TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
I know a young teacher just like the one in this show. Very infectious spirit. My friend is a more experienced teacher so not as naive but she just makes things happen she thinks need to be or she does them herself

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,357 Posts
Slightly hyperbolic article (at least the headline). I wouldn't give it credit for "reviving the Network sitcom". Heck, Ghosts has a stronger demo and three times as many viewers. During January, before the Borlympics wiped out February TV, there were half a dozen sitcoms with better demos and more eyeballs--Neighborhood, Young Sheldon, even B Positive had more viewers.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
This is a painful show to watch but I'll keep what I have recorded and watch eventually.

The one good scene in the episode I watched was where the really good teacher said her children didn't know they were poor and she was going to teach them as if they could accomplish anything they wanted. And if she didn't get everything she needed to do it, she was going to try.

·
Premium Member
12,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Painful? I find the show joyous.
True. I was talking about it with a friend yesterday. Every single character is a joy to watch — including the janitor.

Maybe the pain is associated with seeing the limited funding those schools receive. Yeah, I get that.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
True. I was talking about it with a friend yesterday. Every single character is a joy to watch — including the janitor.

Maybe the pain is associated with seeing the limited funding those schools receive. Yeah, I get that.
I think one has to like the characters.

Even the guy who was Chris Rock on "Everybody Hates Chris" isn't doing anything for me.

·
Meh.
40,803 Posts
Not every show is for everybody but this show was definitely up my alley and was reminiscent of my neighborhood and schooling 50-some odd years ago. I went to Catholic grade schools but I assume that the efforts and frustrations of the teachers were basically the same as were depicted in the show.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I can identify with Mrs. Howard. She has trouble with new technology and it was hard for me to watch her have trouble, which surprised me because I couldn't stand her to begin with. She's become more likable in the past couple of episodes and that little kid reading Michelle Obama was funny.

It really surprised me to see her admit to lying, too. I didn't see it as lying but just submitting SOMETHING.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Still didn't like the episode, did find Courtney entertaining. That's the girl who was disruptive who was moved to another grade so she would be challenged.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I couldn't stand the art teacher or her views, but eventually everyone else despised her too.

They actually made Melissa likable. For about five minutes.

Mrs. Howard is easier to like as well, and the garden was a nice idea.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Four members of the cast were on "Celebrity Family Feud" last night. Also part of the team was Ms. Abbott, the sixth grade teacher of the show's creator and the source of the name. That was a nice gesture.

·
Registered
25,602 Posts
In case you missed it, Celebrity Family Feud eventually reruns on BET, though maybe it'll be after the full season airs.. I set most of my OPs to all channels, and ended up catching some eps I had recorded previously and downloaded off my tivo to make space.. so just ended up watching the new recordings. (They were old enough that it was before I knew about the Quickmode backdoor to speed it way up.. I watch CFF at 1.7 or 1.9x)

As for Abbott Elementary, this is definitely a "feel good" show. Light, entertaining, not "hilarious" though.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
It doesn't make me feel good.

I don't like pizza or bacon.

Tyler has a great voice but I miss his nerd character on "Whiskey Cavalier". I miss "Whiskey Cavalier", period.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts