Zoom on movie

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tommage1, Aug 30, 2018.

1. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

This is weird. I have a movie recorded on a Roamio. Recorded on an OTA station called "Grit". Was recorded this July. When watching the movie I can use zoom as full, panel or zoom and it changes the picture size. Yesterday the same movie recorded on the same station on the same Roamio. However when watching the new recording the zoom button does nothing, it displays in what seems to be panel mode only (when I push the button it says zoom, panel or full but nothing actually happens with the picture). I've seen this before with some recent recordings, why? Something with the way the channel is broadcasting or the way the Tivo is recording?

2. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Did Grit go HD? Only non HD shows can use zoom, panel or full.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes. If your channel is 1080i/720p but you are watching an old 3x4 program, the Zoom ability is ignored. If you are watching a 480i channel that is already showing barn doors, Zoom will work. Most televisions will always Zoom, etc. and don't care about the source.

4. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    It still shows 480i. Pretty much everything on Grit is old shows, 60s, 70s older. They must have changed something with the broadcasting over the past month or two though. I just checked a live show, 480i, panel, no zoom function. I watch a lot of really old OTA shows, am going to check some other channels and see if this is just a Grit thing.

5. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

Don't know, still shows 480i. But something must have changed.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you have a show with panels on both sides, Zoom should work. But some stations include the "wide screen" bit on everything, messing up the TiVo. My TV ignores the bit and allows Zoom, S&P and Full for all content. Also, some televisions don't check the aspect ratio when it's from an HDMI input.

7. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Did some further research, 4 channels owned by same company are like this now, Grit, LaffTV, Bounce and Escape. 3 different broadcast frequencies but owned by same company. Must have happened after Aug 1st as I have a recording from Aug 1st from Laff that zoom still works. Currently most shows on these stations are panel type and zoom does not function BUT the commercials do fill the entire screen. I go through a receiver with HDMI for pretty much everything. I think I have my receiver setup for 1080P output only, not direct. Might be fun to play with that.

8. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It is not strictly if it is SD or HD. It is if the wide screen bit is set. SD can be broadcast in 16x9 and if it is, zoom will not work.

I have seen two of the same sub channel station in my two markets act differently because one was 16x9 and the other was 4x3. Both 480i.

tommage1 likes this.
  9. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Must be it, the company that owns or broadcasts those 4 stations must have set the wide screen bit sometime after August 1st. Learn something new here almost everytime I visit.

10. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Yes, the station broadcaster has full control of allowing you to change the aspect ratio or not. While it GENERALLY follows the HD/SD format on what your zoom button will do, it does not have to.

When our local PBS station first picked up the FNX network, they broadcast it on an SD channel, but they fixed the format to 16:9 widescreen. The problem was, they were getting a mixed feed from FNX, with some programs in 4:3 and some in letterboxed 16:9, so this unchangeable zoom totally destroyed may programs (especially those with subtitles). I "fought" with their engineer and station manager for many months, giving them technical information and evidence of how they were screwing things up before they finally changed it so we could zoom or un-zoom as we wished. It seemed that they were assuming that every single TV in use on the local Indian reservations must be an old SD 4:3 set, so they thought they were doing everyone a favor by never letting them see the black letterbox bars!

There is software available to the station to dynamically set the widescreen bit correctly based on actual program content (it even changes with commercials), but most of the low-budget places refuse to use it.

There are also a couple of common "oldies" stations that set their aspect ratio for old 4:3 TV programs to a half-zoom and lock it there (that makes the pillar-box bars smaller, but still cuts off an inch or two of the top and bottom). That really pisses me off, so even though I like a lot of their programming, I refuse to ever watch them at all.

11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I wonder what the dynamic change to the widescreen bit does to a TiVo? Does it detect it on the fly or does it only determine it when it tunes the station?

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I've watched Comet and seen its normal 4x3 change to 16x9 (poor quality) for commercials. But it probably depends on the network, station and program. My TV is set to not change aspect ratio automatically.