Zippered DirecTiVo Reboots every 20 minutes

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by MurrayW, Jul 23, 2007.

1. MurrayW

MurrayW Murray

Aug 28, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have a Hughes HDVR2 zippered DirecTiVo with 2 drives: WD 250G and Seagate 400G. It ran fine for about 8 months. In the past 2 months, it has been rebooting about every 20 minutes. This was a secondary box so I haven't been in a hurry to fix it.

I took the drives out today and ran both WD's and Seagate's long diagnostic tests on them and they both passed. I have monitored the temperature from the system page and haven't seen any difference in the reported temperatures in the time before it reboots and the time just before it reboots -- typically around 45 C.

I suspect that it is a hardware problem, but since I have the drives out, would it be worthwhile to re-zipper them? Does this sound like it could be a power supply problem? What else should I look for?

I have a spare RCA DVR40 laying around, I should be able to just put the drives into that unit and activate it correct?

Sorry for all these questions!

thanks,
    Murray

2. tward_biteme1

tward_biteme1 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Maryland, USA.
    Do you connect it to a UPS? Could be some kind of power problem....

Maybe a power supply problem..

3. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Also what version of the OS is running on the unit? I remeber back in Dec there was an issue with enhanced guide data that was causing problems with SP not recording. One of the things I thought 6.2a did was fix that issue as well as the DST change.

4. MurrayW

MurrayW Murray

Aug 28, 2005
    Austin, TX
    No, it is not connected to a UPS...that is one of the things that I am going to do when I reinstall it. However, I don't think it is a problem with the power that is being supplied to it. I have an HR10-250 sitting right next to it plugged into the same powerstrip and I am not having any problems with the HR10-250. I guess I could try changing the outlet on the powerstrip that they are plugged into to eliminate that outlet on the powerstrip as a possiblity.

thanks,
    Murray

5. MurrayW

MurrayW Murray

Aug 28, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I am still on 6.2...I never updated for DST. I've got several other DirecTiVo's running 6.2 that get the same guide data that don't have any problems like this...not to say it couldn't be some software/hardware interaction with this particular box.

thanks,
    Murray

6. MurrayW

MurrayW Murray

Aug 28, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Also, one other thing I forgot to add in the original description of the problem. Just prior to the reboot, the picture will pause and pixilate for a few seconds, recover back to normal for about 5 seconds then reboot. This has happened every time that I sat there watching for the reboot.