TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

929 Posts
rlcarr said:
And yes, it's true that even a 802.11b at theoretical max can outrun USB1.1, I (like many) don't get near theoretical max due to signal strength, encryption, etc. So while 802.11g won't be massively faster, it'll still be faster.
I thought that USB1.1 was 12Mbs (and this rate was achieved in practice), and 802.11b was 11Mbs (but the effective rate was more like 5-6Mbs), so 11g would effectively double the throughput to 12Mbs. I got the D-link adapter, and it seems to be somewhat faster than the WUSB11 (MRV slightly faster than real time at HIGH quality), but not the doubling that people who use the bridge technique get. It was kind of disconcerting when plugging in the D-Link and the TiVo spontaneously reboots! Or when it went from "Almost there" back to the initial boot screen once. The D-link driver seems to do evil things to the Linux system when installing itself. And yes, TiVoBill warned us that the 11g adapters would not do as well as the bridge technique. The 11g drivers they are using must be REAL dogs compared to the drivers for the wired adapters.

929 Posts
TiVoBill said:
Your performance may vary, but our tests did not find significant difference in the transfer speeds achieved with 802.11b and 802.11g adapters in the current software release.
Just wondering if this lack of speed increase is considered a "bug" which is being worked on for a future update, or is the 11g support solely to address the decreasing availability of the "old" 11b adapters. Unlike the Tivo2Go transfer rate problem, the MRV wired vs. wireless transfer rate issue seems to be in the network code somewhere (drivers and such).

929 Posts
TiVoBill said:
Some forum users reported problems with that adapter (slowness in interface, rebooting), so we we updated the compatible adapter list. A coupe of other people have said it worked for them, but not sure I would chance it.
You can add me to the list of people for whom the D-Link DWL-G120 (B1 version) bombed. Took multiple reboots to get it to recognize it; disconnecting it resulted in a reboot every time, and finally it stopped working (in mid-transfer) altogether, and nothing I did would get the TiVo (model 240, 7.1a) to recognize it again. I finally gave up on wireless and risked spousal wrath (and got some) by getting a wired USB adapter and running a CAT-5 cable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.