TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
AFAIK the version on the System Info screen is read from the database not the build-version file, whereas the daily call (TClient-lib.itcl) checks the build-version file and sends that version to the server. I suspect the database and hence the on-screen display will be updated after a successful daily call.

As I don't have a 'proper' 2.55a machine myself (ie. one that the TiVo servers think has 2.5.5a) I haven't been able to check this, but nobody has reported that this method doesn't work for them, so it seems reasonable to assume it does :)

If your machine is a 'proper' 2.5.5a box then maybe you could try it and report back?

No, I'm in the same boat at you.

I think the process works ok, I just had a requirement to make a previous 2.5.5 image into 2.5.5a and then have it put back in a box that was registered to have 2.5.5a so hence when I couldn't see 2.5.5a in the system information screen despite putting the version file in, I figured that perhaps these 2 x files were not the only change after-all.

Your database theory sounds right though and I'm sure if I could have called home with a 2.5.5a account, the database would have been updated.

So did the version on the System Info screen change after the daily call?

I don't really want to request 2.5.5a on a box that doesn't have it just to check.... :)

I know how you feel - I've just had to do that too :(

Maybe I'll request an upgrade on one of my spare lifetime subbed machines... in the extreme case where somebody needs to use that machine to record subtitles I guess I could always do the opposite of what's discussed in this thread and put a 2.5.5 pxmpegdecode.o on a 2.5.5a box while leaving the build-version and database at 2.5.5a ;)

To
Mike Jones , mike0151, Dougal, blindlemon and the rest

You guys are stars!!!!!********!!!!!!!!

Bought a new Sony 23" WEGA LCD yesterday, got it home first thing I tried was with tivo, spent the next 2 hours wondering WTF was going on after trying every combination of DVD, ondig box's that were working perfectly and even rgbtosvid and rgbtocomponent converters both of which worked perfectly when been driven by tivo.

Went to bed at 5am ! thinking that it was the composite pin that was causing the issues and which one to pull.
After a bit of a search found the teletext bugs then the resolution of upgrade but as I have a cachecard after my modem chip refused to work at all I didn't fancy pulling the HD and doing the cachecard install again.

The solution of ftping 1 file across is brilliant and was done in 1 min.

Thanks again guys - this should be added to the sticky I think as its priceless.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

John

I have just downloaded the zip file again as a test and extracted it OK. Did you have problems unzipping it or in using the file in it? If the latter, are you sure you transferred it in Binary mode?

Firefox doesn't like the file.

Until I figure out why (or just how to fix it), please download it with IE or get the attachment from here

blindlemon said:
I know how you feel - I've just had to do that too :(

Maybe I'll request an upgrade on one of my spare lifetime subbed machines... in the extreme case where somebody needs to use that machine to record subtitles I guess I could always do the opposite of what's discussed in this thread and put a 2.5.5 pxmpegdecode.o on a 2.5.5a box while leaving the build-version and database at 2.5.5a ;)
I know its been a long time since we talked about this, but I thought I'd just update.

I now have a customers tivo that was already 2.5.5a
I burnt a 2.5.5 image, copied the two 2.5.5a files "pxmpegdecode.o" and "build-version" into the appropriate directories.

Checked the Sys Info screen and it still states 2.5.5
As we said before this is because this screen reads the software version value from the database which is still 2.5.5 rather than the build-version file.

On making the daily call however I can confirm a software update is still initiated!
So the cross reference with the EPG server and the Tivo system must be using the database rather than the build-version file.

.....following on from the previous message:

I have now managed to test the same scenario with the additon of modifying the software version in the database to 2.5.5a-01-1-023 and it works.

So not only from a physical software modification point of view (e.g. the copying of the two files), but from also from a reporting point of view (e.g. satisfying the EPG servers that they don't need to do anything because we match software versions), the first call in just jumps straight to downloading EPG data.

Hi,

I am in the middle of redoing my 250Gb drive and Blindlemon has shown me where the 2.5.5a mods are kept and i have down loaded them. I do not have a CacheCard yet and hence need to install the mod files whilst the drive is plugged into the computer IDE cables. Can someone give me a line by line explaination of how i copy them on to over ride the 2.5.5 files. I have no Linux experience and feel on the limit of my knowledge at the moment anyway.

Thanks for all the help so far throughout the forum.

Hi,

I am off work today and was hoping to get my Tivo back up and running today. Can someone please help me by explaining where i need to extract the zip files to (CD rom i presume) and what i have to type to over write the 2.5.5 files for my previously 2.5.5a files. I am right in thinking that as Tivo CS think that i want 2.5.5a i need to copy both files accross so that they don't try and send the info again.

I just want to get my tivo back to working condition and install the CacheCard software so i can spend some of my birthday money on the card!!

Thanks

You need to boot from the SiliconDust NIC CD then mount partition 4 of the drive with the following command:-

mkdir /mnt/tivo
mount /dev/hdX4 /mnt/tivo

(where hdX is hdb,hdc or hdd depending on which IDE port your drive is connected to)

You will also need to copy the files from the zip to a floppy and mount that with

mkdir /mnt/floppy
mount /dev/fd0 -t vfat /mnt/floppy

You should then be able to copy the files across - eg.

mv /mnt/tivo/etc/build-version /mnt/tivo/etc/build-version.old
cp /mnt/floppy/build-version /mnt/tivo/etc/build-version

mv /mnt/tivo/lib/modules/pxmpegdecode.o /mnt/tivo/lib/modules/pxmpegdecode.o.old
cp /mnt/floppy/pxmpegdecode.o.255a /mnt/tivo/lib/modules/pxmpegdecode.o

Just wanted to say a big THANLYOU to everyone. I had moved my Tivo to my new Sony TV and it just kept booting fine and then going black. If you flicked to the AUX and back to TIVO it came back for a min or so often in Grey.

I installed the revised file following Mike Jones instructions and it works perfectly now.... BIG THANKYOU.

I am a complete novice to Ftp etc but it was very simple to do

Cliff

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.