zero signal strengh on some channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by gdomeier, Nov 11, 2011.

1. gdomeier

gdomeier New Member

Nov 6, 2001
    Sartell, MN USA
    In the past couple weeks I have noticed some of my channels are giving a gray screen with the "searching for signal" message. I went into diagnostics, and the channels with this problem are showing zero signal.

My cable provider is charter. Some of the problem channel are bbca, boomerang, teen nick, and a bunch of others. I know for sure this wasn't a problem when Doctor Who was showing the last episodes of series 6, since I was able to watch them.

Before I descend into the hell that is charter support, any suggestions on what may be causing the problem?

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Hook another cable box or Tivo to the same outlet to see if it has the same issues.

3. gdomeier

gdomeier New Member

Nov 6, 2001
    Sartell, MN USA
    Thanks, I am going to call charter today and see if I can get a box to test.

4. gdomeier

gdomeier New Member

Nov 6, 2001
    Sartell, MN USA
    Charter had an opening and came over this morning. Turns out they are changing how they send some channels. They are gradually moving some to this "on demand" method to free up bandwidth for internet and additional hd channels.

The tech installed a tuning adapter and it working as expected. Fyi in case anyone else runs into this problem.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Note that needing a tuning adapter (SDV channels) is not the same as "on demand".

6. gdomeier

gdomeier New Member

Nov 6, 2001
    Sartell, MN USA
    Thanks for the clarification. That was the term he used to describe it. I got the impression he was trying to dumb it down for me :)