TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
I am Groot!
61,659 Posts
Did that happen after the first season? I only saw the first season (of BL), and I didn't get any sense of heavyhanding. But, then I broke my Season Pass, didn't record the next season, fell behind, and didn't get back to it. Are you saying I shouldn't bother?
It got much worse in the second season. Subtext became text.

Actually, I started the third season, but it got even worse there and I quit pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
This kinda reminds me of Black Lightning. A show that had a lot of good qualities, but The Message became so overwhelming that the good qualities were completely lost in all the heavy-handedness.

The difference being that the good qualities of Black Lightning were much better (the good qualities of 4400 are largely theoretical, based more on the original show than this one).

The other difference being Black Lightning took two seasons to lose me. 4400 took two episodes.
I tried one episode of "Black Lightning" when the character appeared in the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" series and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything, seeing as how each episode of the series was an episode of one of the related CW series. I hated the episode and haven't watched the character since unless he appeared with the others.

I'm willing to continue with this series and I'm excited to know more.

There was more humor this week, which is always a positive for me, though there was still cruelty. I especially liked the "texpert" and hope she becomes a regular.

I'm happy that one of the people in charge cares about these people (a Black man) and another one is starting to (a Black woman).

I'm pleased that Shanice's man came to see her and wish the outcome had been better. The daughter's interest is positive.

Two more characters have super powers. I had to quit watching when the pastor started doing his David Copperfield impression and it was explained that was the work of the girl, because it was getting close to midnight. I know, just ten more minutes, but I had gone way past bedtime already.

It's a shame the pastor's father has such an incorrect idea of what a church should be. The father has no problem with making money, and yet he doesn't want a sinner to come in. The pastor isn't perfect either but he seems to be closer to the ideal.

·
I am Groot!
61,659 Posts
It's a shame the pastor's father has such an incorrect idea of what a church should be. The father has no problem with making money, and yet he doesn't want a sinner to come in.
I think his problem isn't that she's a sinner, but that she's not "one of us," and thus not brainwashed to accept the way they do business.

·
Ed Ludwig
382 Posts
They seem to be setting the pastor up as the equivalent of the Billy Campbell character from the original.
Was it Jordan Collier? I thought the same thing.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,169 Posts
Well, after watching the first 2 episodes of the new series, I have to say I'm quite disappointed in the level of idiocy that's consistent in almost every scene. So I went and rewatched the first episode of the original (and may watch a few more since season 1 was just 5 episodes). I can't say I remember just how cheesy the whole first episode starts up. So maybe I have to allow all the idiocy in the remake for a bit longer. :)

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I just cancelled my season pass for this show. I'll watch pretty much anything and try to stick with it long enough to give it a chance to develop the characters and the story, but when I have to say to myself why am I watching this it's time to go. I suffered through the first 8 episodes of American Crime Story about Clinton and Monica Lewinsky and just couldn't take it anymore so I canned that one as well. I have far too many shows taking up my free time that anything that doesn't hold my attention gets the axe. I'm starting to get that way with most of the superhero shows on The CW. Fortunately, Supergirl is coming to an end and Legends of Tomorrow have stopped trying to take themselves seriously and is actually kinda fun now. I am starting to grow somewhat tired of Batwoman, though.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
61,643 Posts
I just cancelled my season pass for this show. I'll watch pretty much anything and try to stick with it long enough to give it a chance to develop the characters and the story, but when I have to say to myself why am I watching this it's time to go. I suffered through the first 8 episodes of American Crime Story about Clinton and Monica Lewinsky and just couldn't take it anymore so I canned that one as well. I have far too many shows taking up my free time that anything that doesn't hold my attention gets the axe. I'm starting to get that way with most of the superhero shows on The CW. Fortunately, Supergirl is coming to an end and Legends of Tomorrow have stopped trying to take themselves seriously and is actually kinda fun now. I am starting to grow somewhat tired of Batwoman, though.
I like the ACS about the Clinton Impeachment, but, this? It's boring and I found myself just wanting to multitask while watching. When I start doing this with older shows I've liked before, I will usually stick with it, but when I'm doing it two episodes in, I'm done. Yeah, the original was kinda cheesy, but it was done 17 years ago, and the types of things on TV that seemed "new" in 2004 seems so cheesy now. Too many other things to watch. Maybe I'll check the thread here from time to time to see if it got better and maybe go back and binge.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I think I've turned the corner. I've gone from "new show interest" to "oh come on, this is BS" to "enough's enough" to hate-watching.

Reactions: Steveknj

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I'm continuing to enjoy it. There's lots of humor to go with the serious stuff.

The shallow party girl actually has much more substance, as was proven this week. It wasn't her. It was her mother that made her like that. She wanted to show her intelligence. And she was intelligent! She needs to spend time with that "texpert", who I still like. And they made good use of her skills, even if the other guy wanted to be honest about how people were being treated.

I took COBOL in college and recognized it immediately. I'm not really sure how they thought that would help me, and in the real world, I know less about how to actually use computers than the average child. But I know how to write a COBOL program!

It was nice that Shanice's daughter got to meet her. She overreacted to Shanice's comments. Yes, Shanice claimed she didn't write the letter. What she meant was she didn't send it. Also, Shanice is not her "mom". The girl has a mom, who is actually her stepmom, and Shanice like any other biological mother who is unfamiliar to the child, has to earn such a title.

I loved it when the woman who heals fast said she was not doing work for free when she was being held prisoner. I knew what she meant.

The gay man is actually transgender. I found the exchange between him and the doctor quite interesting. And the doctor has a LOT to learn.

And we have two more people with superpowers.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,169 Posts
... that a city official appears in charge instead of federal-level officials ...

Well, that's barely the tip of all the stupidity on this show. But that's an egregious one.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
... that a city official appears in charge instead of federal-level officials ...

Well, that's barely the tip of all the stupidity on this show. But that's an egregious one.
Agree. That comes back to my observation that there's no way this would be handled the way it is. DHS, FBI, etc would be all over this. It would be huge.

And that's part of why I have trouble accepting this show "as-is". It's just so glaring. It keeps throwing me out of the moment when a social worker is the lead contact.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
One of the guards seems nice.

This week we saw the previous life of Dr. Andre. Did I get his name right?

I liked the "Grey's Anatomy" joke. I've only watched the show a couple of times but I get the general idea.

Mildred seems like a strange name for a girl who grew up when things were "groovy". That was my grandmother's name. And the name of two nursing home residents who went to my church when they still could. Still, I like the girl.

The doctor made a big mess. What's going to happen now?

I enjoyed the visit with the older woman and while I have little interest in Beyonce, I liked how Shanice thought she was still with Destiny's Child. And of course the other woman is completely clueless about what's going on now. I did like the music that the older woman was playing. The woman who stayed outside was looking just at the wrong moment. Does she suspect something?

Our influencer/computer expert is going to get to the bottom of things. My COBOL textbook was paperback but I suppose there were hardback ones too. Amazing that the library had it. Meanwhile, Our friend "texpert" was taken away. What a shame.

The pastor's son is gay and proud, and his father is surprisingly closed-minded about it. Meanwhile, the pastor's father has taken advantage of his son's "death" to make himself richer.

I missed the end because it was getting late. I'll see it tonight.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The pastor's son is gay and proud, and his father is surprisingly closed-minded about it.
I was a little surprised by this. Have we seen anything to lead us to believe he's homophobic? He felt so morally offended by his dad's greed, I though he was "enlightened".

What year did he come from?

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,106 Posts
Isaiah was taken sometime in the 1990's. I wan't surprised at his reaction coming from a very religious background in the 1990's. Just because he doesn't agree with prosperity Christianity and/or greedy mega-pastors, doesn't mean he is socially enlightened by 2020's standards.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I've always thought there was something weird about the doctor. The way he talks made me think he was gay, and yet he seems to be attracted to women. Unless that's just what was acceptable and he doesn't know.

But in the part of the episode I missed by going to bed, he suspects he is like Noah.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I was only halfway through the episode and finishing last night would mean staying up until midnight, so I quit.

So far, Dr. Andre has showed Shanice how to escape, and they saw a very colorful pride celebration. I did like the colors. I was surprised Dr. Andre seemed to understand what it was about, but he is one of the people being celebrated.

Shanice's ex-husband is adamant that she not interact with Mariah, even though Mariah wants to. Her mom seems much more open to a relationship. Yes, the other woman is Mariah's "Mom" since that's a title you earn and is not the result of being related by birth. I hope they can work this out.

I'm not clear on what those two women were doing in a place to eat whose landlord was apparently not letting the business stay there, making it available for the women.

I also don't know what's going on with the kids using sign language. Ordinarily would have said because of the music it was a look back at one of the girls before she became one of the 4400. But even though the song sounded old, I've heard it and it's new.

The man who is sort of in charge of watching over the 4400 has to give up the apartment of someone who was missing, but he doesn't want to.

Our computer expert is back and she is not happy with the woman who released the video. She apparently had a terrible experience before she was released.

And we have a new person from the federal government.

And that's just half the episode!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Well, this is going to be weird. Shanice is going to stay with one of the men in charge.

Claudette seems to be married to Martin Luther King or one of his associates. I doubt she's actually supposed to be Coretta.

Detroit is a beautiful city if you stay out of certain neighborhoods.

I'm still fuzzy on who the deaf girl is but the woman who is in charge seems to have a brother who's visiting the killer of their sister in prison so maybe there's some connection.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
And this week LaDonna, Andre and Hayden broke into the hospital to get Mildred out. That was a fun process, until it wasn't. I hate seeing Mildred get that angry. But LaDonna has the ability to appear to be whoever she wants. The doctor the computer thought she was, though, was not the doctor shown in the credits. Her jacket said Martinez and that's what the credits said, but the computer screen did not.

That was not a chartreuse door. I had a package of Crayola fluorescent crayons. In fact, I believe I still have those crayons. That's the first place I saw that word, and the crayon was more of a yellow. The color of the door was the color of one of the crayons, though. Ultra green. I used to have shoes that color but they were in too bad a shape and had to be thrown out. I am, however, wearing a shirt that color right now.

And we learned Hayden's story.

I was pleased Adam cared enough to help the way he did but he still said both Mariah and Hayden were in trouble.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
And now Andre has powers. These powers are scary.

When he first appeared, though, I thought maybe COVID was making a comeback.

And we finally got to see Claudette before. It's no surprise how her husband treated her, but I agree it was the wrong time to start fighting back. They would have been in way more trouble.

Claudette in the present is amazing. You can't just be a bartender. Oh, wait, she is seriously going to learn all those drinks. She couldn't do it all to start but she could at least serve ordinary drinks. I knew that man who doesn't like the 4400 had no say because he would have fired her on the spot once he found out she was one of them. But all of a sudden, she was back in that earlier time only it wasn't her skin color that was the issue. I was pleased when the man tried to throw everyone out and his boss came in and threw HIM out.

I don't understand why a computer has to be built from scratch not to be connected to the Internet. One upon a time there was no Internet, but people had computes that weren't connected to anything. Can't one buy a computer now and just not connect it?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts