You've now seen it in HD; What shows can't you go back to in SD

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ebonovic, Jan 20, 2006.

1. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Advertisements

Now that I have been watching HD programming for about 2 years now...

What shows out there, can you simply not watch in SD anymore?

For me:
    All the CSIs
    Football in general
    The L&O's are getting there, but I occasionally don't have a choice.
    Alias
    E-Ring

I have actually waited for BSG to be in HD to watch Season 2

2. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    I was wondering if anyone was actually going to do that. Is Universal HD showing season 2.0 yet?

3. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Yep, they started about 3 weeks ago... This upcomming Sunday is Episode 4

4. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    LOST.

That's the big one. And sports. I am <cringe> getting my cableco's DVR just so I can record HD until the S3 comes out.

5. Chandler Mike

Chandler Mike Lost

Mar 29, 2002
    Chandler, AZ

Advertisements

I can't watch anything in SD after seeing it in HD... :)

But CSI and Lost are beautiful in HD...

Mike

6. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    All of them. :(

If I can watch it in HD then I have to take the time and make sure not to miss it when it shows and just deal with the commercials. I still pick up my remote and press 30SS though.....

/me sighs

7. Chandler Mike

Chandler Mike Lost

Mar 29, 2002
    Chandler, AZ
    Ah yes, Football...I really can't watch SD football anymore...

8. tecban

tecban New Member

Oct 10, 2005
    GR, MI
    Lost for sure, but really we make a point to watch everything in HD that we like. As mentioned, sports are dramatically better in HD. I just wish Comcast and CBS would get with the program, because it's hard to watch those AFC games!

It didn't take long for HD to change the paradigm from a choice between "regular TV" and "extra-nice HDTV" to a choice between "good TV" and "crappy regular TV."

9. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I envy you all your HD. I'm still with my 60" SD and will probably continue till it dies (7 years old) or I inherit or hit the lotto..

10. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

I can send my 4.5 year old over... I am sure he could find a way to speed up the process... (and I don't mean picking the correct lotto numbers)

11. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Yep, HDTV becomes the norm and everything else looks like crap.

My Tivo made me so used to DVR funtionality that when I got HD, I just had to get the cable co one, even though its functionality is far inferior.

12. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Since I've had my HD Tivo for almost 2 years now I don't watch anything in SD that's available in HD. But a funny opposite story. I saw a commercial in SD that had 2 of the women from Desperate Housewives. In SD Nicole Sheridan and Marcia Cross looked gorgeous. In HD, not so much :)

13. NoThru22

NoThru22 Smelly Pirate Hooker

May 6, 2005
    Bel Air, MD
    Lost and 24 are some of my big ones. Last year when I started getting Enterprise off bittorrent I couldn't bear to watch the UPN SD feed. Alias. My Name is Earl because of the in-jokes.

14. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Ahh... I forgot 24 on my list...

If they would have gotten Enterprise to HD a year earlier.. we may still have Enterprise today... (Okay... i am getting slap happy on a Friday after noon.)

15. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    There is no HD anymore. There's SD and CD.

You see, HD is now my Standard Definition, and the rest is Crappy Definition.

16. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    I just won't watch in SD if there's a choice. I started watching Nip/Tuck on DVD, and I could have caught up when the latest DVD release came out in the fall, and watched the latest season on TiVo, but even going from DVD to SD is too much of a drop in quality. Now, I'm recording Veronica Mars in SD (my UPN affiliate has a very weak signal), and planning to start season 1 on DVD soon. If the show is as good as the hype, I may watch season 2 in SD when I'm done with season 1.

To answer the question directly, I don't understand why one would go back. If you've seen a show in HD, that generally means it's available in HD.

17. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Lost & Vegas and CSI are the big ones for me.

Lost has great scenery, Vegas has great scenery :) and CSI and CSI:Miami just look damn good. CSI:Miami better since it's mostly during the day, vs CSI's mostly night scenes.

Every network show I watch that has an HD feed I watch in HD. There's only a few non-reality shows that i watch that aren't in HD. Scrubs being one. Everybody hates Chris I think is another. It says HDTV but since i've been recording it off of OTA UPN it hasn't been.

-smak-

18. steelcurtain

steelcurtain New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    Sadly, I can't watch Las Vegas in HD, as my local (crappy) NBC affiliate refuses to pass along the HD feed. But everything else on the networks I watch in HD. My favorites are Lost, CSI, My Name Is Earl and The Office.

19. Mabes

Mabes Ex-Smoker

Jan 12, 2001
    Warwick RI
    It's kind of sad in a way but I watch almost nothing except HD. The Shield, for example, a lot of people rave about it and I've seen a few episodes and I like it, but the picture is so bad it's just not a must. Not only is it SD, it's bad SD for some reason on my cable. I tell myself I'll wait until it's available in HD, I hope it was shot on film.

I'll watch Nip/Tuck, it's SD but it's letterboxed so I can zoom it to fill my screen.

A big part of the problem is that my TV puts in grey sidebars which are REALLY distracting. On HD channels, when they do show an SD show, the bars are black. Same on DVDs. So maybe it's actually the channel that determines the color, but in any case I can't adjust it. But I simply cannot abide an SD program with grey sidebars.

20. stitch626

stitch626 Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Stinky...
    24 for me is outstanding because not only is it the visuals but also I think it's one of the shows where they do a fantastic and really effective use of a 5.1 mix compared to a lot of shows on TV

Lost is also great visually in HD and I can't see watching it anymore in SD.

Shows like CSI or the other CBS shows all just seem to have a weird color balance which I've never liked about their HD programming.

NBC consistently seems to drop the ball when it comes to their HD programming- mainly because the local NBC affiliate here really lags behind (no 5.1 surround sound) and they use this annoying stretch on their SD content which I hate (not to mention they really eat into their available bandwidth by having to broadcast that NBC Weather+ on one of their subchannels)