casting. And I liked the subversion of expectations (uh, SPOILERS FOR S02E12 "Fight" OAD 1/12/2023 FROM HERE) in setting us up to think he's here to disapprove of Gregory when it turns out to be exactly the opposite. I kept waiting for him to become the bad dad and he never did. That was cool.

I guess I haven't posted about the show since I was getting caught up on it in the back half of season one. At the time, I was enjoying it and saw all the potential, but had expected maybe a half-step higher from it based on the accolades it had gotten to that point. But it had definitely grown from the pilot to where I was at that point, and again, I liked it. I thought season one wound up really taking off from there, with the the season finale being the apex of what the show could be and was capable of. That episode was funny, warm, a little sad, and displayed the show having great empathy for all its characters with the humor coming from them and not at their expense. Great bit of television.

I think season two has not quite been at that level, at least not consistently, but overall the show is confident and playing to its many strengths. Certainly worthy of the praise it has continued to get. I'm glad I picked it up and that it's doing what it's doing.

Or almost of all of what it is doing. If I have two complaints, they are these:
  1. It is way too reliant on plots where Janine gets an idea that everyone tells her is bad, and that she pursues anyway, and that turns out to be bad. They did yet another one of these just in this week's episode (S02E12, referenced above). At least in this one she finally acknowledged that she chases too many ideas that only make situations worse. I don't know that I believe she will learn anything from that acknowledgment though. I'd guess we'll get another one of these plots within the next few episodes.
  2. It needs to ditch the mockumentary conceit. Not the shooting style, or the to-camera confessionals, or even the constant expressions of disbelief into the lens (which everyone is very funny at, but is overused). Audiences are accustomed enough to all those things that we can accept them as a show format without pretending there is a documentary camera crew there. Unfortunately, the show actually acknowledges those "people" from time to time -- they even featured into a plot line in one episode -- but it is wholly unrealistic that they are there. Scenes have coverage and multiple angles and other shooting artifacts of single-camera comedy that just wouldn't be there in a real documentary setting. And cameras are positioned where they never would be. In that one episode where Janine was home sick, there was a camera already in her bathroom as she walked into it, and she even asked them not to shoot that part. I guess it's one of those suspension of disbelief things that I just can't actually achieve, because they make it so hard to. All they really need to do is just never pretend again that there are cameras there, and I'll be happy.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts