zipper erase windows?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by dia_cero2002, Mar 24, 2008.

1. dia_cero2002

dia_cero2002 New Member

Feb 27, 2004

Advertisements

I have a drive that I've been using in my pc for quite a while. I just upgraded to a larger sata drive. My friend has been asking me to get him a new drive for his directivo series 2 for a while. So, I decided to just give him my drive that I was using in my pc and use the zipper to load the software to that drive. My question is this: I have documents and info on that drive that I don't want him to see. I would just connect it to my pc and use the pc to reformat the drive, but I already installed a sata drive and when I connect the old ide drive, vista doesn't recognize it so I can't check if the info is gone or not. If I use the zipper on the drive to just restore the stock image(no hacks), will it overwrite/delete the documents and info that I don't want anyone to see? Thanks.

2. SHAPPPY

SHAPPPY New Member

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It might be able but it would cost a lot of$,s for him or have some one else do it "thousands"

3. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Or free with any number of tools found on the internet. After purchasing a few TB's of disk space, I went through my old drives (failed or otherwise), and was able to restore most of my data that I thought was gone forever.

I don't have any information to the OP's question though.

4. ss_sea_ya

ss_sea_ya New Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Alexandria, VA
    Run the mfr diagnostics on it from a boot disk.

5. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000

Advertisements

I'd recommend just zeroing the drive. At that point, recovery of your data would be very expensive (several thousands of dollarx). If it's worth that much to him, he can buy a lot of hard drives for that cash and you can keep your old one.

Most manufacturers have utilities that will initialize/zero the disk. Zero the entire thing.

6. hdog

hdog hdog

Nov 10, 2002
    Lisle, IL
  7. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    As Worf suggested, zero out the drive. You can run the manufacturer's diagnostic software and perform a low level format or search the web and find a freeware utility. I found one on hddguru.com that seems to work pretty well.