TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a 5 LNB dish installed next week. Does that dish have 5 coax lines coming out of it? Just wanting to know so I can add more drops into my new room.

thanks,

·
DJT0M0.
4,502 Posts
It still has a 4 out multi switch if I recall corectly from the installing video.
Right now they are making a special 4X8 Multiswitch that can handle the frequency range of the new Ka band. Honestly, I'd just let the installer take care of it so they can include the multi switch, and go through the *MUCH* more complicated install.

There are some installation videos at www.solidsignal.com.

·
Just hangin'
30,958 Posts
And the additional multiswitch being used is another version of the 6x8 to allow for Ka frequencies. It has the flex ports for the 72.5 and 95 sats if needed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So is the new dish / new multiswitch like an oval phase III dish + 72.5 + 95?

If not, what is it that makes the new dish and multiswitch different from phase III ?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The 5LNB dish adds 2 LNBs to pick up the 99 and 103 satellite positions in the Ka band. It also needs to be larger to handle Ka band signals effectively. It stacks those signals below and above the old frequency range. The WB68 multiswitch is equipped to handle that increased range. The ranges may be seen on a prototype WB68 at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=44310

·
Registered
4 Posts
ebonovic said:
It has 4 drops...

However, you can no longer DIPLEX an OTA signal into the line.
Uh.....that's bad.

Any idea why this is the case?

I have OTA's diplexed in to two other receivers in the house and they need that signal.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The Ka band signal from the 99 position occupies the 250-750MHz band. That overlaps practically the entire UHF band.

·
Registered
4 Posts
greywolf said:
The Ka band signal from the 99 position occupies the 250-750MHz band. That overlaps practically the entire UHF band.
Okay.

For the non-HD runs (2 in the house), I should be able to diplex them to get the OTA
since I don't care about the Ka band signal with respect to those receivers, right?

Oh. Wait a second.

Are you saying that the Ka band signal will stomp over the OTA signal when diplexed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
stupid question time (as if it weren't already).

when does sat 99 go active?

what's targeted to be on sat 99?

Ok - so that's two questions....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Once a 5 LNB is required for service, for example to get my HD locals.

DirecTV said they will send out a installer.

If it is determined a 5 LNB will not get line of site to all the satellites

Is there a charge even though the dish could not be installed?

Will current contract still be enforced even through they can not provide full service?

·
has gone his way...
11,164 Posts
racer_81 said:
stupid question time (as if it weren't already).

when does sat 99 go active?

what's targeted to be on sat 99?

Ok - so that's two questions....
Not sure when it actually is planned to go active...
Anything... but primarily HD content (they can use any of their "slots" for any content they want, but I believe it is just HD)

·
Registered
130 Posts
JimSpence said:
And the additional multiswitch being used is another version of the 6x8 to allow for Ka frequencies. It has the flex ports for the 72.5 and 95 sats if needed.
So, I assume a 2nd dish would be needed to receive these two slots?

·
TechKnow Guide
12,027 Posts
glen4cindy said:
So, I assume a 2nd dish would be needed to receive these two slots?
Correct. The Zinwell WB68 multiswitch has two extra inputs, one for the 72.5-deg satellite dish/LNB and one for the 95-deg satellite dish/LNB.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
So what actually would/does happen if you diplex an OTA signal into the mix? would it completely kill both signals, or you'd only get one?

·
Just hangin'
30,958 Posts
You have to be sure you diplex the OTA onto a line that doesn't have the Ka sat signals as they will interfere with each other. It would be best to just run a separate line for OTA.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the 5 LNB installed a few weeks ago & after arguing with the installer that you could not diplex the OTA antenna he did & none of my OTA channels had a signal, DTV had to send out another installer to fix there mistake & voula all my OTA channels worked... btw this was for a H20 I'm not sure if it would be affected on a SD receiver.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts