TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to watch, here's a thread to discuss. Anyone watch this yet?

Note that the original was called The 4400 (on USA Network 2004-2007), but this reboot is simply 4400 (on The CW).

I liked the original, especially the first couple of seasons. I thought it started going off the rails towards the end. I certainly give this a try, although I'm not sure we needed a reboot. There's a thread discussing the reboot concept here.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I'm not encouraged that it's on The CW. Isn't that the channel where every character is young and beautiful and bland?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I enjoyed it. I hope I didn't miss anything but I had serious interference problems. It was like I was watching with an antenna.

I don't remember anyone's name except Shanice, but I really enjoyed her storyline and think it's a shame she's being treated so badly. It has been more years than on "Manifest" but there was that note.

One of the people from the present day is compassionate toward these people and that's nice.

I always welcome music from the distant past (did not care for the music at the beginning before Shanice was "taken"). The woman in the green dress who played the piano and sang was my other favorite character. She has super powers (in this case, at the very least healing), which is apparently a requirement for a CW character.

·
I am Groot!
61,648 Posts
I was amused that they remade a show that's so recent they could basically just recycle the original title logo...and it doesn't look dated.
She has super powers (in this case, at the very least healing), which is apparently a requirement for a CW character.
I'm guessing you
didn't see the original series...

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shows like this, and La Brea and so many other TV SF shows, suffer from one huge shortcoming (IMHO). They all operate under the premise the government is able to keep everything under lock and key. That nobody on the outside ever learns anything. Perfectly hush hush. Except maybe one reporter, who mysteriously disappears.

I can handle sinkholes to 10,000 BC. I can accept people reappearing 100 years later. I can handle domes that lock people in. I can't accept that nobody knows about it. That the press never learns a thing. That no one, NO ONE, in authority ever leaks anything. It just puts a twist on most of these shows that makes everything else get questioned.

For once, have a concept, a show, where the world learns everything. Or at least as much as we know (which ain't much). That actually makes it more interesting.

Maybe 4400 will take that road.

As far as the first episode, it was ok. Not A+ material, but it didn't stink.

Reactions: stellie93

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
13,743 Posts
I read an early review that cracked me up that said the budget was so low it should have been called 44, not 4400.

TV shows will have what they call "bottle episodes", where everything happens in one location or on one set in order to save money. Is the entire series a bottle episode? Yes, I know they got outside that one location briefly, but come on.

I think the culture shock was my favorite part.

"Didn't Ruth Bader Ginsberg die, like, last week?"
"Wait... no, she's still on the Supreme Court."
"We don't have women on the Supreme Court."
"You folks just pipe down now while I sit over here in my zoot suit."

It started out, the healing girl took like 5 minutes to heal... then a minute... but she was Claire from Heroes by the end.

This doesn't make me hopeful for Babylon 5.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I think the culture shock was my favorite part.

"Didn't Ruth Bader Ginsberg die, like, last week?"
"Wait... no, she's still on the Supreme Court."
"We don't have women on the Supreme Court."
"You folks just pipe down now while I sit over here in my zoot suit."
I enjoyed that but I didn't follow it. I just wonder if that could have been one of the times there was interference.
It started out, the healing girl took like 5 minutes to heal... then a minute... but she was Claire from Heroes by the end.

This doesn't make me hopeful for Babylon 5.
I was thinking Barry Allen, but whatever.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
61,634 Posts
Don't even know how.
I'm thinking it might be on Peacock since it was originally on USA Network, but not sure.

Saw the first episode, and it was OK. Not great, not horrible. I enjoyed the original for most of it's run. The one thing the original did that this one, so far, hasn't done was clearly show how people were of different eras. The clothes don't even seem so different. The Jazz piano player for example is, I guess, clearly from that era, but the dress she's wearing could be from today. So I really had a hard time pinpointing from what time frame some of the 4400 were from.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The original wasn't bad, much better than this reboot. The first couple seasons were actually pretty good. The last season or two went downhill.

I have two problems. There is no way the press drops this. It would be front page news. Governments can't hide something of this size these days. The show needs to address this, or my suspension of disbelief explodes.

The other is the two people the government has handling this. Again, something of this magnitude, and you have a parole officer and a {I can't even remember what the other one is} in charge? Sorry, there would be FBI, CIA, DHS, BBC, BB King all over this. And they wouldn't be in a hotel. If they wanted them locked up, they'd be at Guantanamo or similar.

And a bonus third problem... I assume there are dozens or hundreds of other groups around the world (4400 people, after all). Are they all locked up? Do the other governments have their act together, or are the returnees running loose? Inquiring minds and all...

The underlying story has potential. But the writers can't ignore the elephants.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,104 Posts
I haven't seen the second episode but in the original series I think all 4400 appeared in one location. They weren't scattered around. They moved in both time AND space and (some of them) appeared far from where they left. It's been a long time but I think in the original they all arrived in the northwest: Seattle IIRC.

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
I really enjoyed the original series, but I'm not sure I'm even going to bother giving this one a try. It currently has a 3.8 rating on IMDB. That doesn't instill much confidence.

·
Time for a new Title
27,669 Posts
I haven't seen the second episode but in the original series I think all 4400 appeared in one location. They weren't scattered around. They moved in both time AND space and (some of them) appeared far from where they left. It's been a long time but I think in the original they all arrived in the northwest: Seattle IIRC.
I haven't watched the new one, but I can confirm that in the old one everybody reappeared in one spot, on the edge of a lake in the NW.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
16,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really enjoyed the original series, but I'm not sure I'm even going to bother giving this one a try. It currently has a 3.8 rating on IMDB. That doesn't instill much confidence.
I think we'll know pretty soon. A show like this either needs to quickly come together, or SP *poof*. As I said above, it's not a bad show, but they need to address a couple huge elephants quickly.

Having said this... it ain't exactly a good show either.

·
I am Groot!
61,648 Posts
This kinda reminds me of Black Lightning. A show that had a lot of good qualities, but The Message became so overwhelming that the good qualities were completely lost in all the heavy-handedness.

The difference being that the good qualities of Black Lightning were much better (the good qualities of 4400 are largely theoretical, based more on the original show than this one).

The other difference being Black Lightning took two seasons to lose me. 4400 took two episodes.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
This kinda reminds me of Black Lightning. A show that had a lot of good qualities, but The Message became so overwhelming that the good qualities were completely lost in all the heavy-handedness.

The difference being that the good qualities of Black Lightning were much better (the good qualities of 4400 are largely theoretical, based more on the original show than this one).

The other difference being Black Lightning took two seasons to lose me. 4400 took two episodes.
Did that happen after the first season? I only saw the first season (of BL), and I didn't get any sense of heavyhanding. But, then I broke my Season Pass, didn't record the next season, fell behind, and didn't get back to it. Are you saying I shouldn't bother?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts