TiVo Community Forum banner

40 Hour Tivo $19.99 AR @ CompUSA

2247 Views 15 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  dolcevita
Title of the thread says it all..

Also in today'spaper - free Tivo with purchase of 32" Phillips LCD tv for $998 at Target.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Note - the CompUSA offer requires the $150 rebate and 12 months service. The Target offer is not eligible for rebates and also requires 12 months service.
stevel said:
requires 12 months service.
That's TiVo's new policy and has nothing to do with any deals offered by retailers. Any new Tivo subscription requires a 12 month commitment. Whether or not Tivo enforces the policy under all circumstances is another question.
I think most Best Buys are out of the 40 hours and tivo.com has been directing people to circuit city now for 40 hours.

Amazon has been using Target to fulfill the orders of 40 hours, so I'm not surprised to see them try to clear stuff out.
My local Best Buy has a pretty healthy stock of 40 hrs and they're priced at $19.99 after rebate as well.
peteypete said:
Amazon has been using Target to fulfill the orders of 40 hours, so I'm not surprised to see them try to clear stuff out.
target and amazon have a very close relationship because of Amazon being behind target's website...shopping
LDavis said:
My local Best Buy has a pretty healthy stock of 40 hrs and they're priced at $19.99 after rebate as well.
The same is true of a couple of Best Buys near me. But Best Buy online isn't listing the 40-hour box, and like pete pointed out, tivo.com is now directing people to Circuit City (it had been Best Buy for some time).

So we've got:
  1. Comp USA with a "clearance" on the 40-hour boxes
  2. Amazon and TiVo both sold out
  3. Best Buy sold out online, and with a $19.99 deal in stores (which they're not promoting)
  4. (edit) Target also with a promotion to move 40-hour boxes
So is this just an inventory shortage, or are we seeing the end of the 40-hour box?
I almost want to buy one for a backup unit. Almost.
My tivo just died after 3 months. If I get one of these $20 deals, would I still get the rebate since I am only 3 months in to my required 12 months of service with the broken box? Tivo told me that I have to pay them $49 to get a refurbished box! And the thing is about 95 days old!
Just to make sure I get this right (this is a big purchase for us):

Buy Tivo at CompUSA for $200 minus the $30 instant rebate.

Contact Tivo and buy a 12mo. subscription, then send in for the $150 rebate.

After activating 12mo. subscription, call Tivo again and convert to a lifetime subscription (they credit whatever was paid for the 12mo. subscription towards a lifetime subscription if I do this relatively promptly - say within two weeks.)

Did I omit or misunderstand anything?
Not necessary. You can pay monthly. The 12 month commitment does not need to be paid upfront.

After activating 12mo. subscription, call Tivo again and convert to a lifetime subscription (they credit whatever was paid for the 12mo. subscription towards a lifetime subscription if I do this relatively promptly - say within two weeks.)
Not necessary. If you want a lifetime subscription you can pay for it at the time of activation. The 12 month commitment is a minimum and lifetime is longer than that - or more money anyway.

Yes, it's quite a bit simpler than you think.

1) Buy a Tivo.
2) Activate lifetime service via the TiVo website
3) Send in for the rebate
Deming said:

mick is correct, but there is another way that avoids having to send in (and wait) for a rebate, but it costs $10 more. I think it is a good trade-off.
  1. Go to tivo.com, click on 'web specials' and buy a 40-hour refurbished TiVo with 12 months prepaid service (instant $150 rebate, no forms to fill out)
  2. When your box arrives, set it up and call TiVo to activate the service, at which time you tell them you want to upgrade the service to lifetime and you'll pay the difference between the 12 month prepay and the lifetime.
You're done. Enjoy.
First, thank all of you for your help....

The part I wrote about first getting the 12mo subscription then upgrading to a lifetime came from talking to a Tivo rep on the phone. I was told that signing up for the 12mo subscription was MANDATORY to getting the $150 rebate. The rep also said that once I had bought and registered the 12mo subscription I could then upgrade it.

You're certainly right that we could go refurb, but we thought that paying $10 more at CompUSA was worth it esp. since our subscription would be for the lifetime of the box itself. Also, we thought that we'd price the CompUSA warranty for just that reason.

That help explain the rationale behind what I originally wrote?

Deming
LDavis said:
Gosh, who was that guy that got chewed out on the forum for saying TiVo could start giving 40 hour TiVos away? :rolleyes:
Deming said:
I was told that signing up for the 12mo subscription was MANDATORY to getting the $150 rebate.
I understand what you were saying better now, thanks. I have a couple of minor points of clarification: 1) In the scenario you describe above, the new user does have to agree to a 12 month subscription, but he doesn't have to pay for the whole thing all at once, he just pays 12.95 per month (unless he wants lifetime, then he pays $299 up front). In the scenario I described, you would prepay for 12 months service when you bought the box, but then upgrade to lifetime when you activate. 2) I don't think I was clear: the Comp USA route is actually $10 cheaper, but you have the hassle of dealing with the rebate; my way was $10 more expensive, but no rebate hassle, and your up front cash layout is less (because you don't have to wait for the rebate). 3) The refurb boxes are effectively new, so the expected life of the product should not be an issue.
See less See more
Deming said:

As others mentioned, you can sign up for lifetime when you activate your Tivo.

Also, be sure to sign up for the Tivo rewards programs so you can earn credits towards goodies when you talk your friends into buying Tivo too! And be sure to give referral credit to the appropriate party who turned you onto Tivo.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.