TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my SVR-2000 with a 160GB HDD finally crapped out and i'm trying to setup a new 400GB single A drive. I'm pretty sure this can be done. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this upgrade. I tried the Hinsdale guide along with MFS 2.0 and everything looked great. It said I now have 432 hours of recording time so I popped it in my tivo and got the dreaded "severe error" screen. I know I'm not doing something right so any help appreciated. TIA :)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Sounds like you forgot the -r 4 switch right before the -xzpi part. Also be sure to run the following commands after the restore:

mountcd
copykern

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Fun, you are correct I didn't use the -r 4 but in the hinsdale guide it says that step can be switched with this "mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc" command letting me restore and expand all at once. Also where do I step by step intructions?

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
Yes, as the latter commands fix the kernel on the TiVo drive to recognize LBA48, which MFStools does not do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's my step by step incase anyone needs a guide. Also I'm at work so I haven't tested and if anyone sees anything wrong please correct me:

1. downloaded the "ptvlba48-4.04" file and burned the as .iso disc
2. hooked up drive for backup
3. mount /dev/hdW1 /mnt
4. mfsbackup -f 9999 -1so /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hdX
5. rebooted and switched drives
6. mount /dev/hdW1 /mnt
7. mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -zxpi /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hdZ
8. new drive now showing 4XX hours
9. mountcd
10. copykern and followed steps for stand alone 3.0

1 - 7 of 7 Posts