TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very happy with my HD Tivo (other than it is a little slow) and the rest of the family is very happy with the SD tivo on the smaller HD TV - they must have 40 season passes and it works very fast. It also looks good and they are not as obsessed with HD.

I am concerned as many are that the new D*HD_DVR will not be as user friendly as the HD Tivo so I am thinking about getting a 2nd HR-250 while I still can. My location will be number 50 or so in getting local channels in HD, however, I already get OTA locals in HD with great reception so the D*HD-DVR does little for me.

Maybe I should just get the 2nd HR10-250 and if everyone likes the new D* HD-DVR then I could upgrade at little cost ( I hear $99 if you dont have HD locals). The other risk I run is the family being unhappy with how slow the HR10-250 works. So far, I have "left well enough alone". Any thoughts?

·
Just hangin'
12,629 Posts
coachO said:
My location will be number 50 or so in getting local channels in HD, however, I already get OTA locals in HD with great reception so the D*HD-DVR does little for me.
Why do you say the HD DVR does little for you? It can record your OTA as well as DirecTV HD channels.

·
Poster of News
30,419 Posts
Yes I think he means he's not 'excited' about the upcoming new one as he's happy with what he has. I think if you have great OTA, getting another HDtivo is best I would think. It's a known commodity. And hey, if the new thing is great, you can always sell the hdtivo to most people on this forum :)

Of course you have to worry about the rest of the family not liking the slowness of the guide. only you can measure how important that is.

·
HD evangelist
2,517 Posts
This is also kind of how I approached it. I bought an original HR10 at about $850 (a year ago) and added a 500G drive. Then I got a second one at $199 last summer, and did not upgrade it. My thinking is that I can keep both, and eventually upgrade the second (storage capacity) if the NDS box proves to be a stinker, or I don't need whatever is available in MPEG-4. That should carry me through for another 3 years, and I have yet to see any PVR that was either still running or not hopelessly obsolete in 3 years.

If there is ever a compelling reason to have MPEG-4, or the NDS box turns out to be a winner, or both, I can swap the second box, which would give me MPEG-4 capability without removing the ability to get everything else OTA or as MPEG-2 on the original, 83-hour HR10, and without sacrificing Tivo functionality on my primary PVR. And in the mean time I'm not waiting for technology. I have four tuners and plenty of storage. I just wish I could network the Now Playing lists together into one.

·
Just hangin'
12,629 Posts
I was more concerned that he thought that the HD DVR wouldn'r work with OTA. He basically implied that.

Here's the original quote that took me on the wrong road.
I already get OTA locals in HD with great reception so the D*HD-DVR does little for me.
A note to all posters. Please post as much info as you can and exactly what you mean.:)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments and "reading between the lines". Tyrone, did the speed of your unit change with the 500gb?

·
Registered
32 Posts
JimSpence said:
I was more concerned that he thought that the HD DVR wouldn'r work with OTA. He basically implied that.

Here's the original quote that took me on the wrong road.

A note to all posters. Please post as much info as you can and exactly what you mean.:)
I read it as he already gets his locals OTA, so until more than locals are offered MPEG4, the new unit doesn't give him any new channels or functionality. Same boat here. I get all my locals OTA, so I don't have a compelling reason to upgrade to the NDS HD DVR.

·
Registered
35 Posts
coachO said:
Thanks for the comments and "reading between the lines". Tyrone, did the speed of your unit change with the 500gb?
I upgraded my hr10 to 2x400gb hds before the 500gb was available and yes, the unit is still slow. HOWEVER, rumors persist that we will be getting the 6.2 software update (we are currently running 3.1.5f) "SOON" and this issue will be resolved. We can only hope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.